• Member Statistics

    16,680
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    sereinwriter
    Newest Member
    sereinwriter
    Joined
BullCityWx

January 8th event obs

Recommended Posts

Walnut Cove. Rain. Not a sign of snow on any roof or anything. At my work in Kernersville about 18 miles away everything was covered and it was snowing hard. Amazing what a difference there is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrapping up here as mostly rain, few wet flakes mixed in. Nothing even close to sticking. Not a total bust, since it did indeed briefly snow hard, and we were never going to get more than an inch, but I'll call it a semi-bust. Just once in my life, I'd like to see one of these events trend colder and overperform.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Wrapping up here as mostly rain, few wet flakes mixed in. Nothing even close to sticking. Not a total bust, since it did indeed briefly snow hard, and we were never going to get more than an inch, but I'll call it a semi-bust. Just once in my life, I'd like to see one of these events trend colder and overperform.

Amen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went west and it was snow and sleet in Alamance. Just rain here in Raleigh still but temp dropping. This is a BL bust overall.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I went west and it was snow and sleet in Alamance. Just rain here in Raleigh still but temp dropping. This is a BL bust overall.

Hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I went west and it was snow and sleet in Alamance. Just rain here in Raleigh still but temp dropping. This is a BL bust overall.

Burlington made it to 40 today 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes things just don’t break your way at all with these storms. If we had more QPF this morning, we would’ve had accumulation easily. I left with a coating of snow and sleet on my car today. Starting with 18z yesterday, there’s been a hole over Durham and Wake Counties on the short range modeling and seemingly they are accurate with that. We don’t have the lift here that they’ve seen west, south and probably east of us will see. 
 

it’s a good thing I considered anything from this event a bonus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Burlington made it to 40 today 

In Burlington (1 mi ESE of Elon) - started seeing snow mixing @ 430pm. But it stayed very mixed with sleet until ~5:30pm. 5:30-7:45pm huge fluffy snow but marginal temps - struggled to have 1/2" at most to show for it. Mixing back now w/ sleet and maybe rain, big fluffies gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

Radar is drying out, so Triangle is about to get shafted. Haha cannot win here!

The triangle has done quite well if you count back the last five years or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32.5 and still have some very light snow coming down.  Ended up with right under 2”.  It was almost all snow from start to finish save a couple of brief sleet and mixing moments.  There was a lot of melting early on that hurt totals.  I have no right to complain given how this storm played out overall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Sometimes things just don’t break your way at all with these storms. If we had more QPF this morning, we would’ve had accumulation easily. I left with a coating of snow and sleet on my car today. Starting with 18z yesterday, there’s been a hole over Durham and Wake Counties on the short range modeling and seemingly they are accurate with that. We don’t have the lift here that they’ve seen west, south and probably east of us will see. 
 

it’s a good thing I considered anything from this event a bonus. 

 

13 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

The triangle has done quite well if you count back the last five years or so. 

Yep, been stuck in that hole for a while here in south Durham. I noticed it on the HRRR but hoped it was a fluke. Overall, had a brief rain/snow/sleet mix early this morning 5-6 am, leaving a trace on elevated surfaces. Then a rain/snow mix since 7:30. I didn't have my hopes too high overall though. And you're right about the Triangle being really lucky the past several years. Can't complain much at all given that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

32.5 and still have some very light snow coming down.  Ended up with right under 2”.  It was almost all snow from start to finish save a couple of brief sleet and mixing moments.  There was a lot of melting early on that hurt totals.  I have no right to complain given how this storm played out overall.

You did better than me congrats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NCBlizzard said:

 

Yep, been stuck in that hole for a while here in south Durham. I noticed it on the HRRR but hoped it was a fluke. Overall, had a brief rain/snow/sleet mix early this morning 5-6 am, leaving a trace on elevated surfaces. Then a rain/snow mix since 7:30. I didn't have my hopes too high overall though. And you're right about the Triangle being really lucky the past several years. Can't complain much at all given that.

Yeah, it is what it is. Can’t win them all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fat blobs of snow have been mixing with the rain since I first looked about 15 minutes ago here around Swift Creek. Temp is dropping, but slowly. 35.8 here, by my thermometer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

The triangle has done quite well if you count back the last five years or so. 

Northern triangle has, us Southern triangle peeps have gotten shafted with the Wake gradient a couple times lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a mix but mainly rain with the deform precip. Still a T on the season here.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.