• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
New Year Storm Thread 12/29-01/01

dryslot

Not much overall has changed. Seems like biggest ice threat is W and S of places like ORH, but still questions to sort out. Looks like Essex county, esp near Ray has a shot of several inches of snow. It appears that the trend of the WAA thump is not as robust so that may keep areas from truly damaging ice? Going to have to wait and see on that. 

Secondary low looks to track near the canal. That may flip people like Dave back to snow. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not much overall has changed. Seems like biggest ice threat is W and S of places like ORH, but still questions to sort out. Looks like Essex county, esp near Ray has a shot of several inches of snow. It appears that the trend of the WAA thump is not as robust so that may keep areas from truly damaging ice? Going to have to wait and see on that. 

Secondary low looks to track near the canal. That may flip people like Dave back to snow. 

Interesting yesterday Will and you discounted any snow.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well for a majority in SNE, yes. And I said has a shot. It's not a lock, but 2-3" could happen. 

While I'll certainly be following it, I'm with Dave in being a little tired of this event.  I think this will be essentially one for CNE.  Some inconsequential sleet and ice in MA and some decent snow--albeit tainted with ip--through NH and western ME through the mid-coast (with more taint on the latter if the secondary tracks more tightly).

39 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Secondary low looks to track near the canal. That may flip people like Dave back to snow

You would think, but we lose any surface high at that point, and the coastal low isn’t sufficiently deep to generate low level CAD until it’s into Maine. It seems more likely to me that 800-900 warmth is being captured well on guidance for part II, but the surface CAD is significantly underdone. Most likely outcome is areas that are below freezing at the surface through part 1 remain so through part II. Surface temps stagnate while 800-900 warm slightly. Points south, around BDL, are mostly light freezing rain/drizzle, while points north, around PSM, are mostly sleet. Areas, in between (around ORH) are a mix of sleet and freezing rain. Seems more like a “we rot” situation, despite the coastal low development. 

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

You would think, but we lose any surface high at that point, and the coastal low isn’t sufficiently deep to generate low level CAD until it’s into Maine. It seems more likely to me that 800-900 warmth is being captured well on guidance for part II, but the surface CAD is significantly underdone. Most likely outcome is areas that are below freezing at the surface through part 1 remain so through part II. Surface temps stagnate while 800-900 warm slightly. Points south, around BDL, are mostly light freezing rain/drizzle, while points north, around PSM, are mostly sleet. Areas, in between (around ORH) are a mix of sleet and freezing rain. Seems more like a “we rot” situation, despite the coastal low development. 

The Pope has decreed it so.

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

For nrn ORH county it should be cold enough near the surface and temps aloft cool so that HubbDave could see it flip back before ending. I wouldn't expect 6" but he could sneak an inch or two. Obviously this part is more questionable. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

For nrn ORH county it should be cold enough near the surface and temps aloft cool so that HubbDave could see it flip back before ending. I wouldn't expect 6" but he could sneak an inch or two. Obviously this part is more questionable. 

You might be right, but I’ll say since living in coastal NH, the surface CAD is really robust, but at the same time 850 -900 warmth commonly makes its way up to where warm fronts go to die —“Lake Winne Region”. I think this is one of those setups where the surface front ends up over SE MA—*much* further southeast— than at 850.

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

You might be right, but I’ll say since living in coastal NH, the surface CAD is really robust, but at the same time 850 -900 warmth commonly makes its way up to where warm fronts go to die —“Lake Winne Region”. I think this is one of those setups where the surface front ends up over SE MA—*much* further southeast— than at 850.

Oh yeah it’s definitely going to torch especially 850-700 or so. No argument there. My Point is that I would keep my eye  on that second part  where he is. That’s all. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I honestly don’t give a hoot about any snow at this point.  Just the ice is giving me fits.   Dang it!!!

24 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I'm noticing a trend, most of the NH participants are taking a negative approach.  The GOOD news is that it is only Saturday giving us around 38 hours to change our mind 5,369 times :-) . 

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I honestly don’t give a hoot about any snow at this point.  Just the ice is giving me fits.   Dang it!!!

I don’t think freezing rain is that big of a deal there. You’ll be snow to start and go over to pellets with probably crap ice crystals mixed in with the sleet. Maybe you get a glaze at the end? But I don’t see it as a huge deal. The ZR anyways. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

If i was where you are, I would be concerned too about the ice but you could get pelted as well, Really havn't looked down there as i have my own battle to wage.......lol

• Like 1

Most of the meaningful precip is snow here with a brief period of IP at the end of part 1 and beginning of part 2 as the midlevels try to cool back down. 1.25-1.50" QPF will result in quite a mess. One little bump NE with warmer H8 air and we're talking half sleet and half snow. I think that's the route I'm leaning with a period of snow, solid pelting for awhile, and then we'll end as snow as the secondary begins to pick up.

• Like 1