Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I lit up an underground yellow jacket nest and just like last year, something came along and dug up the comb. Maybe a skunk?

Many years ago my dad did the evening gas-and-match to maybe the most populous yellowjacket nest I've seen, judging by the width of the swarm earlier in the day.  (How we mower pushers avoided getting stung I'll never know.)  Next morning there was a hole bigger than a bushel basket, caused by the burnout of all the underground nest structure.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Many years ago my dad did the evening gas-and-match to maybe the most populous yellowjacket nest I've seen, judging by the width of the swarm earlier in the day.  (How we mower pushers avoided getting stung I'll never know.)  Next morning there was a hole bigger than a bushel basket, caused by the burnout of all the underground nest structure.

Oh by lit, I meant sprayed lol. I didn’t light it on fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Going through some Derecho videos.  Now this is a severe thunderstorm.  I found the video unusual.  Unlike one super gust front it keeps going and getting worse.  Looks like Cat 3-4 hurricane damage

Man, I thought that pine was gonna be like the blue shed from Harvey...and then 14:00 came along. What an incredible storm.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Wonder how big it was...was it during your days in NJ? They can get pretty big the further south you go (longer season). Though even up here they’ll grow large if it’s a mild spring. 

This year they seemed to get a late start. Probably the first half of May didn’t help with those snow threats and sub-freezing lows a couple mornings. I was still seeing queens emerge inside the house in June which is usually on the late side for that to happen. During warmer springs like 2010 and 2012 I’ll see them in early/mid April. 

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Going through some Derecho videos.  Now this is a severe thunderstorm.  I found the video unusual.  Unlike one super gust front it keeps going and getting worse.  Looks like Cat 3-4 hurricane damage

The severe criteria winds did last unusually long.  Normally you get the burst at the beginning and then it diminishes.  There were people in our subforum who said they had 30-45+ minutes of severe criteria gusts.   This derecho was accompanied by a tremendous RIJ which was mixing down the winds rather efficiently even in the lighter trailing rainfall region.  It started to weaken into a more normal/lower end severe thunderstorm by the time it reached me, but still had a burst of about 60 mph on the leading edge, then a brief lull before winds picked back up with some 45-55 mph gusts or so. 

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

I tried the shop vac trick today on a ground wasp nest (yellow jacket) and it seemed to work! Long hose on the vacuum and I duct taped it to my fully extended snow rake handle. 
I slid the end of the nozzle in front of the hole from 15’ away, ran to the garage and plugged it in.  
After running it for about 30 minutes there was no more flight activity around the hole.  Kept it running while I dragged it back to safety and taped the opening shut.  Now I need to let it sit for a few days in the sun.  
i’ll investigate again in the morning.  The neighbors probably thought I was crazy out there in a hooded ski jacket, mask and goggles. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Go buy tempo dust if your dealing with wasp, bees, yellow jackets, etc.  You can get it on Amazon. Its what the pros use. You dust the nest entrance and they bring it into the nest and it's done in a day or two. Those sprays only kill on contact and don't penetrate into the nest. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Go buy tempo dust if your dealing with wasp, bees, yellow jackets, etc.  You can get it on Amazon. Its what the pros use. You dust the nest entrance and they bring it into the nest and it's done in a day or two. Those sprays only kill on contact and don't penetrate into the nest. 

Thanks, just read up on it. I’ll get a bag. 
 Not sure I would do the vacuum trick again but it was kind of fun and it certainly seemed to work.  It was an area of yard I didn’t really want to use a lot of pesticides on so it was a worthy experiment. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Is it a problem for humans? It would be going right into a vent for the stove. Wouldn’t want it to be harmful if it somehow found its way into the stove or something