Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I need some bee advice.

We have a vent pipe from the hood above the stove that goes outside.

There is very obviously a nest in the pipe because when I open the cabinet where the pipe goes through to the outside, I can hear them buzzing inside.

What the heck can I do about that?

Any idea what kind? Honeybees or wasps/hornets?

Here is the link to the camera I set up facing the Northern Presidentials. This is right off my deck. The fish eye lens effect of the camera makes the mountains seem further away than they actually are. They are much, much closer in person.  
https://video.nest.com/live/cfvTL567uL
Put that link in your sig. Be good to check in during the winter. You getting a wx station?

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
2 hours ago, PhineasC said:
Here is the link to the camera I set up facing the Northern Presidentials. This is right off my deck. The fish eye lens effect of the camera makes the mountains seem further away than they actually are. They are much, much closer in person. emoji4.png 
https://video.nest.com/live/cfvTL567uL

Put that link in your sig. Be good to check in during the winter. You getting a wx station?

I put it my sig, or at least I think I did, I have sigs turned off.

I have a weather station but need to connect it to wunderground. I haven't gotten around to that yet.

43 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I need some bee advice.

We have a vent pipe from the hood above the stove that goes outside.

There is very obviously a nest in the pipe because when I open the cabinet where the pipe goes through to the outside, I can hear them buzzing inside.

What the heck can I do about that?

Can they get inside through the vent cover holes above the stove or is it too small for them?

That is potentially a dangerous situation if they can get in. I’ve heard of stories where get can enter that way but it probably depends on your vent hood cover. 

Otherwise if they can’t, I’d probably wait until winter and then remove the vent pipe cover on the outside and get the nest out when they’re all dead. 

See if you can find where they are flying in from outside. You might be able to kill them too depending on exactly where it is. But if you can hear them buzzing, they might be pretty deep in close to your vent fan. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can they get inside through the vent cover holes above the stove or is it too small for them?

That is potentially a dangerous situation if they can get in. I’ve heard of stories where get can enter that way but it probably depends on your vent hood cover. 

Otherwise if they can’t, I’d probably wait until winter and then remove the vent pipe cover on the outside and get the nest out when they’re all dead. 

See if you can find where they are flying in from outside. You might be able to kill them too depending on exactly where it is. But if you can hear them buzzing, they might be pretty deep in close to your vent fan. 

I don’t believe they can get in... I took the grates off and there was nothing inside... you can see the fan and the pipe.... so I’m guessing they can’t get through the fan? And we haven’t see any inside the house either.

The stove is on the back wall... so the actually pipe is only like 18” from the hood to the outside vent, so there isn’t a lot of space... I can see them flying in from the outside vent. It looks like there is a small gap where the flap is that is allowing them in.

9 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I don’t believe they can get in... I took the grates off and there was nothing inside... you can see the fan and the pipe.... so I’m guessing they can’t get through the fan? And we haven’t see any inside the house either.

The stove is on the back wall... so the actually pipe is only like 18” from the hood to the outside vent, so there isn’t a lot of space... I can see them flying in from the outside vent. It looks like there is a small gap where the flap is that is allowing them in.

Let’s put it this way... I’d hope if they could get in it would have happened already... since it seems like there is probably a decent number of bees 

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you certainly don't want to flush them inside the house if you try something from the outside or sealing off the entrance.

Reminds me of a dumb move at the ski area, there was a large nest inside a wall of a lift shack one summer.  Sprayed the outside entrance and then the next day the entire hive was inside the lift shack and very pissed off, looking for a new way out.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

The nest is probably just behind the outside vent cover, They like to stay close to the outside.

I lifted the flap of the vent earlier and sprayed wasp killer in there..... only a few flew out... but I could still here them buzzing... so I don’t think I hit the best somehow. I don’t want to just unload like 20 cans of raid in there if I’m not hitting it, so I think we’ll end up calling someone.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I lifted the flap of the vent earlier and sprayed wasp killer in there..... only a few flew out... but I could still here them buzzing... so I don’t think I hit the best somehow. I don’t want to just unload like 20 cans of raid in there if I’m not hitting it, so I think we’ll end up calling someone.

