Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
New Year Storm Thread 12/29-01/01

dryslot

1 hour ago, alex said:

That was with installation, but not including propane hookup. 

We get a decent amount of outages here, so it's worth it to me. Especially with little ones. And given our propensity to flood, there's also the consideration for sump pumps which can make a big difference. It was worth it to me. 

Thanks.  We're sitting on an offer of $6,000 for a 13kw, fully installed including the necessary cut-out to protect lineworkers.  However, we're still researching propane sources and installation prices.  We may have to wait thru winter as the ground between the generator and fuel setups probably has 12"+ frost and it's getting deeper.  (One company said they could run the gas pipe above ground temporarily, but I'm not in favor as we need to keep a path open there for oil delivery - and for access to my max-min thermometer. :weenie:)

Sort of like winterizing a summer home

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickondetroit.com/news/2017/03/09/how-to-prevent-your-pipes-from-freezing-when-you-have-no-heat/%3foutputType=amp

Today's outage is either the 4th or 5th since the equinox, and things seem to be worsening year by year.  I'd rather not be taking all those steps with that kind of frequency, might omit something important (like the furnace emergency switch) and have damage costing nearly as much as the gen.  That winterizing process is what we had done at dad's NH place for 94-95 (didn't in 93-94 due both to the suddenness and timing of his passing and our wish to have bathroom privileges during our 2-day visits to check on things.)

Could this be the biggest weather impact event of the season for New England?   1-2.5" of qpf with a big cold high to the northeast.  Impossible forecast for sensible weather in any one location but someone is going to have a potential big freezing rain situation going on with sleet and snow to the north.  Long event too.  Bigger event all and all over a general 6-12" snow storm.  

• Weenie 2

Just now, tamarack said:

Thanks.  We're sitting on an offer of $6,000 for a 13kw, fully installed including the necessary cut-out to protect lineworkers.  However, we're still researching propane sources and installation prices.  We may have to wait thru winter as the ground between the generator and fuel setups probably has 12"+ frost and it's getting deeper.  (One company said they could run the gas pipe above ground temporarily, but I'm not in favor as we need to keep a path open there for oil delivery - and for access to my max-min thermometer. :weenie:)

Sort of like winterizing a summer home

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickondetroit.com/news/2017/03/09/how-to-prevent-your-pipes-from-freezing-when-you-have-no-heat/%3foutputType=amp

Today's outage is either the 4th or 5th since the equinox, and things seem to be worsening year by year.  I'd rather not be taking all those steps with that kind of frequency, might omit something important (like the furnace emergency switch) and have damage costing nearly as much as the gen.  That winterizing process is what we had done at dad's NH place for 94-95 (didn't in 93-94 due both to the suddenness and timing of his passing and our wish to have bathroom privileges during our 2-day visits to check on things.)

I didn’t realize they happened so often.  Then it makes sense.  Good luck

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I didn’t realize they happened so often.  Then it makes sense.  Good luck

Thanks.  In Jan 1998, 4 days w/o power was an adventure but we were young and foolish then, now no longer young.  :lol:

Back to the thread's topic - seems like lots of potential for this event, especially up my way.  But lots of bust potential as well.  Folks mentioning the Boxing Day storm (presumably for the similar date, not similar setup) has me recalling how the Euro and GFS would switch back and forth from cutter to wide right on alternating runs (in opposite directions) in the 3-6 days out range. 

39 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Wow that Euro map is a grid destroyer NW/ NE CT hills

I think that's the GEM, the EC is the other map.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....while this says accumulated, isn't it actually the total rainfall while the temp is below freezing not the anticipated accretion?

Speaking of which....how are the modeled rain rates of this?  I know for big ice one doesn't want it too heavy unless it's damn cold.