Newest Member
    joxey
May Discussion

weatherwiz

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

From the other day in Groton Mass

...SUMMARY...
WIND DAMAGE WAS ALSO OBSERVED IN GROTON AND WESTFORD FROM THE SAME STORM THAT
PRODUCED THE MICROBURST IN PEPPERELL. A DRONE VIDEO SHOWED EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE
NEAR COW POND CONSERVATION AREA IN GROTON, WITH THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE TREES
BLOWN DOWN IN A STRAIGHT LINE. A WIND GUST TO 89 MPH WAS MEASURED AT MIT'S
MILLSTONE FACILITY NEAR THE GROTON/WESTFORD LINE AND THE PUBLIC REPORTED A WIND
GUST TO 86 MPH IN THEIR BACKYARD IN WESTFORD. 

You see the pictures I posted in the storm thread? My sister lives adjacent to the Cow Preserve.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Let’s not get carried away....

On my lunch time walk it was brisk but going home I gained 7 degrees in the 3 miles further inland...

Shorts and tees on yesterday with a nice breeze and a long nap on the deck couch in the sun. We tan

16 hours ago, dryslot said:

You don't lol, But some always managed to get in when you went in.

That high-pitched whine is a major sleep-depriver.  Isn't it amazing how a little critter that weighs less than 0.1 gram can terrorize an adult camper that weighs more than a million times as much?

Light frost this morning, low was 30-31.   (Avg date here for last frost is 5/24.)   Shooting for 40° diurnal range.

• Haha 1

Whatever MOS has for Sunday over SNE, shave 10 more off ... as a beginning estimate/correction need - 

That is a wall of eastern Canada cold that is mixing with Labradorian heat sink ... it will get colder than any guidance says with that synopsis over the weekend. 

It's interesting the old argument-causing nemesis down in the TV may just get a last laugh too...because even the Euro is using its ghost/barely discernible echo to still have enough mechanics to block up the works and prevent the surface pressure pattern from otherwise evolving the BD air mass S of our latitude. Thus, with the pressure pattern forced to escape east, that drills an east wind into Boston clear 'till the middle o' next week... So it becomes the BD that keeps on butt bangin' long after the initial synopsis that caused it is gone.  

I swear...there's something synergistically curses about New England. This area is just defaulted with reasons to stay colder than anywhere else... Even NW NS ends up warmer than Logan airport next week, and this is something I've noticed about this geography every year, too... It's a weird kind of planetary-circumstantial cold dumpster. I'm willing to hunch ... if one were to scale the equations of influences on this region, and remove all factors less than the super-synoptic construct, that remaining larger default canvas is actually a NE wind here.   We just don't see it because the pattern din is always in off-set that masks it...but that governing effect means that these sort of 'cool bias' permutations tend to happen here more than elsewhere - exaggerated by seasonal lag -attributed to CC too

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Jspin could give him a run with a good upslope season. Maybe Alex too....not 100% sure, but I think Phineas being on the side of Randolph hill there is in a slightly better spot than Alex, and them being fairly close together geographically might make it hard for Alex to get more.

It'll be interesting to see... I think Alex has him beat in elevation but only by 100 feet.  Despite being at the bottom of a valley, Alex is way up there.  Probably a colder location for sure at night, as Phin looks more mid-slope style property.

Gonna be some good NNE snow races going on.

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

What is the latest date for the melt?

Mid-June?

Stake is down under 4 feet.

One of the more ridiculous ones was May 1997... that was very cold with several snow events.  I think MWN got crushed that month.

But there was still 48" at the stake on May 31st that year, we are already below that with 11 warm days to go.

stake2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Mid-June?

One of the more ridiculous ones was May 1997... that was very cold with several snow events.  I think MWN got crushed that month.

But there was still 48" at the stake on May 31st that year, we are already below that with 11 warm days to go.

stake2.jpeg

Thanks for letting me know. 

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mid-June?

Record May in fact. 95.8" :lol:

6th snowiest month up there period.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Record May in fact. 95.8" :lol:

6th snowiest month up there period.

Ha yeah that’s nuts.  I wasn’t up here then but people talk about skiing powder for like 2 straight weeks in the high terrain, which isn’t all that far off the first half of this May.  That one sounded like the cold lasted all month.

Just now, dendrite said:

70°

We mid spring.

I agree.  69/38 is about perfect for me.  In my hood the leaves are about at 50% of full leaf out.  Took a ride today up to Campton NH.  Trees are still bare above 2000 feet.   Still some natural snow on top of Mt Lafayette.   

Top layer of soil is quickly drying out.  Would like to see one day of beneficial rain and then back to this COC weather.

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

I agree.  69/38 is about perfect for me.  In my hood the leaves are about at 50% of full leaf out.  Took a ride today up to Campton NH.  Trees are still bare above 2000 feet.   Still some natural snow on top of Mt Lafayette.   

Top layer of soil is quickly drying out.  Would like to see one day of beneficial rain and then back to this COC weather.

Epstein just fainted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1