• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    diviningweather
    Newest Member
    diviningweather
Amos83

December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Well Mr Sun is trying to come out here. The plows have virtually made it impossible to get on and off secondary roads. Even without the plows ,snow is so deep youll drag if your not way up off ground. These 12 inch snows are a whole nother animal. Wait till we dip in the teens tonight. So much water in this snow it will freeze solid all the way through tommorow. You can still move it around today even though its wet and heavy. Great Storm. Be ready for the next one after we get back from the bowl game this weekend.

52 minutes ago, tazaroo said:

picked up 2 inches here this morning NE Randolph couny. Awesome big flakes for awhile.  winding down now.

Congrats. We just got dusted over here. Already called school off for tommorow. Be suprised if they make it back any this week.

What a total fringe job this whole deal turned out to be  :raining:

I consider it pay back for last year when we had the sandhills special... I knew I'd pay dearly for that one and here it is. 33 and rain for 2 days lol.

Definitely not sweating it though, I'll get mine this winter without a doubt ;)

How much has compacted/washed away for you North Raleigh/Durham folks? Congrats, and stay safe on the roads once the refreezes start. I think the next two mornings will be the most dangerous part of the storm for you guys, and others.

1 hour ago, PackGrad05 said:

I can't wait to see the official snowfall map for this system and see the cutoff for zilch a mile from my house.

My stepson and his family live near you.  He just sent a video expressing his dissapointment at missing out on this storm.  He's got a eighteen month old girl who he was dying to get out and play in the snow with.  It's funny how just a few miles can make a world of difference between rain and snow but that's winter weather in the TarHeel state.  Odds are you will get in on the action later on in the Winter season.

5 hours ago, WeatherNC said:

Picked up about 3" of trailing vort bonus snow and still coming down at a good clip.  We had a couple hours of freezing drizzle yesterday evening and that coated the trees, really helping this wetter snow stick to everything.  Yardstick on the deck is at 20".

I am sure you have already posted this, but what was the final total up there? Hoping you ended up in a great spot! 

We finished off with 14 inches of snowfall/sleet IMBY.  There were light snow showers interspersed with drizzle this morning, but nothing that amounted to much.  The temp rose above freezing around 5 PM last evening, and it has yet to fall back below.  It has made light work for the plows, not having to fight the frozen tundra.  The back deck has diminished to 9 inches due to melting and sublimation.  Tonight should be a hard freeze, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowDeac said:

How much has compacted/washed away for you North Raleigh/Durham folks? Congrats, and stay safe on the roads once the refreezes start. I think the next two mornings will be the most dangerous part of the storm for you guys, and others.

Yards and neighborhood roads still buried in E Durham, but we got snow literally all morning. 

1 hour ago, SnowDeac said:

The rain yesterday didn’t help much. We had 9” but we only had about 4” when it stopped.  We got another inch this morning though so that helped some.

1 hour ago, snowinnc said:

Just measured again and we picked up another inch so that brings us to 10” total.  I seriously am still in shock!

I'm shocked too.  I'm near Fuquay and we had a 2-day total of 1".  Nothing this morning!

35 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

I'm shocked too.  I'm near Fuquay and we had a 2-day total of 1".  Nothing this morning!

Honestly if I could give you half of what we have I would!  I hate seeing other Wake County residents get nothing...even state fans!!!

Wow what an awesome storm for the south. Jealous we didn't get anything here in the northeast but I'm glad most of you saw a MECS.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rankin5150 said:

I am sure you have already posted this, but what was the final total up there? Hoping you ended up in a great spot! 

20" was the measurement this morning after the back-end bonus stopped.  We had 18-19" yesterday and picked up another 4" this morning.  With compaction 20" was the most uniform measurement.  Back safely in Greenville, 421-40 were not bad, primary hazard is idiots driving with mini icebergs on their cars.

DuBWzDNW0AE6tfH.thumb.jpg.413cef4a99b15e4b0d0611733cc03cde.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Any Atlanta/Athens folks gonna see a burst of snow here? Radar looks pretty juicy, but unsure on temps.

Local Mets saying future radar shows snow in the Upstate tonight around 9:00. Temps need to drop drastically for that to happen.