Total Members
    Most Online
    DirectSEO
    Newest Member
    DirectSEO
WxUSAF

December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

Just now, PhineasC said:

Roads are hellacious. It appears nothing was done here prior to the storm.

Here it’s just the opposite. Brining may make roads easier to plow but it makes them a disaster for motorists. It melts that first bit of snow and the roads get slushy. Slushy is a helluva lot worse than dry snow

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Roads are hellacious. It appears nothing was done here prior to the storm.

And they puked out a healthy dose of brine on the primary roads over  here, for rain lol. At least most of it will be washed away by morning.

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

CC showing sleet down near Towson, down through Ellicott City, Damascus. So probably a little bit longer one would think for us?

It just switched to 50/50 snow sleet here in Pikesville. Hopefully you hang on.

• Like 1

7” now in Perry WV. About 15 Miles west of 81 and Woodstock, Va, at 2200 feet. Was dumping snow and has now slowed to moderate. 

temp/DP 23/21

I have very limited internet and can’t see if anything’s else is heading my way or the storm evolution. Should I still be expecting more later on out this way? 

Thanks for any input. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

Yeah, I was on the other side of Route 1 though.

I knew that. It’s probably pouring down rain on that side of Rt1 as I type. And past ghosts of osfan24 are now a yelling at the snow gods. Lol

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, umdterps29 said:

Where are you around Deep Creek? I just measured 4.5" on a table outside my house at the top of Wisp. Definitely feels like we haven't had any of the fatties some other places are reporting but it's piling up as quickly as it can

I’d go with your measurement, I’m in McHenry about 5-10 minutes from Wisp.  I forgot to set up a snowboard this morning so I was using the hood of my SUV, which isn’t the best since I drove up this morning.  Even though we miss out on the big bands, we’ll make up for some of that with better ratios, orographic enhancement, and the upslope as the coastal pulls away.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Freezing rain now.  

It’ll flip back to sleet once Columbia is out of that precip hole. Best lift is to the north, drying out areas underneath it. 

13 minutes ago, mappy said:

CC showing sleet down near Towson, down through Ellicott City, Damascus. So probably a little bit longer one would think for us?

Can confirm. Sleeting now in Towson. Wonder if we'll switch back..,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1