Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Because they hit 58° in July and that would’ve ruined the fun.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Those fresh-picked cherries are tasty.

LOL, indeed, when you see such an arbitrary number chosen it also creates a bit of a “who cares” feeling.  Now if they’d chosen >= 60 F, that would be different.  Everybody knows that when nights only drop to 60 F you’re talking just marginally comfortable sleeping, but once the temperature drops to 59 F… pure bliss.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

LOL, indeed, when you see such an arbitrary number chosen it also creates a bit of a “who cares” feeling.  Now if they’d chosen >= 60 F, that would be different.  Everybody knows that when nights only drop to 60 F you’re talking just marginally comfortable sleeping, but once the temperature drops to 59 F… pure bliss.

Pretty impressive i think seeing there in the Atlantic's back pocket up here.

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone here ever used or currently use a home meal delivery service like hello fresh etc etc?

We are looking to reduce waste and maybe even cut costs.... and were wondering if this might be worthwhile?

Have done in the past but wife and daughter don’t like the recipes (picky eaters), so I discontinued.  I did find Hello Fresh with better product then Blue Apron.

Some good news on antibodies.

Research on a coronavirus outbreak that occurred on a Seattle-based fishing vessel earlier this year may be the first direct evidence that antibodies to the coronavirus could prevent people from reinfection.

The findings were shared in a report Tuesday by the University of Washington’s School of Medicine and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

The report looks at an outbreak on a fishing vessel that sailed from Seattle in May. It found that three crew members who had neutralizing coronavirus antibodies prior to departure were spared from an outbreak that infected more than 85 percent of the boat’s crew members.

Before departing, the ship’s 122 crew members were all tested for coronavirus. This included having their blood drawn to see if they had coronavirus antibodies from a previous infection.

None of the crew members tested positive for coronavirus, however three had antibodies for coronavirus, indicating they had previously been infected.

https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...n-fishing-crew

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Some good news on antibodies.

Research on a coronavirus outbreak that occurred on a Seattle-based fishing vessel earlier this year may be the first direct evidence that antibodies to the coronavirus could prevent people from reinfection.

The findings were shared in a report Tuesday by the University of Washington’s School of Medicine and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

The report looks at an outbreak on a fishing vessel that sailed from Seattle in May. It found that three crew members who had neutralizing coronavirus antibodies prior to departure were spared from an outbreak that infected more than 85 percent of the boat’s crew members.

Before departing, the ship’s 122 crew members were all tested for coronavirus. This included having their blood drawn to see if they had coronavirus antibodies from a previous infection.

None of the crew members tested positive for coronavirus, however three had antibodies for coronavirus, indicating they had previously been infected.

https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...n-fishing-crew

Small sample but a glimmer

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

1.34% MA positive today.  Looks like that little spike a couple of weeks ago was squashed. 
Let’s see what happens with the colleges bringing kids back.  

I was talking to a nurse practitioner from Baystate medical last night and she said Franklin Co has had 4 positives in the past month.
A few more than that at Baystate Springfield but she said they only had two people hospitalized for it right now.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I was talking to a nurse practitioner from Baystate medical last night and she said Franklin Co has had 4 positives in the past month.
A few more than that at Baystate Springfield but she said they only had two people hospitalized for it right now.

My wife's district had 4 employees test positive in the last week (3 cafeteria workers, plus 1 teacher, all working in the same building).  Then the high school's ventilation system showed 0% airflow (1957 building, tons of issues).  They might be flipping from going all in person to starting remote... gah!  This is very frustrating.  My school has lost a bunch of teachers due to layoffs, only a few were hired back.  So our workload is increasing.   My brother in law just got permenantly laid off from an HR position.

I need this to be done...  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My wife's district had 4 employees test positive in the last week (3 cafeteria workers, plus 1 teacher, all working in the same building).  Then the high school's ventilation system showed 0% airflow (1957 building, tons of issues).  They might be flipping from going all in person to starting remote... gah!  This is very frustrating.  My school has lost a bunch of teachers due to layoffs, only a few were hired back.  So our workload is increasing.   My brother in law just got permenantly laid off from an HR position.

Just gotta improve circulation.

https://theconversation.com/how-to-use-ventilation-and-air-filtration-to-prevent-the-spread-of-coronavirus-indoors-143732

We may get a better sense of how long any protection from covid reinfection lasts when the New York City schools reopen.  So many people in that city had it, and now we are talking 5-6 months ago in many cases.  If reinfection within several months is a real thing, we should start hearing some stories.   

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well, that’s the problem. There is zero air exchange    All of the vents in the building are clogged with insulation I guess.  Many rooms have no windows. 

Maximum derecho wind estimate now at 140 mph, Atkins measures 126 mph

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - New data collected by the National Weather Service shows even stronger winds than initially surveyed, according to meteorologists.

The Quad Cities office of the agency released new storm reports on Wednesday morning, following further storm surveys and new information relayed by emergency managers.

Based on the damage to the Westdale Court apartments on the southwest side of Cedar Rapids, which removed the roof, outside walls, and some inside walls from the top floor, National Weather Service damage surveyors estimate that 140 mph winds took place in that location.

https://www.kcrg.com/2020/08/19/maximum-derecho-wind-estimate-now-at-140-mph-atkins-measures-126-mph/

• Like 1

Been looking at getting a prefab garage (1st/2nd pic) and saw one well priced at $8,000 for a 14'x24'. These are 2x4' construction with garage and side door, wood floor. I wanted a little more width at 16', but they don't make them, so I asked a friend who does construction to quote me for a 16x24', which I term an oversized shed, rather than a garage. There's no slab/foundation, just wooden floor/skid setup. He sent me the quote and I just about fell over. $24,100. WTF! This is an unfinished shed with 5/12 roof, no 2nd story. $62/sqft. That's ridiculous. Here's a pic of what we want (3rd pic). Some how he got $16K in materials, yet when I priced it out at HD I was ~$6500. Labor is $8,000. This just seems outrageous. I know building is hot lately, but I think we just get the prefab and deal with the narrow width.image.thumb.png.9d1a9f728fd9ea50c9e750fb6d7a5d15.pngimage.thumb.png.bee68be45add4868c4091507929920f2.png

image.png.1882d2bc3a7ae0653ae9063af3156dcb.png

13 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Been looking at getting a prefab garage (1st/2nd pic) and saw one well priced at $8,000 for a 14'x24'. These are 2x4' construction with garage and side door, wood floor. I wanted a little more width at 16', but they don't make them, so I asked a friend who does construction to quote me for a 16x24', which I term an oversized shed, rather than a garage. There's no slab/foundation, just wooden floor/skid setup. He sent me the quote and I just about fell over. $24,100. WTF! This is an unfinished shed with 5/12 roof, no 2nd story. $62/sqft. That's ridiculous. Here's a pic of what we want (3rd pic). Some how he got $16K in materials, yet when I priced it out at HD I was ~$6500. Labor is $8,000. This just seems outrageous. I know building is hot lately, but I think we just get the prefab and deal with the narrow width.image.thumb.png.9d1a9f728fd9ea50c9e750fb6d7a5d15.pngimage.thumb.png.bee68be45add4868c4091507929920f2.png

One of my neighbor has one like these.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Been looking at getting a prefab garage (1st/2nd pic) and saw one well priced at $8,000 for a 14'x24'. These are 2x4' construction with garage and side door, wood floor. I wanted a little more width at 16', but they don't make them, so I asked a friend who does construction to quote me for a 16x24', which I term an oversized shed, rather than a garage. There's no slab/foundation, just wooden floor/skid setup. He sent me the quote and I just about fell over. $24,100. WTF! This is an unfinished shed with 5/12 roof, no 2nd story. $62/sqft. That's ridiculous. Here's a pic of what we want (3rd pic). Some how he got $16K in materials, yet when I priced it out at HD I was ~$6500. Labor is $8,000. This just seems outrageous. I know building is hot lately, but I think we just get the prefab and deal with the narrow width.

Cost of lumber has gone up ~80% over the last month or so.  It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We are so far from done.  The mental toll will really ramp up by winter if this continues with no finish line in sight.  Then we get to the fuk it stage where some people start to give up and stop masking and distancing. 

