• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

There's been some pretty encouraging news regarding how long anti-bodies last post-COVID infection. Seems to be settling down some of the concerns early on about how long they persist. But apparently even in mild cases the results are looking promising. 

I also wonder how we continue to do so well in CT...considering how many other states continue to see things out of control. Not sure what's up with the blip circled but I don't recall any daily % numbers that high but we have been hovering around or below 1% for nearly two months now.

Super nervous though if schools re-open and the news with UCONN is a little uneasy

image.png.7675248ddccf0f0179a835be9e697f71.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

There's been some pretty encouraging news regarding how long anti-bodies last post-COVID infection. Seems to be settling down some of the concerns early on about how long they persist. But apparently even in mild cases the results are looking promising. 

I also wonder how we continue to do so well in CT...considering how many other states continue to see things out of control. Not sure what's up with the blip circled but I don't recall any daily % numbers that high but we have been hovering around or below 1% for nearly two months now.

Super nervous though if schools re-open and the news with UCONN is a little uneasy

image.png.7675248ddccf0f0179a835be9e697f71.png

It’s not going well in the very early stages:

Covid-19 infections among students have already caused some colleges to halt in-person classes:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/health/us-coronavirus-wednesday/index.html

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s not going well in the very early stages:

Covid-19 infections among students have already caused some colleges to halt in-person classes:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/health/us-coronavirus-wednesday/index.html

I just can't see how schools can go back. Going to kill progress that has been made in the states that have worked hard to contain and it will only make things worse in states being hit hard.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I just can't see how schools can go back. Going to kill progress that has been made in the states that have worked hard to contain and it will only make things worse in states being hit hard.

I don’t know you can make it work, balancing healthy safety and education but I think districts have to try? Glad I’m not making the decisions though. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I don’t know you can make it work, balancing healthy safety and education but I think districts have to try? Glad I’m not making the decisions though. 

You said it pretty darn well here. This is a no win situation for everyone involved. This situation too would be a PERFECT way to prove just how effective masks are. I totally get the notion that you can't expect a 5-6-7 year old child to keep a mask on all day but if school's are going to be in session at least enforce a mask policy. But then that just draws out the clowns who whine and cry b/c they don't have a "choice" anymore :rolleyes: 

35 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

You said it pretty darn well here. This is a no win situation for everyone involved. This situation too would be a PERFECT way to prove just how effective masks are. I totally get the notion that you can't expect a 5-6-7 year old child to keep a mask on all day but if school's are going to be in session at least enforce a mask policy. But then that just draws out the clowns who whine and cry b/c they don't have a "choice" anymore :rolleyes: 

Yea and the kid’s parents who will make a huge stink about their freedoms and liberties being taken from the ‘commie bastards’ who control the schools. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Problem is (sorta) Most of the kids are asymptotic and a large percent of college kids are as well

only way to see how good Masks are for k-12 is Test them weekly .

My guess is the key difference that will close colleges first is they are testing everyone initially and weekly . Most of the positives were not Ill when they tested positive (it’s just that group has not been tested much at all thru this whole Covid mess) and now they are.

The college group will likely spread it very fast and the school age  kids will be more of a wild card for spreading imo   (but less imo than college kids staying at dorms)

the k-12 kids won’t be tested unless someone in their family shows symptoms 

The younger kids w working parents (essential) and kids from low income homes (there is significant over lap) will suffer the most . It’s brutal .

Stakes are very high for a effective prophylactic , and the vaccine discussion is very interesting as the phase 3 data (potential ADE side effects) will be watched very closely by FDA in high risk populations over next few months 

Also Regeneron will be releasing phase 3 data in late September regarding their anti viral , which could be big but costly$

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone here ever used or currently use a home meal delivery service like hello fresh etc etc?

We are looking to reduce waste and maybe even cut costs.... and were wondering if this might be worthwhile?

We haven't used them but I know people who have.  Some of those are very expensive per person.  Some good meals though.  They still require some work and ingredients you supply.

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

We haven't used them but I know people who have.  Some of those are very expensive per person.  Some good meals though.  They still require some work and ingredients you supply.

Yeah... I think it might be more viable for two people vs a family. The one I was looking at is like 7.99 a person per meal... I guess it all depends on your grocery bill. 

The cost of groceries has absolutely skyrocketed over the last 6 months or so and with the amount we already pay... might be nice to have 4 concrete meal options a week 

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A bit. It would come and go. Wife and kids were using the boogie boards a lot.  I just bobbed. At the spot we were at there is a weird drop off then it gets shallow for a bit.   Fun waves but not really big. I guess Monday was bigger surf?  

Sand bar created by storm surf, mighty rips

• Like 1