I wouldn't spray them from the outside unless you are 100% positive they can't escape inside your house. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

I agree.  They won't go very deep unless they have to.  They like to just be barely hidden from the outside elements.

Yeah, I have always found the to build closer to the outside, They like to stay just out of out of the sun, That's why eaves and dormers are spots they like away from the sun.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Can you take like a broom handle to open it to have a look that way your still a ways away and see if you can see where they built the nest? That way there it would give you the direction of where to spray.

No bee problems but the bear (we named him Blue) keeps coming by daily or twice daily. 

Sometime between 2-4pm this afternoon he stopped by and dropped a deuce on our walkway. 

I'm about to buy a camera like Phin but instead of watching the mountains you can watch this guy take craps around our place in the middle of the day.

BearScat.jpg.7169e8b8af1cb323e6aba8c42212d939.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

No bee problems but my bear (we named him Blue) keeps coming by daily or twice daily. 

Sometime between 2-4pm this afternoon he stopped by and dropped a deuce on our walkway. 

I'm about to buy a camera like Phin but instead of watching the mountains you can watch this guy take craps around our place in the middle of the day.

Baby Ruth bar?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I wouldn't spray them from the outside unless you are 100% positive they can't escape inside your house. 

I have some yellow jackets that have made a nest in a gap between the door jam and door molding, I sat there the other night with wasp and hornet spray and every time one would fly to go back in i would zap them, I stopped at 20..........lol

37 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sounds like they aren’t too far away from the outside entrance. So if they aren’t getting inside the house, I’d probably just wait for the first nasty cold snap in October or maybe even November and then pop the outside cover of the vent off and take them out. They are utterly useless when it’s cold out....so it’s pretty safe to zap them. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sounds like they aren’t too far away from the outside entrance. So if they aren’t getting inside the house, I’d probably just wait for the first nasty cold snap in October or maybe even November and then pop the outside cover of the vent off and take them out. They are utterly useless when it’s cold out....so it’s pretty safe to zap them. 

Thanks... I may do that. They’ll die eventually right? But the issue is they may come back next year if I don’t get the nest out.

49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah you certainly don't want to flush them inside the house if you try something from the outside or sealing off the entrance.

Reminds me of a dumb move at the ski area, there was a large nest inside a wall of a lift shack one summer.  Sprayed the outside entrance and then the next day the entire hive was inside the lift shack and very pissed off, looking for a new way out.

I almost burned my house down a few years ago.  Some bald faced hornets made a nest (volleyball sized) in a bush in front of my house.  After dark I doused it in Raid (2 full cans) then torched it with a gasoline soaked rag

20 foot high flames I front of our daughters bedroom

oops

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I almost burned my house down a few years ago.  Some bald faced hornets made a nest (volleyball sized) in a bush in front of my house.  After dark I doused it in Raid (2 full cans) then torched it with a gasoline soaked rag

20 foot high flames I front of our daughters bedroom

oops

Hold my beer? ;)

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No bee problems but my bear (we named him Blue) keeps coming by daily or twice daily. 

It's time.

(b) A person authorized to take a bear under subsection (a) of this section may designate one individual who holds a resident Vermont hunting license as an agent to take a bear doing damage on his or her behalf. The person may not offer or accept any form of payment to or from the agent under this subsection except as allowed in subsection (e) of this section.

23 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks... I may do that. They’ll die eventually right? But the issue is they may come back next year if I don’t get the nest out.

They won’t come back if they are yellow jackets or hornets...they don’t reuse the same nest each year after it dies off.  

But it should be easy to remove the nest once it turns cold. Pop the top off the vent outside and just clear it out assuming it’s pretty accessible. If there’s only like 18” of piping then I assume it’s right there. 

Tempo dust took care of my yellow jacket problem. Just put some around where they are going in and out of the nest and they track it inside, killing the workers and the nest. It's not an immediate kill like a spray but very effective where you might not have a direct shot at the nest itself.

• Like 1