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We are so far from done.  The mental toll will really ramp up by winter if this continues with no finish line in sight.  Then we get to the fuk it stage where some people start to give up and stop masking and distancing. 

my wife was asking when this was going to be over and how long do we have to wear masks. There's no good answer. Even with a decent vaccine and better therapeutic treatments, Covid will likely be around a long time, hopefully mutating into a less damaging virus. It's not like if we get a vaccine, it'll be like an overnight shift to no more masks and social distancing can stop. What bothers me a bit is how long do we have to play by the virus's rules. Another words, at what point will be in the clear? We could be 1-2 yrs down the road and despite a good vaccine, some will still get it and public health might still be pushing the masks and distancing. For some people  unfortunately, they will forever be mask wearers and more anti-social, but I think you're right, eventually a lot of people will grow tired (if not already) of the protective measures and try to go back to normal. This winter is going to be a real test, especially in northern climates where a lot of the outdoor recreation and eating out will largely come to an end. Restaurants will still be heavily restricted on occupancy and life in general will just feel different, especially with the shorter days.  Will certainly be mentally challenging for a lot

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I wanted one of those but ended up getting a 12" X 16" for $4,500, good enough for what I need it for, bought it last year at an end of summer sale, already built and they trucked it to my yard. Just had to get the base ready with some stone. The prices surprised me too.

• Like 1

We moved into this house (new) 18 months ago. Our cable and WiFi has been dog shit since we had it hooked up by x-finity. They’ve been out 5 times in that span and can never figure out the issue. Today... a “senior tech” came out and basically had to re do everything, including replacing wires from the box at the road and all the way into the house. The cable wire wasn’t even grounded!!! I’m beyond frustrated.... I want some sort of refund for the last 18 months.. absolutely crazy that none of this stuff was noticed or fixed right off the bat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We moved into this house (new) 18 months ago. Our cable and WiFi has been dog shit since we had it hooked up by x-finity. They’ve been out 5 times in that span and can never figure out the issue. Today... a “senior tech” came out and basically had to re do everything, including replacing wires from the box at the road and all the way into the house. The cable wire wasn’t even grounded!!! I’m beyond frustrated.... I want some sort of refund for the last 18 months.. absolutely crazy that none of this stuff was noticed or fixed right off the bat.

We had an issue a few years ago where our Internet and TV were getting erratic and they essentially had to replace a 1/2 mi length of cable because so many people on our street were complaining.    The technician I talked to said that back and forth with warm weather and cold weather in the spring caused issues with creating slack in the lines.  Supposedly that compromised the strength of the signal, at the time I called BS on what he was saying but I am not an electrical engineer.   I suppose if the carrying capacity of the wire was somehow compromised it could cause issues.  

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We had an issue a few years ago where our Internet and TV were getting erratic and they essentially had to replace a 1/2 mi length of cable because so many people on our street were complaining.    The technician I talked to said that back and forth with warm weather and cold weather in the spring caused issues with creating slack in the lines.  Supposedly that compromised the strength of the signal, at the time I called BS on what he was saying but I am not an electrical engineer.   I suppose if the carrying capacity of the wire was somehow compromised it could cause issues.  

I suppose anything is possible, but the lines in our neighborhood are all buried. The box is on the edge of my property and the line is buried under the driveway and comes up next to the electric meter on the other side of the driveway.... probably 30-40 feet away. 

The tech today replaced the “filter” In the box, whatever that is. Ran all new line from the box to the house... grounded the cable wire... boxes up all the connections on the outside of the house... and added a “booster” inside the house.

Im a little annoyed that the previous 4 visits didn’t reveal any of these problems, which this tech said were “pretty clear”

I know I’ll probably be out of luck, but I’m going to fight them tooth and nail for some sort of refund. Absolutely crazy.

48 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I suppose anything is possible, but the lines in our neighborhood are all buried. The box is on the edge of my property and the line is buried under the driveway and comes up next to the electric meter on the other side of the driveway.... probably 30-40 feet away. 

The tech today replaced the “filter” In the box, whatever that is. Ran all new line from the box to the house... grounded the cable wire... boxes up all the connections on the outside of the house... and added a “booster” inside the house.

Im a little annoyed that the previous 4 visits didn’t reveal any of these problems, which this tech said were “pretty clear”

I know I’ll probably be out of luck, but I’m going to fight them tooth and nail for some sort of refund. Absolutely crazy.

This is exactly what my next door neighbors had done last week.  I have not yet asked them if it made difference.