Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We still have strong warmth progged even in the 11-15 day at 50mb on the EPS. So thermal wind arguments alone say easterlies. 10mb starting to cool, but par for the course I think. Hopefully some of those products that show downwelling start to occur later this month.

I’m gathering that January looks pretty ugly for the foreseeable future . Like puke

Just now, 512high said:

Scott, with that said, can we sneak events in under those conditions ? or will they result in the same old we have been getting here in southern parts etc?

Ur in ASH, no?

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We still have strong warmth progged even in the 11-15 day at 50mb on the EPS. So thermal wind arguments alone say easterlies. 10mb starting to cool, but par for the course I think. Hopefully some of those products that show downwelling start to occur later this month.

GEFS show a textbook evolution to a better pattern.  May be rushed but IMHO its just a matter of time. We have heard all the arguments about winter being 2 weeks  away. You had an exceptional feel for the pattern flip in Dec. Great call man. 

download (3).png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 512high said:

Scott, with that said, can we sneak events in under those conditions ? or will they result in the same old we have been getting here in southern parts etc?

You can always sneak events in. It’s just a matter of how the pattern cooperates. I think Will mentioned earlier how Jan 2005 had a crappy look and we kept sneaking in 3-6” events before the big blizzard. If the ridging our west would just beef up a tad, that’s all it would take. We are entering a period where climo gets into our best favorable time and it doesn’t take much. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

GEFS show a textbook evolution to a better pattern.  May be rushed but IMHO its just a matter of time. We have heard all the arguments about winter being 2 weeks  away. You had an exceptional feel for the pattern flip in Dec. Great call man. 

download (3).png

Thanks but 1/7 may be too soon. Probably have to wait longer. I’m hoping it does flip...I think Ray’s timeline looks decent. I think most other mets, (Tip, Will etc) had a good feel for December too. Sorry if I got a little cranky with some, but sometimes we don’t like to hear it. I just call it as I see it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

download (3).png

I can wait until everyone stops wondering whether or not the pattern flips, and begins to wonder whether its 1' or 2'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Thanks but 1/7 may be too soon. Probably have to wait longer. I’m hoping it does flip...I think Ray’s timeline looks decent. I think most other mets, (Tip, Will etc) had a good feel for December too. Sorry if I got a little cranky with some, but sometimes we don’t like to hear it. I just call it as I see it.

Yea thats the 16th shown seems better

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

download (3).png

If it's rushed by the 16th, then when?  20th, 30th?  February?  I'll root for a ratter if I go into the last week of January with less then 10" of snow and <4" for MET winter.

16 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

If it's rushed by the 16th, then when?  20th, 30th?  February?  I'll root for a ratter if I go into the last week of January with less then 10" of snow and <4" for MET winter.

Lol I could cut and paste this same post of yours from so many years. Good luck with your ratter again. Posts like this were predicted better than the weather.  Happy New year

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

LolI could cut and paste this same post of yours from so many years. Good luck with your ratter again. Posts like this were predicted better than the weather.  Happy New year

OK.  And good luck with your above normal snowfall.  It's been a boring season for Winter weather,  I'm enjoying the nice weather and want it to continue at this point.  It's been 47 days since my last accumulating snow and if we go into the end of January continuing that, I'd be 2 months between snowstorms.  I'd be fine with it not snowing again at that point.   Boring snow season.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

OK.  And good luck with your above normal snowfall.  It's been a boring season for Winter weather,  I'm enjoying the nice weather and want it to continue at this point.  It's been 47 days since my last accumulating snow and if we go into the end of January continuing that, I'd be 2 months between snowstorms.  I'd be fine with it not snowing again at that point.   Boring snow season.  

It has been boring but it's still very early. Majority of winter forecasts had a pattern change by mid January. 

We shall see

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I can wait until everyone stops wondering whether or not the pattern flips, and begins to wonder whether its 1' or 2'.

Haha right.  The forum won't be fun until that point.  

But then there better be multiple big bombs for this crowd as no one is going to feel vindicated waiting till Feb 1st for a 15" event if there aren't more behind it.  If it turns into a one-event wonder this place will go downhill more than it is now.

... in the meantime, let's give the warm/fair weather enthusiasts their props -

Today is one insane d-sloper dandy.  Absolutely stunning out there ... This is a typical post the lead side chill scoured out by cyclone mechanics.  The backside CAA is lagged ...which is then augmented further by kadabatic warming flow.  When it clears like this with full sun ...even in the solar nadir time of years this can overperform and really polish gem afternoons.

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Today is one insane d-sloper dandy.  Absolutely stunning out there ... This is a typical occurrence post a strong thermal ridge and the lead side chill is scoured out by cyclone mechanics.  The backside CAA is lagged ...which is then augmented further by kadabatic warming flow.  When it clears like this with full sun ...even in the solar nadir time of years this can overperform and really polish gem afternoons.

Just back from a 3 mike walk.  It is beautiful outside though the wind is roaring suggesting that tonight may be slap in the face cold.

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Today is one insane d-sloper dandy.  Absolutely stunning out there ... This is a typical occurrence post a strong thermal ridge and the lead side chill is scoured out by cyclone mechanics.  The backside CAA is lagged ...which is then augmented further by kadabatic warming flow.  When it clears like this with full sun ...even in the solar nadir time of years this can overperform and really polish gem afternoons.

Sounds nice.  32F and dropping up here with fierce cold winds as the yard solidifies into yet another white mass that cannot be described as snow.   I think I could ice skate across the pack this evening.

8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

It has been boring but it's still very early. Majority of winter forecasts had a pattern change by mid January. 

We shall see

And many called for a pattern change by mid-late December. 

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Same spot its been since November.

In your Winter Outlook, sure.  Waiting till mid-late January for "Winter" to start is boring.  By mid-late February, I'm on to Spring.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sounds nice.  32F and dropping up here with fierce cold winds as the yard solidifies into yet another white mass that cannot be described as snow.   I think I could ice skate across the pack this evening.

oh the cold is comin'  ... in so much as it will...

It's really a 50s to 30s version because of the baser canvased above normal pattern ...  as opposed to perhaps where this would more typically be 40 to 20.  

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic