Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

We sure did.   But you said....... nevermind.  let's just be happy

NAM is like exactly what I said to expect, slopfest.  If it falls overnight potentially high impact event.  Not like I said this would ever be a huge rainstorm, merely that climo wise seems more like a slopfest than a 6" snowstorm scenario.

• Weenie 1

Just now, EHoffman said:

NAM is like exactly what I said to expect, slopfest.  If it falls overnight potentially high impact event.  Not like I said this would ever be a huge rainstorm, merely that climo wise seems more like a slopfest than a 6" snowstorm scenario.

Definitely 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

I might be remembering wrong - but didn't you actually call for just wet roads and pretty much very low impact in DC? A slopfest is definitely not the same and can be rather high impact. To me...a slopfest is a mixed bag of precip - but doesn't mean low impact. You also said you thought all the models (except the NAM) were going to bust too cold. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Just now, Kmlwx said:

I might be remembering wrong - but didn't you actually call for just wet roads and pretty much very low impact in DC? A slopfest is definitely not the same and can be rather high impact. To me...a slopfest is a mixed bag of precip - but doesn't mean low impact. You also said you thought all the models (except the NAM) were going to bust too cold. 

Your first problem was remembering any EHoff post. I don’t. No point. He cancelled it back at 12z

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Yup

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ehoff has not only moved his own goalposts but doubled down on top of it. 

Meh, I still expect us to go non-frozen at some point for sure.  And a bunch of sleet during the day is gonna struggle to accumulate on roads.  It'll be sloppy, for sure.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

I mean the NAM is mostly during the day no?  Slop has a hard time accumulating on the roads in DC during the day in mid-late February. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 3

Just now, H2O said:

Your first problem was remembering any EHoff post. I don’t. No point. He cancelled it back at 12z

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt - my therapist hasn't quite gotten that part dealt with yet :lol: 

@EHoffman - one thing you've gotta realize....you can't just add the word "climo" into every post and expect it to hold meteorological weight. Yes - DCA climo is warmer than suburbs - but the tarmac at DCA is not the same as NW DC. 

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I mean look at all of the extreme weather going on out there, even if it's not a big snow maker it sure seems like a pretty interesting winter event is heading this way. As long as it isn't just plain freezing rain i'm pretty pumped for whatever comes

Same man.  This was never supposed to be all snow.  In fact, it looked like way more rain than anything.   The snow is a bonus, we were set for sleet/zr.  I'm excited.  Any winter weather person here would be if they had reasonable expectations.  

• Like 6

Just now, EHoffman said:

Meh, I still expect us to go non-frozen at some point for sure.  And a bunch of sleet during the day is gonna struggle to accumulate on roads.  It'll be sloppy, for sure.

I mean the NAM is mostly during the day no?  Slop has a hard time accumulating on the roads in DC during the day in mid-late February. 

Good grief man. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I mean look at all of the extreme weather going on out there, even if it's not a big snow maker it sure seems like a pretty interesting winter event is heading this way. As long as it isn't just plain freezing rain i'm pretty pumped for whatever comes

I am all about high impact events. This one would qualify big time. 

Just now, EHoffman said:

Slop is a mix of mangled wet snowflakes and rain.   This is all frozen.  February isn't May 1st.   Snow has accumulated in the day in late March, and that was without a strong CAD/wedge. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt - my therapist hasn't quite gotten that part dealt with yet :lol: 

@EHoffman - one thing you've gotta realize....you can't just add the word "climo" into every post and expect it to hold meteorological weight. Yes - DCA climo is warmer than suburbs - but the tarmac at DCA is not the same as NW DC. 

The tarmac at DCA is in its own little universe, especially in relation to snow measurements lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

Randy will make us move this to banter at some point, I'm sure BUT - 

I'd argue sleet can be much more impactful if it's really coming down. Little ice pellets take a bit longer to melt than a flakey piece of snow. If it truly is pouring sleet, that can form a crusty covering that would be a lot more awful to drive on than a covering of snow. Add in some FZRA to an untreated road or a bridge/overpass and it's a nightmare. Again - slopfest doesn't mean low impact. White rain perhaps does...but not slopfest. 

If it's dumping sleet I assure you it will not be wet roads everywhere. 

(edited for spelling)

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Tbh despite the fact that you’re right, it barely makes a tangible difference. The fall line has to cut RIGHT across DC for it to make a real difference.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Randy will make us move this to banter at some point, I'm sure BUT - 

I'd argue sleet can me much more impactful if it's really coming down. Little ice pellets take a bit longer to melt than a flakey piece of snow. If it truly is pouring sleet, that can form a crusty covering that would be a lot more awful to drive on than a covering of snow. Add in some FZRA to an untreated road or a bridge/overpass and it's a nightmare. Again - slopfest doesn't mean low impact. White rain perhaps does...but not slopfest. 

If it's dumping sleet I assure you it will not be wet roads everywhere. 

You’re exactly right. I just did an eye roll when I read it. Didn’t have energy to respond.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

15z on Thursday - 90kts at 700 blasting through on the NAM.  Not so much on the GFS.

4EDA5D0B-40BC-4D2D-A630-A7EA108CDBE0.png.cff68c9d0b2c715708e1d657a9a35064.png79D3B1CC-9158-4102-807D-8E531EE13BB9.png.57618dc6a66528be7d88a22f5c06bf22.png

Yeah honestly everyone is saying the NAM caved. It didn’t. Caving would’ve been a similar solution and this is not a similar solution. You can say I’m arguing semantics but I made my call earlier. I think the NAM will end up being closer to the result. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2