Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Our tradition is to open up presents Christmas eve, before midnight mass. 

But my wife likes Christmas morning, but super early...so whenever the kids wake up. Could be 5 or 9am, depends.

We had family presents opening for all Christmas Eve and then the Santa gifts when the kids got up. Usually 5 am ish

• Like 1

Just now, Lava Rock said:

so no chance this swings east and we at least get IP/ZR?

Never say never, but I'm not sure how this will change much over the next 6 days. Seems pretty locked on guidance. Trough starts digging in Rockies with no blocking. Maybe this looks more progressive and we can get a wave developing along it? 

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

so no chance this swings east and we at least get IP/ZR?

There's always a chance some sort of sfc CAD sets up, but we'll need some sort of confluence to develop for that...even if kind of weak. Right now, there is nothing...it literally wants to rip the low into Hudson Bay....that's about the worst possible setup. :

But we'll see if things change on guidance over the next 36 hours....I think the 3 best ways to avoid a disaster cutter are

1. Make the system more progressive and whiff on a phase which turns it into kind of a quick dryish FROPA on Xmas eve...still mild but not 12 hours of tropical dewpoitns and heavy rains. It would be through quite quickly.

2. Have the 12/21-22 system deepen and phase more with the arctic jet/PV lobe and that would create more of a pseudo block and probably promote more confluence in Quebec....which in turn, would produce CAD even if the system tried to cut west....you'd drastically reduce the warmth.

3. Bury the energy coming onshore in the southwest so that the whole thing turns completely flat....you'd end up with an overrunning situation or nothing at all

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I vividly remember you posting years ago a map showing cutter possibilities with arrows over chicago, detroit, buffalo, etc...and like one arrow going underneath NewEng. 

Yeah I remember now, I thought you meant a model prog... but yeah when the track for rain can be 2000 miles wide and the track for siggy snow is like a 200 miles wide, it’s definitely easier to get the former over the latter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah..it's been doing that with the last several cycles, that handling downstream/ N Atlantic ... I mentioned it to Will earlier - .

You know, there is a climatology on Lakes cutters preceding transient NAO blocks over the D. Straight ..which makes sense as any vertically stacked bomb heading toward James Bay will tend to wrap a planetary wave decay into those higher latitudes up there... viola!  Heights blossom for at least a while until it all disperses. But in this case, the GFS is trying to establish an actual R-wave redistribution out of it.  Not sure -  ... could be that it's just magnifying that - it's like the physics are the edge of the visible plain makes the moon look scary huge coming over the horizon - somethin' like that...we'll see.

The GEFs do not represent that NAO handling in their mean/tele's last night or the previous night.  Now, ...doesn't mean this isn't going to happen.  Sometimes the higher res/normalized versions will precede the ensemble mean ... and then the latter catches on. It's a phenomenon more likely witnessed when there is cross-guidance, operational agreement.  The ensemble means et al then gather around the operational consensus ...sort of in reverse order.    I don't have any idea what the Euro and GGEM and UKMET are doing with the NAO domain, tho...

Please someone parse this 

• Weenie 1