Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

@WinterWxLuvr 

Look at the left hand side of the sounding. The bar graph shows omega/lift at various altitudes. The denritic growth zone (DGZ) is marked in red. Super short answer is you want the biggest bars between the red lines. On this sounding car alarms are going off and visibility is -.5 miles. Yes, it's a minus sign. You can only see what happened half a mile ago cuz it's atomic puking

iIZiaWY.png

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

@WinterWxLuvr 

Look at the left hand side of the sounding. The bar graph shows omega/lift at various altitudes. The denritic growth zone (DGZ) is marked in red. Super short answer is you want the biggest bars between the red lines. On this sounding car alarms are going off and visibility is -.5 miles. Yes, it's a minus sign. You can only see what happened half a mile ago cuz it's atomic puking

iIZiaWY.png

Thank you 

49 minutes ago, Derecho! said:

1993 Storm of the Century I was in New Jersey. I could JUMP UP AND DOWN on the ice without breaking through to the snow. 

I was living in South Jersey near Philly. Neighbor went into labor. We were out in pouring thunder sleet trying to dig her out to the main road. We had about a foot of snow in just a few hours then several hours of driving sleet. Then in the dry slot it warmed up to like 40 and everything packed down and froze into 6” of solid ice you couldn’t do anything with. 

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I was living in South Jersey near Philly. Neighbor went unto labor. We were out in pouring thunder sleet trying to dig him out to the main road. We had about a foot of snow in just a few hours then several hours of driving sleet. Then in the dry slot it warmed up to like 40 and everything packed down and froze into 6” of solid ice you couldn’t do anything with. 

Exactly how it was in eastern Loudoun. I could not walk up my yard to get to my house. I just kept sliding down the 5 inches of solid ice. I had to crawl up the hill to get into my house. Was absolutely nuts. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, notvirga! said:

I would not be at all disappointed with a feb 14, 07 sleet/snow storm repeat; it’s one of my favorite storms of all time. Nearly 7 inches of sleet in Winchester and a glacier for the next month. 

I remember this storm. I think I went to bed in DC expecting to wake up to a lot of snow. I woke, and thought, "Yes, there is a lot of snow on the roads.'  But as I left for work or wherever, I realized I was driving though inches and inches of unplowed sleet on DC city streets. It was nasty.  I think I went of out of town, but recall then hearing stories of how it all froze solid that night -- before DC could plow the sleet away -- and everything turned into an inches-thick coat of solid  ice on DC streets, for days. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I was living in South Jersey near Philly. Neighbor went unto labor. We were out in pouring thunder sleet trying to dig him out to the main road. We had about a foot of snow in just a few hours then several hours of driving sleet. Then in the dry slot it warmed up to like 40 and everything packed down and froze into 6” of solid ice you couldn’t do anything with. 

You forgot the light rain at the end sun coming out and a rainbow true at least in Delaware County. 

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

<banter>

Trying to figure out how 'he' went into labor, but I digress ...

</banter>

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@WinterWxLuvr 

Thats exactly what i was going to say

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm pretty sure January.  The one where 30 miles north it was 18" snow amounts 

Had to be January.  I had two of my first three weeks of a new semester at college cancelled.  I also remember the snow, sleet ice.....so thick that I couldn't break through either.