Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

6 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Really hoping to see some snow in October, even if light and it melts fast. That's very rare where I'm from. It would be pretty neat.

In my Vermont years, I have had snow in every month but July and August.   (not each year mind you) 

In our 4 years in this house we have had accumulating snow in October in 2 of the 4 years and seasonal pack started as early as Nov 13.  You should not be surprised to occasionally see snow in late Sept at your location.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not yet, bout to crack open a Sip of Sunshine.  It’s not the favorite by any means but a buddy left me a couple from last weekend’s festivities...and we don’t discriminate if there are soldiers in the fridge.

I mean I suppose. But those are tough to get thru more than one. Just a shade better than a Heady. Heady went so downhill once they started distributing 

Just now, klw said:

In my Vermont years, I have had snow in every month but July and August.   (not each year mind you)  In or 4 years in this house we have had accumulating snow in October in 2 of the 4 years and seasonal pack started as early as Nov 11.  You should not be surprised to occasionally see snow in late Sept at your location.

That may be pushing it... but if it can snow on Memorial Day weekend for Dendrite then I'm sure it's possible.

In my 15 years spending a lot of time on Mansfield I can only remember one time where it snowed way up high on the last day of September (the year is escaping me right now, but maybe 2011?) but in reality the "snowy" day of that was the morning of October 1st.

I have seen freezing rain in September though at the top of the Gondola.  Oddly enough it seems freezing rain/mist/drizzle and icing is easier to achieve in late September up high... mainly because those happen with marginal cold and the moist NW flow triggers orographic lift that resides well below the dendrite snow growth zone.  I've seen a decent amount of supercooled water droplets in September because the orographic lift doesn't punch high enough in the atmosphere to form ice crystals.  Then in October the slightly deeper cold seems to introduce ice crystals into that orographic lift zone.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I mean I suppose. But those are tough to get thru more than one. Just a shade better than a Heady. Heady went so downhill once they started distributing 

We'll see... I got two of them for this Friday night.  Usually once the buzz of the first one hits, the second one sounds like a pretty good idea regardless of taste, ha.  Then its usually a good idea that there isn't a third.

Anyway, its cold!

I've got 47F at home at 8:10pm.

cold.jpg.168fffdd6e4ca20ea2587244a40181ab.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That may be pushing it... but if it can snow on Memorial Day weekend for Dendrite then I'm sure it's possible.

In my 15 years spending a lot of time on Mansfield I can only remember one time where it snowed way up high on the last day of September (the year is escaping me right now, but maybe 2011?) but in reality the "snowy" day of that was the morning of October 1st.

I have seen freezing rain in September though at the top of the Gondola.  Oddly enough it seems freezing rain/mist/drizzle and icing is easier to achieve in late September up high... mainly because those happen with marginal cold and the moist NW flow triggers orographic lift that resides well below the dendrite snow growth zone.  I've seen a decent amount of supercooled water droplets in September because the orographic lift doesn't punch high enough in the atmosphere to form ice crystals.  Then in October the slightly deeper cold seems to introduce ice crystals into that orographic lift zone.

CON and ORH had snow in the last few hours of September in 1992.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like Randolph received a trace on 9/17/2011. In the 10 years of records, that's it in terms of recorded snow for September. I assume there has been some mixed garbage that melts before contact for brief periods in the past. If it's getting into the 30s already it seems possible at least for some junk to mix in briefly under the right conditions.

But I am still usually sitting on the beach late September so to even be discussing snow possibilities in this month is fine by me.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Holy crap.  Really strong mid-level band or deep ULL overhead?

Deep trough, CAA, and a little PVA.

image.gif

ORH had -SNRA in the early evening around 40°, but CON did it just before midnight with 29°.

CON,1992-10-01 05:00,KCON 010500Z 00000KT 7SM -SHSN OVC040 M02/M03 A3006 RMK SB39 VLGT SLP181 T10171028
CON,1992-10-01 06:00,KCON 010600Z 19004KT 7SM SCT040 SCT070 M02/M03 A3005 RMK SE12/ SLP179 60000 8/570 T10221033 57005
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not yet, bout to crack open a Sip of Sunshine.  It’s not the favorite by any means but a buddy left me a couple from last weekend’s festivities...and we don’t discriminate if there are soldiers in the fridge.

