• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

My only issue with that is how did things change THAT much over the past several years? 2013-2014 is the coldest, snowiest wall-to-wall winter I can remember in my lifetime. 2014-2015 finished cold and snowy. 2016 had a massive blizzard. March has been a colder, snowier month recently. It's obviously happening and having some kind of impact, but for the impact to be THAT massive in just several years?

my guess is positive feedback loop. The warmer it gets the less snow there is so it is able to get warmer even faster. Also it being a la Nina is a factor. I think we can all agree that a el Nino with a -AO/NAO would have produced a colder result for us. If I am wrong someone please chime in. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Here is a scary thought...Dec and Jan are going to finish VERY -AO/NAO. I guarantee you this will be by far the warmest such two month period and it’s likely not even close. 

I think a big reason is that it’s pretty rare historically to see that sort of combo in a mod Niña.  Now this winter has acted more as a raging El Niño pattern wise than a mod Niña up until the recent shift of that ridge in the PAC which is more a Niña signal.  I just feel that if we tried inserting a raging -AO/NAO combo into winters like 98-99 or 88-89 it still would have been mild.  The PAC state just usually is too crappy to overcome   

• Thanks 1

Just now, Wentzadelphia said:

The 6z and 00z gfs would have had ptype issues too but  they were just stronger, closed off earlier,  and thus dynamics took over in the ccb much faster 

Almost all of the members that got good snow here were warmish/rainy to start. Not many southern tracks either. Still pretty far out, but it appears this will have to evolve almost perfectly wrt to strength and track. What else is new? 

13 minutes ago, GEOS5ftw said:

GFS showing my concern from last night about the lingering low up in PA preventing the cold press in the boundary layer. Thus we rely on dynamic cooling which is going to be very dependent on where the bands set up (if this gets within meso range, expect to see colder sfc temps line up with heavier precip). Weaker system means we lose this effect and get rain. Good news I guess is that this is the bias I'd expect the GFS to show at this range and the para looks good. I'd still rather see the progression that Canadian was showing last night - it moved the low out of PA faster and had a better CAD setup ahead of the storm. But it is trending towards the GFS setup at 12Z.

Sounds like an early March Storm 

Just now, Quasievil said:

My thought exactly, maybe what ultimately get what the EURO is showing but to think it's a lock now is absurd.

Temps are almost always a concern here.  More so this year.  The problem with those weenie runs is setting the expectation bar too high.  

• Like 2