Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think my top 5 would be...

1. tulip poplar

2. sugar maple

3. american chestnut/black walnut/hickory/hardy pecan (I like edible nut trees)

4. yellow birch

5. black gum

Can you get the American chestnut to survive to maturity without the blight attack? 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can you get the American chestnut to survive to maturity without the blight attack? 

Probably not...although if his neighborhood is lacking trees maybe it'd have a chance for awhile? I was thinking moreso the transgenic trees though. I have a 30ft+ tree in the back woods that I found amongst the numerous beech a couple years ago that looks very healthy and there's a bunch of oak around too. Oak can be a carrier of the blight even though it shows no effects from it.

The trees I planted all came from GoNative which were saplings or germinated seeds from parents that have strong blight resistance. Scroll down here to see the parent trees...

https://www.gonativetrees.com/american-chestnut/

Check out my post in the lawn thread about the transgenic tree going up for approval from the USDA. If it gets the OK from all of the agencies I'll get one of those trees and you'll start seeing them available at nurseries as well. Hopefully once it reaches maturity it'll be able to reproduce with one of my new trees on the one in the woods so that I'll be able to get 50% blight free nuts for germinating purposes.

So my wife loves the eventual look of maple trees. So we’ve decided to go either sunset maple or autumn blaze red maple... both get about 40 feet tall and about 30 feet wide...probably a better size for our application than a tulip polar or something that can get twice the height.

Those maples will have no issues with water lines or anything like that I’d assume?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So my wife loves the eventual look of maple trees. So we’ve decided to go either sunset maple or autumn blaze red maple... both get about 40 feet tall and about 30 feet wide...probably a better size for our application than a tulip polar or something that can get twice the height.

Those maples will have no issues with water lines or anything like that I’d assume?

I grew up with a Red Maple literally. My Dad planted it when I was 3. My kids climbed that tree whenever we visited.  Awesome tree

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think you'll be OK. Silver maples are the ones to watch out for.

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Happy wife happy life....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Glad you like them, they are a nice tree.  There were pictures of the 2 of them in the text I sent you, one has grown faster then the other.   I'm thinking they'll grow another 10-15 feet and expand their canopies.  I've really started no notice the impacts of having the shade under them too.  My front lawn burns out less and less each year now.

A UCONN professor of forestry wrote about how all the dead ash and oak trees in 2018 are going to cause major problems. Looks like the situation is pretty bad in Eastern CT from gypsy moths according to the article with some areas having 80-90% canopy loss.

From a public safety point of view, the numbers of dead trees that have the potential to ultimately impact roadways and power lines is well beyond the capacity of property owners, town budgets, CT-DOT and/or utilities to address.

https://blog.extension.uconn.edu/201...-insect-pests/

This is a common sight all over CT.

Higganum-road-Worthley-pic.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Tree guys, are there EABs in Coos County? The NH website says just Grafton and south. I have a bunch of sick looking ash here though. 

Is there any "blond-ing" of the bark?  Woodpeckers cause that as they feed on the larvae.  It can be caused by critters other than EAB but if it's not present it's almost certain that EAB isn't the culprit.  If the ash are large and tall, some dieback would mean those trees are beginning to fade.  Since there's no better wood to cut today and burn tomorrow than white ash, you might want it for your early wood while the maples and beech season a bit.

Edit:  30° at MWN at 8 AM.

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

A UCONN professor of forestry wrote about how all the dead ash and oak trees in 2018 are going to cause major problems. Looks like the situation is pretty bad in Eastern CT from gypsy moths according to the article with some areas having 80-90% canopy loss.

From a public safety point of view, the numbers of dead trees that have the potential to ultimately impact roadways and power lines is well beyond the capacity of property owners, town budgets, CT-DOT and/or utilities to address.

The dead ash trees are a very common sight over in this neck of the woods too.

We know in ECT. Already took down 8, had 7 fall in 3 years. Number 9 in my backyard

Screenshot_20200826-112631_Gallery.jpg

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Is there any "blond-ing" of the bark?  Woodpeckers cause that as they feed on the larvae.  It can be caused by critters other than EAB but if it's not present it's almost certain that EAB isn't the culprit.  If the ash are large and tall, some dieback would mean those trees are beginning to fade.  Since there's no better wood to cut today and burn tomorrow than white ash, you might want it for your early wood while the maples and beech season a bit.

Edit:  30° at MWN at 8 AM.

Haven’t noticed any blonding. Basically the crowns of all of the trees are dead. Could have been an ice storm I guess. Locals said there was a nasty one a few years back that clipped all the ash. 

Same look here. I have 5 big oaks in my yard that need to come down. Took the 2 most dangerous ones down in April. All said and done, it will cost me north of $7500-8500. And that’s a steal. 

44 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Haven’t noticed any blonding. Basically the crowns of all of the trees are dead. Could have been an ice storm I guess. Locals said there was a nasty one a few years back that clipped all the ash. 

I lost 1 ash to EAB here in CT but have been treating another really old one with a soil drench of Imidcloprid. Its still doing great where just about every ash here is completely dead.. You can get a bottle of Dominion 2l on Amazon for like $25. Its the same stuff the pros use. 

The crown died off first on the one I lost. There will be woodpeckers all over it like crazy if you have EAB.

Here is the one I lost and the other I treated. I counted the rings on the one that was cut down and it was almost 100 years old.

20190612-171244.jpg

20190703-170851.jpg

19 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I lost 1 ash to EAB here in CT but have been treating another really old one with a soil drench of Imidcloprid. Its still doing great where just about every ash here is completely dead.. You can get a bottle of Dominion 2l on Amazon for like $25. Its the same stuff the pros use. 

The crown died off first on the one I lost. There will be woodpeckers all over it like crazy if you have EAB.

Here is the one I lost and the other I treated. I counted the rings on the one that was cut down and it was almost 100 years old.

20190612-171244.jpg

20190703-170851.jpg

Nice saw, I have a 365

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I like ash, but I’m not a fan of drenching with chemicals to save the trees. Ash and elm will probably need some sort of gene editing to deter EAB and prevent DED. Hemlock and maybe oak are next in line. 

What if all of your genetic tinkering and playing botany god creates killer trees out for revenge?

iu.jpeg.ed6e367e6b848ae6016a46ff538b8640.jpeg

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I like ash, but I’m not a fan of drenching with chemicals to save the trees. Ash and elm will probably need some sort of gene editing to deter EAB and prevent DED. Hemlock and maybe oak are next in line. 

I usually don't use them either but the tree service gave me a deal to inject it with Tree-age since they were already here.. It supposedly is the best stuff to use against EAB and lasts for 2 years. I mainly did it because it is insanely expensive to get a tree removed here. That ash cost me almost $4k to get removed with some other small tree trimming. I bought myself 2 more years and I can get it injected again for $400 next year to buy 2 more. 

That's part of the big issue here is homeowners don't have the cash to get dead trees cut down. So they end up on power lines.  I know 2 people that actually paid to get their neighbors huge dead standing ash trees cut down. Cheap insurance especially when it was leaning towards their house. 

https://arborjet.com/product/tree-age/