• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New Year Storm Thread 12/29-01/01

dryslot

GYX discussion portrays a double-hit scenario, and adds that points north (actually, east) of a Carrabassett-to-PWM line might see very little from the first section.  Not thrilled, as I recall the big early month storm described in similar terms.  In that one, some southernmost Maine sites got nearly 10" in act 1 then another 9" from act 2.  Meanwhile, our area was downgraded from Winter Storm Watch to WWA to JALS (just another little snowstorm), such that we felt fortunate getting 2.8" from #2 after being shut out in the opener.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

GYX discussion portrays a double-hit scenario, and adds that points north (actually, east) of a Carrabassett-to-PWM line might see very little from the first section.  Not thrilled, as I recall the big early month storm described in similar terms.  In that one, some southernmost Maine sites got nearly 10" in act 1 then another 9" from act 2.  Meanwhile, our area was downgraded from Winter Storm Watch to WWA to JALS (just another little snowstorm), such that we felt fortunate getting 2.8" from #2 after being shut out in the opener.

Yeah, These 2 part systems not a big fan of when you have to rely on one or the other to perform.

2 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Poking in once again from Southwest Sullivan County, NY, this event could be crazy in the sense that people like me in lower elevations could see next to no ice but a drive into elevation the story suddenly turns into >.25 (and even >.5) of ice. Crazy stuff.

In 2008 I drove west to granville and it was mostly rain.. as I looked up the hill you could see ice covered trees.. two miles after that it was like a bomb went off and a total disaster.. one of the few times I was nervous driving

Just now, ineedsnow said:

In 2008 I drove west to granville and it was mostly rain.. as I looked up the hill you could see ice covered trees.. two miles after that it was like a bomb went off and a total disaster.. one of the few times I was nervous driving

Speaking of bombs going off, drove through the Hamden tornado damage path today. Man, between the tornado and the microburst, some very impressive swathes of damage. 

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, These 2 part systems not a big fan of when you have to rely on one or the other to perform.

I'd take what you got for that last one.  :weenie:   19 of my 22 Decembers here have produced a snowfall greater than the 3" level that's tops (so far) for 12/19.  (Other exceptions are '99 and '11, and those aren't the winters I'd want this one to emulate.)

48 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Hope you have 4 wheel drive for these weenie runs.