Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, WVclimo said:

The 12k NAM output for here matches February 14, 2007.  3-6" of snow then 3" of sleet before a quarter-inch of freezing rain.  That one was one of the most impactful winter storms I've seen here. Only time I could walk on top of snowpack without breaking through. Just a surreal scene.

1993 Storm of the Century I was in New Jersey. I could JUMP UP AND DOWN on the ice without breaking through to the snow. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I can remember sliding down my yard with the 93 ice storm. This one would be just as bad. 3 inches of concrete. 

I remember visiting my uncle who lived on the side of the ridge that runs along the WV VA border just south of Harpers Ferry during one of the ice storms in 1994 and sledding down the roads watch we’re impassible with the old school wood/metal sleds. We went for miles at definitely unsafe speeds. 

• Like 1

was looking at the earlier runs and it seemed like the nam was trying to phase early with that ns energy.  that might have been why there was such a large plume of moisture out ahead of the system and/or just a response to the convection down south.  the precip shield looked more like a cutter than even an apps runner.  either way, it's not common to have gulf moisture overruning temps in the mid 20s here.  that's a pretty good setup and usually happens with clippers (as far as temps are concerned), though as others have said it would be difficult to avoid a mix with a track too far west.

23 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Toggle the runs...its shifted east like 250 miles in 3 runs.  Maybe they meet at some middle ground but the NAM is not close to the final solution, IMO.

You could be absolutely right. I just think this is a very difficult setup and the models tend not to get the—very important—specifics right till close to game time. And if anything will do that faster it’s the NAM along with other mesos. People are conveniently tossing the RGEM as well too. 

As I said I hope I’m wrong and I’m just bitter at this point. But I think ice is still a better bet and it’ll be tough to ward off upper level warmth. 

35 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

Meh, I still expect us to go non-frozen at some point for sure.  And a bunch of sleet during the day is gonna struggle to accumulate on roads.  It'll be sloppy, for sure.

I mean the NAM is mostly during the day no?  Slop has a hard time accumulating on the roads in DC during the day in mid-late February. 

Sleet would actually accumulate much easier then snow (just not the same kind of totals). Didn’t the sleet bomb in March 2017 accumulate some  And temps look pretty cold and the precip gets going very early.  

28 minutes ago, SnowDreamer said:

IDK, if I'm not mistaken, I believe DCA tends to report really low snow totals at or near local minimums. This is especially true in marginal events like this one. Also the fall line and R/S line aren't the same thing. 

Yeah you might be right. This is my first full winter here. This winter it’s been pretty identical. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@EHoffman even I never said this was a non event. I said it could be more an ice then snow event and I hate ice events. But this looks like a high impact event. 

I know you didn't, somehow I got associated with you even though I never mentioned you.  I do love your analysis though, good stuff.

6 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

You could be absolutely right. I just think this is a very difficult setup and the models tend not to get the—very important—specifics right till close to game time. And if anything will do that faster it’s the NAM along with other mesos. People are conveniently tossing the RGEM as well too. 

As I said I hope I’m wrong and I’m just bitter at this point. But I think ice is still a better bet and it’ll be tough to ward off upper level warmth. 

Nobodys tossing mesos. They will get the warm nose more right than the globals. But we're still 48+ range. Mesos can magnify errors that far out. 24 hours from now is different

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Back in 1994 during the sleet storm I really didn't realize the historic nature of that moment ( almost 6 inches of pure unadulterated sleet accumulation). Just incredible!!. Wish I took pics but I was a dumb ass . :D

I just remember sledding for a half a mile+ without effort because everything was frozen. Damn I miss 94 & 96

• Like 1