Just grabbed a four pack of Lawson’s Hopzilla at my local store.  Yummy.  Better than Sip imho. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Holy crap.  Really strong mid-level band or deep ULL overhead?

ULL (but not quite closed off...very deep cold trough likely with windex type graupel/snow).

I was outside in it. Late afternoon/early evening on 9/30/92. It was still light out. It started as just a few drops of rain and then quickly we were like “is that hail?”....and it went nuts and all of the sudden flakes mixed in and it went nearly to all flakes for a good 10 min or so. Never got below mid/upper 30s I don’t think but man, that was crazy. Little did I know what would happen a few months later in Dec ‘92.

I guess “snow in September” doesn’t cancel winter....

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Looks like Randolph received a trace on 9/17/2011. In the 10 years of records, that's it in terms of recorded snow for September. I assume there has been some mixed garbage that melts before contact for brief periods in the past. If it's getting into the 30s already it seems possible at least for some junk to mix in briefly under the right conditions.

But I am still usually sitting on the beach late September so to even be discussing snow possibilities in this month is fine by me.

I posted this awhile back, but First Lake pulled off snow in August before...maybe even flakes where you are? CON had a low of 29° with that...an August record.

image.png

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

Early season traces like that to me are usually graupel, but who knows.  It's usually a non-accumulating trace of graupel or mangled stuff... as I think just the presence of frozen falling triggers a trace.  We've had convective graupel but legit snow is hard to come by.  I know Mansfield has snowed in late August though in the historical annals, but that's just hard to comprehend.  Then again, I have a video of it snowing in mid-June up there (non-accumulating) like a week before the solstice.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We'll see... I got two of them for this Friday night.  Usually once the buzz of the first one hits, the second one sounds like a pretty good idea regardless of taste, ha.  Then its usually a good idea that there isn't a third.

Anyway, its cold!

I've got 47F at home at 8:10pm.

cold.jpg.168fffdd6e4ca20ea2587244a40181ab.jpg

And free. Don’t forget the that. 

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Early season traces like that to me are usually graupel, but who knows.  It's usually a non-accumulating trace of graupel or mangled stuff... as I think just the presence of frozen falling triggers a trace.  We've had convective graupel but legit snow is hard to come by.  I know Mansfield has snowed in late August though in the historical annals, but that's just hard to comprehend.  Then again, I have a video of it snowing in mid-June up there (non-accumulating) like a week before the solstice.

OK, I thought it had to hit the ground and be observable as snow to be a trace of the stuff.

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ULL (but not quite closed off...very deep cold trough likely with windex type graupel/snow).

I was outside in it. Late afternoon/early evening on 9/30/92. It was still light out. It started as just a few drops of rain and then quickly we were like “is that hail?”....and it went nuts and all of the sudden flakes mixed in and it went nearly to all flakes for a good 10 min or so. Never got below mid/upper 30s I don’t think but man, that was crazy. Little did I know what would happen a few months later in Dec ‘92.

I guess “snow in September” doesn’t cancel winter....

Now that I'm looking at those records, that is an impressive cold shot.  Must've been a fun day with WINDEX stuff flying down there.

Looks like Mansfield COOP for that cold shot had back-to-back ridiculous cold days for that time of year.  The precip records look about the same amounts as down south, so definitely a scattered squally pattern up here too.  Would’ve been crazy to combine those temps with more sustained lift and stratiform precip.

September 30...29/21

October 1... 25/21  Snow Depth 1"

Those average out to -20.4 departure from normal, solid 48 hour run.

49 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

OK, I thought it had to hit the ground and be observable as snow to be a trace of the stuff.

I think technically hail is a trace of frozen but I generally look at early season traces as a heavy graupel/mixed shower that can pool or be visible briefly on a car windshield or a mulch bed, dirt type of thing.  You'll see this fall, that stuff can fall fast and furious as these little dippin' dots that add up very briefly and then melt away, sometimes before the squall is over, ha.  It'll get windy and start dumping something frozen and white.

36 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

For “snow depth” to equal a trace (or more), it needs to be observed on the ground at observation time....but to record “daily snowfall” as a trace, all you need is literally a flake of snow (or sleet/graupel) to fall out of the sky and it technically gets recorded as a trace. 

• Thanks 1