Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Discussion

weatherwiz

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not really worried about 32F here this week on my hill. CON may pull 34-36F, but I should be safe. The avocado trees will probably go outside for good during the day on Thursday.

Do you have a routine you use to harden the avocados off to go outside? 

I have one which is about 3 years old that I have been growing inside but I would like to transition it outside for the summer.  I assume low light (no afternoon sun ) and wind during daytime at first, bring back in at night, etc.  Increase exposure.  Is this your approach or have you used some other way.

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not really worried about 32F here this week on my hill. CON may pull 34-36F, but I should be safe. The avocado trees will probably go outside for good during the day on Thursday.

Speaking of frost on a hill, a buddy in town here in Stowe was close to frost this morning but missed it by like 10 vertical feet. 

Lows were 33F here but looks like a shallow sloping yard is just enough to frost the bottom of the bowl... but 8-10 feet higher up no dice.  Vegetation probably forms a barrier too? 

98434532_577142043182197_3811121169768120320_n.thumb.jpg.91f60444098f0e66fff1622db5d90574.jpg

30 minutes ago, klw said:

Do you have a routine you use to harden the avocados off to go outside? 

I have one which is about 3 years old that I have been growing inside but I would like to transition it outside for the summer.  I assume low light (no afternoon sun ) and wind during daytime at first, bring back in at night, etc.  Increase exposure.  Is this your approach or have you used some other way.

I usually put them on the north side of my house so that they only get some weak UV in the morning and late afternoon. After a week I put them under my willow tree and let the filtered midday light hit them. After a week there I put them out in the full sun. I may get a few minorly burnt leaves, but they make it through or just fall off.

My trees under the grow light this winter got a little leggy so I pruned back some of the new branch growth anyway. So the majority of my leaves are already UV tolerant.

Is your tree from seed or is it an actual grafted Haas plant?

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I usually put them on the north side of my house so that they only get some weak UV in the morning and late afternoon. After a week I put them under my willow tree and let the filtered midday light hit them. After a week there I put them out in the full sun. I may get a few minorly burnt leaves, but they make it through or just fall off.

My trees under the grow light this winter got a little leggy so I pruned back some of the new branch growth anyway. So the majority of my leaves are already UV tolerant.

Is your tree from seed or is it an actual grafted Haas plant?

The tree grew from a seed which I took from an avocado I had eaten.  I started it at the office and had it there for two or three years until I brought it home last fall.  It is probably about 3 feet high at this point with lots of good growth.  It has never been outside and sits in a west facing window but rarely has ever gotten direct sun.  Our house only has one south facing window and that is for the Lemon trees.

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Too bad that weather doesn’t last into the weekend. Cooler Saturday and Sunday but nice.

OH, that's a flag taut-ing screen door slammer BD signal there on Saturday all the way  ... Talking 35 kt pulse and tree tops swaying.  That overall synoptic evolution with that sort of big deep impulse rotating down and through the Maritimes and its backside mid level gravity well confluence is going to pile up the mass of Jupiter at in the lower levels and send it's gelid hell to Maryland in that look. 

I could almost see that strata decking in with 48 F at Lowell Saturday by 2pm... with Kevin claiming the BD's never going to get there when it's already 50 miles past 'im.  

I'm being hyperbole but yeah...I'd go under on the cooler, too to be honest.  That's the best the resolution the current technology can see and if it is that coherent, at this time range, with the detail of curved pressure contouring that looks like the front of a spilled bread batter lobing in from the NE, it's probably a cold fist in the lowest 200 mb quite a bit under-justly depicted - cold!  The only way we get out of that is to have the governing eddie just not work out that way with that Maritime impulse and backside confluence. 

That said...it looks sooo boringly typical frankly.  We are on the doorstop of a hemispheric heat look, so what happens?  We get 30 hours of heat, then we recess back to bone cold ...only to agonize when the warm front turns back around a day or two later.  It like always does that total evolution... Starts to heat up...get a warm afternoon, pay some kind of persecution tax where everyone else east of Mississippi gets days of heat but we have to suffer 36 hours... Heat comes back ahead of the cold front, we effectively lost out on longevity.  

• Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This will be repeated Sunday.Just warmer version

I actually mentioned this tongue-in-cheek yesterday or the day before, myself... But not just related to that particular metric, the whole construct of this week is exceedingly rare. 

We don't typically deposit middel/upper level troposphere cut-offs toward the EC, have them retrograde and instead results in total in utopica weather.  That's like never happened in May that I can see, and Tim's little inset analysis is really just sort of "genetically" linkable to that whole oddity in general.