Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

I am about to blow my stack.
There was a woman at work who was out for 10 weeks for the Vid back in the Spring...She came back and took a weeks vacation in July, a few other days, scattered here and there...is at the end of a 10 day vacation in one of the hot states, and until yesterday was going to come back in to the office next week. Now she has been instructed to take the 14 day (paid) quarantine/ "work from home" set up.  This will be a total of 16 weeks that this sh*t has gone on.  If one of the laborer guys does the same thing and goes away to a "hot" state and comes back, he is told to stay home for 14 days and use his own personal time.

I have been working through this sh*t since it started so my thoughts and views are a bit different than others with regard to the shut downs and locking your self in the basement for a year mentality.  I know for a FACT that this woman will not be doing much "work from home", nor has done much "work from home" during the first 10 weeks. 

Shit is frustrating.

\vent off.

• Like 8

New York is reopening their gyms on Monday. I know someone in the industry. CT gyms have had over 150k+ people check in and there hasn't been a single covid case associated with any gyms in CT. Not a single staff or contact trace with a gym member. Supposedly that data was huge in getting NY to reopen their gyms. 

On a related note. Its pretty alamring how many people I haven't seen in awhile thay are extremely overweight now. This includes children as well. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

There was a woman at work who was out for 10 weeks for the Vid back in the Spring...She came back and took a weeks vacation in July, a few other days, scattered here and there...is at the end of a 10 day vacation in one of the hot states, and until yesterday was going to come back in to the office next week. Now she has been instructed to take the 14 day (paid) quarantine/ "work from home" set up.  This will be a total of 16 weeks that this sh*t has gone on.  If one of the laborer guys does the same thing and goes away to a "hot" state and comes back, he is told to stay home for 14 days and use his own personal time.

I have been working through this sh*t since it started so my thoughts and views are a bit different than others with regard to the shut downs and locking your self in the basement for a year mentality.  I know for a FACT that this woman will not be doing much "work from home", nor has done much "work from home" during the first 10 weeks. 

Shit is frustrating.

\vent off.

I know the type. Sure she'll be outraged when she doesn't get the yearly increase

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BrianW said:

New York is reopening their gyms on Monday. I know someone in the industry. CT gyms have had over 150k+ people check in and there hasn't been a single covid case associated with any gyms in CT. Not a single staff or contact trace with a gym member. Supposedly that data was huge in getting NY to reopen their gyms. 

On a related note. Its pretty alamring how many people I haven't seen in awhile thay are extremely overweight now. This includes children as well. 

The gym I had used previously (a Planet Fitness) really did a good job setting up equipment and barriers when I went there last month to cancel my membership.   I would have felt ok using it but am really enjoying my home workout routine more. It has been helpful to me since March.  

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

I know the type. Sure she'll be outraged when she doesn't get the yearly increase

But that’s the thing, she’ll get the increase and a promotion while the laborers making the company dollars will get an extra 8 hours of PTO, so they can now take off 4 days next year (yay!).  Also maybe a nice email from the CEO thanking them for their hard work during a challenging year.

5 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Shit is frustrating.

\vent off.

Working from home has largely been a joke for many people, especially those that weren’t doing it in any capacity before the pandemic.

If we currently go to a hotspot we are to quarantine on our own PTO when we return, since we can’t work from home. Folks who can will just work from home.

sucks 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

But that’s the thing, she’ll get the increase and a promotion while the laborers making the company dollars will get an extra 8 hours of PTO, so they can now take off 4 days next year (yay!).  Also maybe a nice email from the CEO thanking them for their hard work during a challenging year.

We were asked to give up our contractually obligated raises this year. Since I am in a union, it had to be voted on. The overwhelming majority voted to forgo raises to help make up budget shortfalls and hopefully prevent layoffs.

From the second we voted to give it back, we’ve regretted it. Working guys to the bone, unrealistic expectations on a skeleton crew, etc etc.

No good deed goes unpunished.

4 hours ago, kdxken said:

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Working from home has largely been a joke for many people, especially those that weren’t doing it in any capacity before the pandemic.

If we currently go to a hotspot we are to quarantine on our own PTO when we return, since we can’t work from home. Folks who can will just work from home.

sucks 

Back in March I was given the option to "work from home", but I really could not due to the nature of my work, plus I really did not want to be "that guy" working from home.  I have a big-azz office, that is part of a suite where no body else is working so there really was no reason for me to stay home.  This woman also has a big-azz office where she literally does not have to come in contact with a single soul during her work day.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We were asked to give up our contractually obligated raises this year. Since I am in a union, it had to be voted on. The overwhelming majority voted to forgo raises to help make up budget shortfalls and hopefully prevent layoffs.

