Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, MD Snow said:

It’s hard to ignore the warming trend across all guidance over the last 24 hrs. If that trend doesn’t stop today there is no reason to think that many in this sub will see mainly rain. Sunday night-Tuesday. 

It isn't as simple as just looking at a warming trend on the models. First off I would probably keep my focus mostly on the temp profile from the Euro which does a better job with its finer resolution then other globals. Then you have the GFS which handles CAD setups poorly most times and the Mesos which really aren't in range at this point. So focusing on the Euro what we have seen is not so much a degradation of the CAD but of the rates. Thus we are not getting the cooling through the column from past runs. Increase those initial rates just a little and you will once again see an expansion southward of the wintry precip as we see a better response with the temp profile.

At this point I think the Euro probably has a pretty good handle on the CAD but we will get a better idea on that with the MESOs tonight and tomorrow. So assuming the Euro has the CAD profile correct it will probably come down to how much precip we see with the initial slug. For some reason the models have a hard time with WAA precip, quite often they underplay the initial WAA slug of moisture. So if that is the case here that may argue for a more wintry setup as we see a better response with the temps in the column. Another thing I would keep an eye on is where the initial impulse (sun) runs through to our south. If we see an adjustment southward of that track that will indicate the boundary is farther south as well. This means we will probably see a southward shifting of the temps, features and wintry weather as well.

At this point, gun to head, I would say the general DC area sees some accumulations from the WAA but they are riding the line where just small changes here or there can make a world of difference. I do think Baltimore north will do fairly well where I think there is a shot of seeing warning level snows around the PA line and some of the favored locals.

17 minutes ago, peribonca said:

Well the Nam has a pretty solid round one and it's definitely not North

Yeah but the snow maps have to be ignored. The conditional precip maps are showing mostly sleet/ice. I guess that’s nice to see other than just rain but it doesn’t appear to have much snow on the run to me 

1 minute ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Yeah but the snow maps have to be ignored. The conditional precip maps are showing mostly sleet/ice. I guess that’s nice to see other than just rain but it doesn’t appear to have much snow on the run to me 

What I like is that's it's trending quite a bit wetter with the axis of precipitation especially starting over Kentucky

3 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Yeah. That part is pretty abnormal. Like I said, we have really haven't seen much like this in the past for down here. It's an anomaly that will need to be further investigated to put all the pieces together. I  guidance will adjust with the SOI and MJO progression and dampen the SE ridge over the next week, but some remnant version will stick in place is my feeling. We're kind of in a tough spot here because spring is approaching and we've missed on multiple good rain chances to our north. That's going to put us in a rare spot where a slight positive ENSO might exhibit an average to above average Fire Wx season. Trough along the PAC coast doesn't want to help us at all outside of some wind. 

That’s been my story and I’m sticking too, but would like to see more signs guidance is moving that way.

good luck with the precip, that problem would Far eclipse our petty snow issues!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Improvement on GFS but it's all still getting washed away by the deluge after it flips. Need significant improvement over next 48 hours.

If you are hoping for a scenario where there isn't rain afterwards and possibly a good bit of it you are probably out of luck. We are going to see rain, I think that's pretty much a given at this point. It is just a matter how much snow/frozen we can get before hand.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

If you are hoping for a scenario where there isn't rain afterwards and possibly a good bit of it you are probably out of luck. We are going to see rain, I think that's pretty much a given at this point. It is just a matter how much snow/frozen we can get before hand.

I think most would accept rain...but they want a scenario where there is snow on the ground when the storm ends. There is a huge difference between 1-3” followed by 1” of 40 degree rain and 4-5” followed by freezing rain and then some light rain and 34 degrees. One ends with soggy grass and one ends with a nice thick 2-3” glacier. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I think most would accept rain...but they want a scenario where there is snow on the ground when the storm ends. There is a huge difference between 1-3” followed by 1” of 40 degree rain and 4-5” followed by freezing rain and then some light rain and 34 degrees. One ends with soggy grass and one ends with a nice thick 2-3” glacier. 

I know I'm ending up with wet grass. Only question is can I get a couple inches of frozen beforehand to get my snow total to double digits. That would represent a move from pathetic to just paltry.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I know I'm ending up with wet grass. Only question is can I get a couple inches of frozen beforehand to get my snow total to double digits. That would represent a move from pathetic to just paltry.

Yea I’ll get there tomorrow but I’m not yet to the point of “lowered expectations” lol 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea I’ll get there tomorrow but I’m not yet to the point of “lowered expectations” lol 

Just about every model is kind to you isn't it? I'm in more of a could be ok could be nothing spot I think. I can definitely see 2-3" of snow here followed by freezing rain then cold rain. I think I watch my snow melt because its 50 on Wednesday not the rain 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic