Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NovaTarHeel said:

I know this gets asked every storm thread, but do any of you have a link to a solid radar that accurately (as possible) shows the sleet/snow/rain line?

I have http://www.marylandwx.com/radar-data/ bookmarked, but I don't know the accuracy of it.  Thanks!

Use this link (http://www.marylandwx.com/radar/klwxstate_br.php) and select "Correlation Coefficient 0.5" from the drop down menu.  

18 minutes ago, cae said:

Just brought the kids to school in a heavy sleet storm.  It's already piling up on my lawn and deck.  33.3 degrees.

You and me both. It's been heavy sleet pretty much all morning here in Towson, with a few white missiles mixing in when rates pick up.

9 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Impossible.  Trix said I'm always wrong.

Interesting to note in the last few frames, the CC shows the sleet line collapsing south towards Germantown and Laytonsville while it's moving east from I-81.  JYO and GAI down to 32 with the latest ASOS update.

yea you can see the mix line surrounding  DC it is starting to move east maybe now  

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

CC radar shows the mix line right along i70. Sleet mixing back in here in Columbia. Reports of snow accumulation already around mt airy. 

Multiple wrecks on I-70, MD 26, MD 94 and MD 550 (Thurmont).  That's a good indication the roads up there are giving up fast.

35 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Freezing rain in Gaithersburg. Got icecicles on all of the trees.

Thanks for this ob -- I saw 32 degrees at Gaithersburg on Mesonet and wasn't sure if that was right.  You confirmed it.

My MARC train ride home from DC this evening might be fun.  I remember the Jan 2011 event going from just rain in DC to heavy sleet by Rockville to heavy snow and about 4" on the ground by the time I got home to Germantown.

2 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Thanks for this ob -- I saw 32 degrees at Gaithersburg on Mesonet and wasn't sure if that was right.  You confirmed it.

My MARC train ride home from DC this evening might be fun.  I remember the Jan 2011 event going from just rain in DC to heavy sleet by Rockville to heavy snow and about 4" on the ground by the time I got home to Germantown.

Wasn't really expecting freezing rain. Lots of people on the boards yesterday were talking about how the threat was minimal, but it looks like my main threat until this sleet line hits, which is taking its sweet time, is ice accumulation.

Archived