Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, WesternFringe said:

Enough roads in my county (after getting 12") have not been plowed sufficiently so as to deem the roads safe for travel with buses.  If Wonderdog were in charge, we would be in school on Thursday instead of out.  If only we had his leadership, some of the school system could be open tomorrow.

I was referring to Fairfax County when I gave that opinion, where 4-5 inches fell. And yes, things would be different if I were in charge., but alas I am not.

13 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

13.7" grand total 

nice! you guys did well up there, same with PSU, Highstakes and Showme. I never got under any good prolonged bands yesterday, but I am happy with double digits. Almost at climo, so I'll take it :) 

Compaction was fierce at my location. My usual measuring area was bombarded with heavy snow blobs from high trees. Smashed it down to about 4". So went to the other side of the house for the best measure of 6". If someone suggests more, it might be a fair arguement.
P.S. I was turning into a snow weenie; carrying around a ruler in my pocket while I shoveled walks and cleared off cars; searching for truth. Ugh.

All roads around Burke (including county and residential roads) were completely snow- and ice-free as of 6:30 am. Didn't notice any icy sidewalks in my neighborhood, either. I fully expect to see plenty of bare spots on lawns by the end of the day today given temps in the 40s and plenty of sun. Won't be sad to see it go!

...Montgomery County...
   Clarksburg 2 SE        6.3   930 PM  3/21  Public
Takoma Park  6.0   153 PM  3/21  Trained Spotter
   Rockville 3 NNW        5.9   530 PM  3/21  NWS Employee
   Olney 1 SE             5.5   745 PM  3/21  CoCoRaHS
   Damascus 3 SSW         5.3   422 PM  3/21  Co-Op Observer
   White Oak 1 W          5.3   413 PM  3/21  Trained Spotter
   Norbeck 2 W            5.2  1249 PM  3/21  NWS Employee
   Norbeck 1 ESE          4.6   200 PM  3/21  Trained Spotter
   Takoma Park 1 ESE      4.5   115 PM  3/21  Trained Spotter
   Ednor 1 WNW            4.4   215 PM  3/21  Trained Spotter
   Poolesville            4.0   340 PM  3/21  Co-Op Observer
   Four Corners 1 N       3.8  1245 PM  3/21  Trained Spotter
   Montgomery Village 1   3.7   943 PM  3/21  1.19" LIQUID
   Spencerville  WSW      3.5   808 PM  3/21  Trained Spotter
   Four Corners 2 NW      3.3   345 PM  3/21  Trained Spotter
   Montgomery Village 1   3.3   300 PM  3/21  CoCoRaHS
   Montgomery Village 1   2.9   500 PM  3/21  Trained Spotter

Not so sure about that Takoma Park measurement.  My snow depth never exceeded 4 inches, although I guess if I had used a snowboard and wiped it it's possible I could've measured 6. 

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Thanks for posting that map!  When zoomed in, it clearly shows the Germantown snow hole which is quite common, due to higher elevations from W all the way around to NE.  It also frequently kills thunderstorms which re-form once they get east.  You should see the hole from Jan 2000 -- I got 7" with 14-17" west and 15-20 east.  The ironic part is I moved up here from Calvert to get better snow.  Fail!  Except for a few rare instances.  We got about 3.5 total.

As of December, I will be up to 35 months since the last warning criteria snow.

Thanks for posting that map!  It clearly shows the Germantown snow hole which is quite common, due to higher elevations from W all the way around to NE.  It also frequently kills thunderstorms which re-form once they get east.  You should see the hole from Jan 2000 -- I got 7" with 14-17" west and 15-20 east.  The ironic part is I moved up here from Calvert to get better snow.  Fail!  Except for a few rare instances.  We got about 3.5 total.
As of December, I will be up to 35 months since the last warning criteria snow.
There are plenty of times that Germantown gets the snow and thunderstorm and others don't

46 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

So does the Gaithersburg one. It’s the only shade of 3-4 inch light blue north of DC when you open the map in high res lol!

Hey there:  I was going to mention this to you (see my other comment on the snow map).  Despite being well N&W of DC, our area frequently gets low amounts due to the terrain nearby.  We are more like inside the Beltway snow-wise than places like Frederick, despite being halfway between or even closer to Frederick.  I moved here from Calvert in 1994.  Yes there have been times when it paid off, but more times than not it is a bad spot.  Another thing I've noticed in snow-to-rain events -- we flip almost simultaneously with DC while areas just north stay snow for way longer.  In events like round one on Tuesday, the rain/snow line seems to be draped just north of us.

13 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Nws spotter who lives  1 mile from my house at about the same elevation report 13.5 at 4 p.m. yesterday. We picked up at least a half inch after that until it shut off at 7:30. Then we got another inch with the band dropping down from Pennsylvania. Going with 15 for final total.

I have two co-workers who live near there.  One of them is a spotter so it's probably him.

Archived