Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

HIE 31. RIP Alex’s growing season. Looks like he’s down to 30.2°.

Yep, that's the official low! Very frosty this morning but warming up quickly and already up to 33.5 and the frost in the sun is melting quickly. My tomatoes are under an awning on the south side of my house, I wonder if they will make it! 

2 minutes ago, alex said:

Yep, that's the official low! Very frosty this morning but warming up quickly and already up to 33.5 and the frost in the sun is melting quickly. My tomatoes are under an awning on the south side of my house, I wonder if they will make it! 

Do you have your cam down or is there a new link?

You’ll probably be like me...a quick drop in the evening and then it sorta levels off as the cold drains into the valleys. I’m at 43° on the hill, but the lower els around me are about 3-5° cooler. You’ll have cooler daytime maxes as a trade off. It’ll be even more extreme in winter. If BML hits -30° you could even be around -20° with a bit of a breeze. The old Randolph COOP from the 1940s hit -30° on one of the state’s coldest days on record in Feb 1943. CON and PWM  had their all-time records of -37° and -39° respectively with that.

That’s what I have noticed. I am frequently a couple degrees cooler for a high than the usual rad pits each day. 

Got down to 35 last night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

That’s what I have noticed. I am frequently a couple degrees cooler for a high than the usual rad pits each day. 

Got down to 35 last night. 

If you perform like I did in Peacham with a similar mid-hill location, you may find you are cooler than the radiators right after a frontal passage if the wind stays up enough to prevent settling.  And yesterday when I said not to be surprised if it snows in September, I mean don't be shocked to see flakes and snow up on the mtns but don't go expecting accumulations at your spot.  That would be the surprise.

• Like 2

Which model did you go with? You’ll have fun with it.

I ended up with the 6153, no FARS, but I'll upgrade eventually. I had a LaCrosse WS2300 that had some good moments back when we lived in Nottingham but the rain gauge was junk and things started to eventually break. This is the first Davis I've owned...looking forward to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Lol, so foggy the ASOS is spitting out snow obs at MPV?

METAR KMPV 121100Z AUTO 10003KT M1/4SM -SN FG VV001 03/03 A3042

Ha! I was just coming here to post that set of obs. Wish I could have been up to see the flakes fly :lol:   We touched 38°. Chilly but kept my bedroom window open.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

An age-old debate. Get the precipitation locked in first, because eventually the cold will arrive, or vice versa.

I can say down in the tropics of the MA we always root for lasting cold first.

Cold is important in SNE (less so up there) but precip is more important...unless you are on the south coast or cape or something like that. 

Most of our awful winters have low QPF (see last year after December)...there’s exceptions for sure but I’ll roll the dice with the active pattern any day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alex said:

That cam is down; after a while the cord got very brittle and it essentially disintegrated. I have a Nest at my house facing the opposite direction, I will add that while I get a new cord for that camera 

Alex,  hope you and the family are doing well.  Yes, it will soon be the season I'll be nagging you to get the camera fixed.  Loved the old one that showed the top of Mt Washington.

• Like 1