Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

17 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I don’t think the duration of the potential torch is enough to melt the current pack.   There’s enough water so that post frontal it should be intact.   And keep in mind I’m not a snowpack guy so no positive bias here.

I’m a big snowpack guy and I rarely saw extended snow cover where I grew up, so I’m very interested to see how long this pack lasts. It’s a spectacular scene right now, almost straight out of a Christmas movie, and I don’t want it to end.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I don’t think the duration of the potential torch is enough to melt the current pack.   There’s enough water so that post frontal it should be intact.   And keep in mind I’m not a snowpack guy so no positive bias here.

I hope so but man , 2 days of 50+ is gonna be brutal if it happens like he’s got .We’d be looking green grass and a couple driveway snowbanks.  I still think this gets shunted to a degree . Many times they do. 

7 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

John, I know you mentioned that there is a propensity for interior NE MA and SE NH to get into screw zones in the big KU events, and I agree. I have always said that. I think its two things:

1) Low level fronto often focuses near the coast, which increases the chance for subsidence in that area.

2) That phenomenon that you were mentioning with regard to the barrier jet advecting drier air in from Maine on a NNE flow.

I know someone like Will will tell me that everywhere gets screwed at one time or another, and that is true....but I do think that there are certain regional meso phenomena that make certain areas more prone than others.

Good insights/points -

If I may add another ? 

3)  yesterday featured vortex splitting - the dome of cold air was too deep and cold/viscus, and as the deep layer trough approached it, the mid level support severed glided over top and created the mega CSI/ 'quasi' CSI band up N. Meanwhile the vestigial 700 mb wind max and associated vortex broke away ...moving along SE of ISP... You could see two distinct inflow rad reflectivity zones, with typical arced banded features... one moving from the Berks into the Monad's and White's ..a second one W of the Island and S of New Bedford ... both these features coalesced into solid shields - the total of which abandoned lift in that axis between.  

I'm actually wondering how much dry air really was culpable in that barrier jet ... as it was snowing very high and hard and the jet was coming from that saturated vicinity ...that muddies the picture a bit.

The dry undercut is a real phenomenon though - I've seen.  I think it was Feb 1997 ... there was a "Miller D" .. .the old 'hook and latter' play where a low bombs and moves NW from SE of CC... There had been a bit of talk about a deep low in the days preceding, but as it was coming into short range, the 48 and 60 hour window ..most models had it too far gone to be an impact... But, that morning it comes "storming" back.  I recall the then ETA ( which would later become the NAM/WARF ...not sure what happened to that warf idea ) anyway.. spits out 1.8" of liquid equiv at Logan out of nowhere, "whaaaa"    NWS is scrambling to get blizzard warnings up for SE zones, with WSW for Middlesex/Essex/Suffolk/ and SE NH zones...   What happens?   6-10" over SE zone and nice low snow content, but high wind very cold nasty blizzard criteria is met, but we got .5" in SE NH and the Merrimack Valley and nothing west of there...  I remember, while the late afternoon blizzard raged in Brockton Mass, the sky lit up in this orange fire sunset blaze and these undulatory bulbs of cloud and snow plumes were illuminated in a spectacular visage I haven't really seen the likes of which since...

The DP was 9 while that was happening... Despite the upside ocean of virga waves of snow in the sideways lit sunset sky raging above, it could not saturate that lower column enough and that warning busted around the N-NW edges of the warning package.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Looks nice around here , my daughter picked me up from the hospital. Pack definitely has some meat here. Irony would be Brian vaporizers 3 feet while us 1 footers stay solid snow.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I hope so but man , 2 days of 50+ is gonna be brutal if it happens like he’s got .We’d be looking green grass and a couple driveway snowbanks.  I still think this gets shunted to a degree . Many times they do. 

Just dug into it a bit. Obviously this will change but today’s trends are for a 12-18 hour torch.  Latest GFS is about 1pm Christmas Eve to 4am Christmas Day with temps above 50. Maxing out at 63 on Christmas at midnight.  So not as bad as it seems duration wise, but it does seem pretty warm for a bit. 

Cold night coming up?

-9F this morning and currently 4F at 8:30pm.

Fresh snow cover always gets the bottom to drop out.  Haven't seen much chatter about these clear/calm nights though.

New England villages should be crisp in these conditions. Despite the lack of snow here, it’s still got that holiday vibe (photo from this evening but not mine).

1638AB67-1279-4F6B-A97D-86EE8D5C0EE7.thumb.jpeg.375673eade2683a43ac66b7cbb2be61c.jpeg

• Like 12

Down to 15 here.  Should be a chilly one. This neighborhood tends to radiate well, rather flat and somewhat open. Temps on PWS range rom 14-20 across town.  Sugarloaf's neighborhood a few miles south down by the Scantic river actually radiates even slightly better.  I hope he's ok.  Nothing but silence on his account for quite some time.  

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

Down to 15 here.  Should be a chilly one. This neighborhood tends to radiate well, rather flat and somewhat open. Temps on PWS range rom 14-20 across town.  Sugarloaf's neighborhood a few miles south down by the Scantic river actually radiates even slightly better.  I hope he's ok.  Nothing but silence on his account for quite some time.  

He vanished the same time MetHerb did in the spring. Herb left because he got upset in the Covid thread. I traced it back. Loaf vanished 

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Cold night coming up?

-9F this morning and currently 4F at 8:30pm.

Fresh snow cover always gets the bottom to drop out.  Haven't seen much chatter about these clear/calm nights though.

I find it amazing how much my location radiates. I figured we were going to get cold, but not this cold, this quickly...couldn't imagine these conditions in January.

Screenshot_20201218-210036_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1