Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I’m just gonna assume it couldn’t possibly be rain and 50s all the way up here on freakin’ Christmas. No way. :(  

And like that, Phineas is introduced to the annual New England tradition known as the Grinch storm.  My introduction was around Dec 23 of 2007 in Bethlehem NH, no too far from Phinland, when our 22" pack was taken to nothing in a single day.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, klw said:

And like that, Phineas is introduced to the annual New England tradition known as the Grinch storm.  My introduction was around Dec 23 of 2007 in Bethlehem NH, no too far from Phinland, when our 22" pack was taken to nothing in a single day.

:( 

These cutters definitely hurt more up here. In MD, you don't even notice the 50 degree rain because that's the typical weather we get in the winter. But up north, you go from 20 and snow to 50 and rain and then back to 20 and snow. You can more easily hear the record skip. LOL

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

:( 

These cutters definitely hurt more up here. In MD, you don't even notice the 50 degree rain because that's the typical weather we get in the winter. But up north, you go from 20 and snow to 50 and rain and then back to 20 and snow. You can more easily hear the record skip. LOL

That happens right before the stylus zips across your 33 vinyl record.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bit of preoccupation for XMas when there's other things in the foreground to consider -

I don't think it's even snow on the ground for those grousing - it's really about 'feeling' sad about anything that doesn't resemble a Curry&Ives setting out of window for Wassailers on Xmas eve, 'nogs and hot totties and cinnabuns on Xmas morning ... just has to have snow globe aggregates and icicles.  Like those scenes in "Funny Farm", with Chevy Chase and Madolyn Smith ...

Firstly, that's about 5% yearly return rate on that when considering the 30-yr climate aggregate... Out of the last 20 years, 1 Xmas timed that... 2017.. when we registered 6"10" and not even ubiquitously - I think it was too warm for that in Boston and SE zones... Maybe 2002 - I dunno

I wonder why/how folks became so conditioned to where they feel sort of 'cheated' or 'violated' if/when the Rockwell setting fails to set in due timing... 2/3rds of all Xmas' I've lived through in my tenure on the planet at this latitude, between the Great Lakes and New England ...failed to put snow in the air, and on the ground with 27 F rosy cheeked Wassail weather.   Interesting... In fact, it's actually cheating the Dr. Dew types to go the other way -

NAM's pretty bad as a guidance - to put it droll - beyond 36 hours ... we all know that - but, it's ending frames did tend the mid levels toward a steeper correction for the 22nd.  Again... cannot stress enough, ..these flat fast flows off the Pacific ...when the underlying PNA is +.25 and trying to rise... tends to later corrections, and we're seeing this in the Euro through 18z yesterday/overnight ...I think these next 24 hours in particular are an interval to watch as we are nosing these waves off the Pac and into the denser physically realized sondes

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

A bit of preoccupation for XMas when there's other things in the foreground to consider -

I don't think it's even snow on the ground for those grousing - it's really about 'feeling' sad about anything that doesn't resemble a Curry&Ives setting out of window for Wassilers on XMas eve, Nogs and hot totties and cinnabuns on Xmas morning ... Like those scenes in "Funny Farm", with Chevy Chase and Madolyn Smith ...

Firstly, that's about 5% yearly return rate on that when considering he local climate aggregate... Out of the last 20 years, 1 Xmas timed that... 2017.. when we registered 6"10" and not even ubiquitously - I think it was too warm for that in Boston and SE zones... I wonder why/how folks became so conditioned to where they feel sort of 'cheated' or 'violated' if/when the Rockwell setting fails to set in due timing... 2/3rds of all Xmas' I've lived through in my tenure on the planet at this latitude, between the Great Lakes and New England ...failed to put snow in the air, and on the ground with 27 F rosy cheeked Wassil weather.   Interesting...

NAM's pretty bad as a guidance - to put it droll - beyond 36 hours ... we all know that - but, it's ending frames did tend the mid levels toward a steeper correction for the 22nd.  Again... cannot stress enough, ..these flat fast flows off the Pacific ...when the underlying PNA is +.25 and trying to rise... tends to later corrections, and we're seeing this in the Euro through 18z yesterday/overnight ...I think these next 24 hours in particular are an interval to watch as we are nosing these waves off the Pac and into the denser physically realized sondes

You forgot 2002. But yeah, snow on actual Xmas is pretty rare. Though 2012 technically pulled it off too but it wasn't a "storm". We had about an inch Xmas morning....it was actually a very pretty currier and ives type snow too.

For me personally, I can handle a cutter if there is still cover on Xmas morning....but I really don't want the cutter to be happening on Xmas day itself...that is just....gross.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

You forgot 2002. But yeah, snow on actual Xmas is pretty rare. Though 2012 technically pulled it off too but it wasn't a "storm". We had about an inch Xmas morning....it was actually a very pretty currier and ives type snow too.

For me personally, I can handle a cutter if there is still cover on Xmas morning....but I really don't want the cutter to be happening on Xmas day itself...that is just....gross.

Yeah, I added that right after/edited - had forgotten 2002 .. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is pretty much my mindset, though for me Christmas Eve is maybe even more important in terms of "mood." Seems like we've had some really disgusting Eves over the past few years, with super high dews, roaring SE winds and aggressive downpours. I'd be fine with some warmth and maybe even a bit of fog or mist, but it's hard to ignore a warm firehose that pounds the windows and washes away a beautiful pack.