From the second we voted to give it back, we’ve regretted it. Working guys to the bone, unrealistic expectations on a skeleton crew, etc etc.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Sounds like working for an American company.

At some level in most companies there’s a line between the haves and have nots.  Day laborers and front line staff usually vs/against the corporate office, management or salaried folks.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dryslot said:

Looks like they did ok in Sturgis though.

I am curious how they could tell.  With so many people coming and then leaving in the subsequent outbreaks could be anywhere, even along the route of travel.  Sturgis itself has  6k people (IIRC) so if they got hit you could see it but if my dog's vet from RI goes out there,, gets it, stops in Indiana on the way home, gives it to  hotel worker, and then spreads it to friends in RI- who announces the contact tracing to show it had an effect.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

And if they are lucky a membership in the Jelly of the Month Club

2 minutes ago, klw said:

I am curious how they could tell.  With so many people coming and then leaving in the subsequent outbreaks could be anywhere, even along the route of travel.  Sturgis itself has  6k people (IIRC) so if they got hit you could see it but if my dog's vet from RI goes out there,, gets it, stops in Indiana on the way home, gives it to  hotel worker, and then spreads it to friends in RI- who announces the contact tracing to show it had an effect.

Just based on media reports (example, the WaPo) it doesn’t appear that there have yet been a lot of cases linked to the event.  Some yes...

Ran into this young bull moose for a second time in the past few weeks up on Spruce Peak.  Still looking very healthy and his young antlers are getting longer... no tick issues noted (appeared to be thorns or burrs from laying down on his backside).  I know where he's bedding down and he was grazing very close to that spot.  He's got a large area of grass and ferns all packed out and flattened near the bottom of a ski trail.

118223185_10104294244077310_393169474351

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ran into this young bull moose for a second time in the past few weeks up on Spruce Peak.  Still looking very healthy and his young antlers are getting longer... no tick issues noted (appeared to be thorns or burrs from laying down on his backside).  I know where he's bedding down 

May want to edit your details lest someone with a permit reads this.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, klw said:

May want to edit your details lest someone with a permit reads this.

True.  Though I've never seen hunters at the ski resort in over 15 years there.  It would be one hell of an extraction from 3,000ft with no public vehicle access anywhere close.

Is there any elevation limit to hunting?  I know with a lot of things the state gets much tighter with regs up high.  I think it would be an extreme stretch to see someone hunting up in that area, especially after reading this weather forum, but I'll edit it I guess, ha.

Sounds like working for an American company.

At some level in most companies there’s a line between the haves and have nots.  Day laborers and front line staff usually vs/against the corporate office, management or salaried folks.  

Yeah... the idea was brought up about having the top 10% of earners take a 5% pay cut instead of taking raises away from all the lower level folks. As you can imagine, that was quickly met with a lot of backlash.

Call me crazy, but I think it makes more sense to ask your big earners (likely 150k+) a year to take a cut instead of asking guys making 50-60k a year to not get a raise.

• Like 3

Ran into this young bull moose for a second time in the past few weeks up on Spruce Peak.  Still looking very healthy and his young antlers are getting longer... no tick issues noted (appeared to be thorns or burrs from laying down on his backside).  I know where he's bedding down and he was grazing very close to that spot.  He's got a large area of grass and ferns all packed out and flattened near the bottom of a ski trail.

PF,  This is a beautiful picture.  Even the framing is perfect.  Nice to see him so healthy

37 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

PF,  This is a beautiful picture.  Even the framing is perfect.  Nice to see him so healthy

Thanks, I took the 200mm lens up in case I ran into him.  He's been seen by a ton of folks lately so I figured I'd have a second chance at photographing him at some point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

True.  Though I've never seen hunters at the ski resort in over 15 years there.  It would be one hell of an extraction from 3,000ft with no public vehicle access anywhere close.

Is there any elevation limit to hunting?  I know with a lot of things the state gets much tighter with regs up high.  I think it would be an extreme stretch to see someone hunting up in that area, especially after reading this weather forum, but I'll edit it I guess, ha.

No elevation limit but the permits are for specific Wildlife Management Units (WMU). With the decline in moose population they have drastically reduced the number of permits issued. I think just about all of them are in The NEK but I’m not absolutely positive about that. 

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah... the idea was brought up about having the top 10% of earners take a 5% pay cut instead of taking raises away from all the lower level folks. As you can imagine, that was quickly met with a lot of backlash.

Call me crazy, but I think it makes more sense to ask your big earners (likely 150k+) a year to take a cut instead of asking guys making 50-60k a year to not get a raise.

Vermont did something along those lines with the economic crisis 10 years ago.  State employees making over 60K took a 5% cut.  Those under got a lesser cut- 3% I think,

5 hours ago, klw said:

The media better not say the bike rally caused a surge in cases after saying the protests did not. Come on...

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1