• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews

March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

EJ was right on. Heavy band moved through and just light rain behind it.

Impossible.  Trix said I'm always wrong.

Interesting to note in the last few frames, the CC shows the sleet line collapsing south towards Germantown and Laytonsville while it's moving east from I-81.  JYO and GAI down to 32 with the latest ASOS update.

• Like 1

holding steady at 34/34 in College Park/Hyattsville. Drove to work (CP) and the car read 35 degrees, walked in to the building in driving moderate rain, large drops. Steady breeze out of the north.

Back to rain.  :(

Looks like we only snow/sleet during heavy rates.  Snow just to our NNW; just too far south.  Intermittent light/heavier rates not gonna get it done here today.  If that doesn't change to a heavier, more consistent precip shield then I'm going to end up disappointed (but not surprised).

4 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

That's what I'm seeing too. You're not terribly far from me. heavy precip = sleet, light = periods of freezing rain accums.

Yeah. Hoping it switches to all sleet soon. I already have accretion in the branches in my yard.

Google maps traffic layer shows roads are already caving in Frederick, Shenandoah Valley, etc.  That's not rush hour traffic. Drive safe out there!  9:10AM screenshot.

image.thumb.png.5a075253bc3db55ca052f90b9815273c.png

25 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Strong north wind down in DC.  Rain

Noticed the flag shift too at the Naval Observatory.  

Just now, NovaTarHeel said:

I know this gets asked every storm thread, but do any of you have a link to a solid radar that accurately (as possible) shows the sleet/snow/rain line?

I have http://www.marylandwx.com/radar-data/ bookmarked, but I don't know the accuracy of it.  Thanks!

Use this link (http://www.marylandwx.com/radar/klwxstate_br.php) and select "Correlation Coefficient 0.5" from the drop down menu.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cae said:

Just brought the kids to school in a heavy sleet storm.  It's already piling up on my lawn and deck.  33.3 degrees.

You and me both. It's been heavy sleet pretty much all morning here in Towson, with a few white missiles mixing in when rates pick up.

9 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Impossible.  Trix said I'm always wrong.

Interesting to note in the last few frames, the CC shows the sleet line collapsing south towards Germantown and Laytonsville while it's moving east from I-81.  JYO and GAI down to 32 with the latest ASOS update.

yea you can see the mix line surrounding  DC it is starting to move east maybe now  

CC radar shows the mix line right along i70. Sleet mixing back in here in Columbia. Reports of snow accumulation already around mt airy. 

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

CC radar shows the mix line right along i70. Sleet mixing back in here in Columbia. Reports of snow accumulation already around mt airy. 

Multiple wrecks on I-70, MD 26, MD 94 and MD 550 (Thurmont).  That's a good indication the roads up there are giving up fast.

flips back and forth from sleet to snow at work. 

32/21 at home, with snow per the traffic camera south of my house at 83/York road. 

35 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Freezing rain in Gaithersburg. Got icecicles on all of the trees.

Thanks for this ob -- I saw 32 degrees at Gaithersburg on Mesonet and wasn't sure if that was right.  You confirmed it.

My MARC train ride home from DC this evening might be fun.  I remember the Jan 2011 event going from just rain in DC to heavy sleet by Rockville to heavy snow and about 4" on the ground by the time I got home to Germantown.