Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Year Storm Thread 12/29-01/01

dryslot

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

it's funny ... this is completely the wrong thread to mention this, but there is a tenor in this social media that's acting as though we should be suffering some form of winter abandonment - which, ...WRONG.

We are above normal Dec climo - if people need to guide their sense of happiness based on constant diet of some metaphoric dystopian cryo-horror drug like a junky that can't get to the better high, than you're just f'n nuts.

You're in a great goddamn winter until further f'n notice.  Deal with it. hahaha wow

Agreed completely Tip, It's comical! From my perspective most seasons we've only had flurries at best before Christmas/new years. I'm sitting at 25 inches and still have a layer of crust in a good deal of my yard......

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This solution sounds pretty reasonable...toned down VD Day type event for us.

Please don't causally toss around the VDay event.  Even nearly 13 years later its sets my heart a flutter thinking about over 30" of snow and then the rest of 2007 and 2008.  

Not disecting the models like you guys do but I'll take the GFS.  Maybe I'll barely be able to hold onto snow for this run.  Then as secondary gets going and pivots around just keeps snow going and going into Tuesday.

Meanwhile 29F Thick freezing fog and drizzle and my dirt road and driveway is a skating rink.  Cold air rules.

2 hours ago, alex said:

We paid $7 K for a 14Kwh standby generator. Prices might be a bit cheaper up here though 

Was that for just the generator and its installation and hookup, or did it include purchase/installation/initial fill-up of the propane tank(s)?

If you are without power for more than two days, just book a nice hotel or an air b n b. Much cheaper.  
I don’t get the generator thing.   

Depends on the value of food in fridge/freezer that spoils, and on whether outage length plus winter cold causes burst pipes.  ;)

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Was that for just the generator and its installation and hookup, or did it include purchase/installation/initial fill-up of the propane tank(s)?

If you are without power for more than two days, just book a nice hotel or an air b n b. Much cheaper.  
I don’t get the generator thing.   

Depends on the value of food in fridge/freezer that spoils, and on whether outage length plus winter cold causes burst pipes.  ;)

Pipes are the big issue but that can be avoided.   If someone has $7000 of food in a freezer please invite me  over

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We're above climo, but that 30 inch storm on Dec 2 doesn't really count.....it's like a fluke.  You know in statistics how you remove the highest and lowest value? That's basically what you do for snow.   You could get 40" in one storm on Christmas but the rest of the winter could torch....IMO that's a poopy winter. A winter's grade isn't all about snowfall, it's about consistency as well- both in frozen precip and cold temperature. 

K? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Pipes are the big issue but that can be avoided.   If someone has $7000 of food in a freezer please invite me  over

As bob said earlier... TMLP for the win. Keeps energy costs down and also I’m about to turn 26 and have never personally lost power for more than a few hours.

Also... my neighbor across the street has a gigantic diesel generator and he said he has no problem running extension cords to peoples houses and has done it in the neighborhood. So I don’t really see the need to buy one.

The only thing I’m really concerned with is my sump pump, at that has a battery backup capable of pumping over 15000 gallons of water. So god forbid that failed, I could run a cord across from my neighbors house to get that running.

As for this event, no concerns here. Cold rain

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

We're above climo, but that 30 inch storm on Dec 2 doesn't really count.....it's like a fluke.  You know in statistics how you remove the highest and lowest value? That's basically what you do for snow.   You could get 40" in one storm on Christmas but the rest of the winter could torch....IMO that's a poopy winter. A winter's grade isn't all about snowfall, it's about consistency as well- both in frozen precip and cold temperature. 

K? 

:weenie:

K?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not sure how.  It's almost 26 years now, but in mid-Jan 1994 we traveled to the NH house to check on things (my dad had passed on 12/7/93, leaving the house empty) and while we were there 2 days our place in Gardiner hit -21 with wind and subzero max.  Had the power gone away shortly after we headed west, we could easily have been facing a 5-figure repair bill - in 1994 dollars - for plumbing and water damage.

We are below avg for Dec, So i can complain.............:)

Current Dec snow here is a tick behind that ultimate torch called Dec 2015, and less than 60% of the average Dec thru the 27th.  Even with the AN Novie we're down 3" for the season.  Not terrible, of course, but not what I'd call "great" either.

7 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Long duration, starts around 12-3am Monday 30th and does not exit my region till morning on the 1st..

Duration has been my biggest problem with this winter. Being on the coast I'm used to rain or mix but this winter has had ridiculous amounts of mixed precip for in some cases, what are days long storms. On the 10th we had about 11" of snow but it was after almost 72 hours of precip.  That's pretty insane even for this area.  If you get paid by the hour to deal with that than that's great but if not it's awful,  at that point you start hoping for straight rain. 

The last storm was almost 24 hours and we finished with about 2.5".  Pass.

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not sure how.  It's almost 26 years now, but in mid-Jan 1994 we traveled to the NH house to check on things (my dad had passed on 12/7/93, leaving the house empty) and while we were there 2 days our place in Gardiner hit -21 with wind and subzero max.  Had the power gone away shortly after we headed west, we could easily have been facing a 5-figure repair bill - in 1994 dollars - for plumbing and water damage.

We are below avg for Dec, So i can complain.............:)

Current Dec snow here is a tick behind that ultimate torch called Dec 2015, and less than 60% of the average Dec thru the 27th.  Even with the AN Novie we're down 3" for the season.  Not terrible, of course, but not what I'd call "great" either.

Sort of like winterizing a summer home

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickondetroit.com/news/2017/03/09/how-to-prevent-your-pipes-from-freezing-when-you-have-no-heat/%3foutputType=amp