Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Amos83

52 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Yeah, not going to happen. Not sure about column temps but surface is 37 here. Looks like a pretty big batch so could be a few inches if all snow, but I think all its gonna do is wash away the little remaining snow.:cry:

Have some snow mixing in with the rain here currently and 36.5.....after a high of 42. Despite being totally saturated and having drizzle/heavy mist all day...Temp dropped 4 degrees in about an hour after the sun set and the precip that is originating upstairs actually started falling.  Temps at 950mb to the surface are as marginal as they can get here so doubt it does any more than this before it ends  but  I think a full changeover is possible over toward greenwood/columbia since it's slightly colder there just off the ground per 3km nam and hrrr (if it lasts long enough).  Been watching it all day but was scared to say anything out of jinxing it lol....sad. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Wow, checked radar again and that's it for me. It went from east to south on a dime. Some one could definitely score later tonight...won't be us though. This just wasn't our storm, but hopefully we'll get something a little better later on.

Yea this one was a tough one to watch..glad I wasnt shut out completely but virtually no frozen stuff left..and its pouring

As of 915 PM Monday...

Yet another shortwave disturbance rotating through the base of the 
mid/upper trough in place across the SE US will bring one last 
brief bout of wintry precipitation to NC Sandhills and southern
coastal plain counties over the next 3 to 5 hours. 

Radar returns have really blossomed, within the developing mid-level 
deformation band setting across SE portions of the area. Snow is 
also now being reported by several metar sites in the area, along 
with a handful of public reports. Though it will brief, forcing will 
sufficiently strong to produce liquid equivalent amounts ranging 
from a few hundredths to a tenth of an inch, the highest amounts 
across Sampson, Wayne, and far eastern Cumberland counties through 
06z. Using a 5/6:1 snow liquid ratio, could see a stripe of a 
quarter(dusting) to half an inch of snow across those far SE 
counties. Shortly after 06z, precip will start to push east, and out 
of the area, as impressive low-level dry air advection spreads in 
from the west. 

For the remainder of the forecast area, cannot rule out flurries as 
far as west as Wake County, otherwise expect NW to SE clearing late 
tonight. 
  • Thanks 1

Well now that it is officially over, I ended up with 3.32 in qpf total. Problem is the overwhelming majority of it was rain or sleet. This may be as close as I have come before on hitting the big one, a degree or so at the surface and a degree or so aloft and I’d be measuring in feet. All in all was a fun one to track though. 

@Orangeburgwx, this round, ULL,  petered out before it got here.. It did look promising.. 

My daughter, in Tabor City-Whiteville, did get a slight dusting..

Moister just, "ran out" before it got too my Local..  Maybe on the GFS-FV3 you can start that for the Dec 25th..(hinting,,  looks exciting)!   

Capture.JPG

20 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Just got into work. Roads definitely icy. I really should have waited a couple more hours. Main roads are fine. Just have to watch out for the runoff that refroze last night. 

I work 9 miles from my house, both places are in southern wake and roads were dry and fine.

I know it is a different story across the county.   I wonder if we will have a similar situation on Wednesday morning?

1 hour ago, PackGrad05 said:

I work 9 miles from my house, both places are in southern wake and roads were dry and fine.

I know it is a different story across the county.   I wonder if we will have a similar situation on Wednesday morning?

Could be just as bad. We'll get a lot of melting today, and then temps may get into the upper teens overnight. So as soon as the sun goes down it should be below freezing and any wet pavement will turn icy fast. 

• jburns unpinned this topic
On 12/10/2018 at 4:42 PM, NCSNOW said:

Mount Mitchell had 34 inches from the storm. Think Boone was 21 officially. Both need to be confirmed. Amazing storm. I could get use to white ground 3 months out of the year.

Had 21-23" here in Todd...from measurements in various places...field, driveway, deck, etcetera.  Sitting at 30 degrees now...clear and cold with some winds