Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

NAM rips gusts to 60mph inland. Gonna be wild with the snow flying and plastering to everything tomorrow afternoon/night 

Hn214ia.jpg

Um... I'm a bit skeptical about winds blowing that high inland NH and Mass...

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WxBlue said:

Um... I'm a bit skeptical about winds blowing that high inland NH and Mass...

Yep. Always take the under. Hurricane Andrew could be rumbling up the Merrimack and I'd take the under on winds in ASH. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Euro gonna bring us all back to reality as we come off the NAM high lol....at least out West of the River anyway.  The Euro is gonna be a disappoitment for most if I had to guess...just my gut feeling.  

It is more than just the nam high. I dont like your spot though. I think its route 8 and west for the cooler column. 

I have no idea what the euro will do, speculating is just gobblydeegook. 

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Euro gonna bring us all back to reality as we come off the NAM high lol....at least out West of the River anyway.  The Euro is gonna be a disappoitment for most if I had to guess...just my gut feeling.  

I agree. Tossing all models that don't show snow is how we've run this event.....hence why the NWS isn't showing much snow because they know better.  

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Yep. Always take the under. Hurricane Andrew could be rumbling up the Merrimack and I'd take the under on winds in ASH. 

Way under simply because of our terrain... and the fact we're apparently higher than Cape Cod on this map. I'm expecting gusts up to 50 mph around here personally.

6 minutes ago, friedmators said:

Did they give reasoning or just a known bias?

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Why would it be too cold? It makes sense to me. What's the alternate?GFS? LOL.

"The NAM also appears to have too much cold air in the boundary layer considering the degree of cold air initially in place, along with the fact that there will be very strong Atlantic inflow which will tend to moderate the thermal profiles in the low levels."

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

:facepalm:

I mean the 12z definitely went north of the Euro, but the overnight NAM matched the Euro pretty good and was essentially a downscaled version of the Euro.

Could the NAM be wrong? Sure, but I would bet on the low level GFS being wrong first.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

:facepalm:

I mean the 12z definitely went north of the Euro, but the overnight NAM matched the Euro pretty good and was essentially a downscaled version of the Euro.

Could the NAM be wrong? Sure, but I would bet on the low level GFS being wrong first.

They specifically were talking about 12z.

11 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

TWC is rip and reading clown maps as their official snowfall forecast 

Haven't they been doing this for a couple of years now? The "EURO" is doing this, the "GFS" is doing that... it seems like they don't want to take responsibility in their own "forecasts" anymore. If something goes wrong, they'll just blame NWP models. They have literally no forecasting value anymore because of it. Anyone can "rip and read" model output.

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

I think Central NH on North should have higher totals with this. Monadnocks could do really well also. With the further east track early on, the mid levels don't get torched. This is true for VT and North Western ME as well. I think a lot of the qpf early on could fall as snow. Thoughts?

One thing for sure.  Its a warm sunny day up here.  47F at 1100 feet.  This airmass is so warm.  Of course we are getting into spring so can have these warm days and blue bomb the next.

1 hour ago, DomNH said:

True. I guess I should preface it by saying I'd only want snow if it was double digit mashed potatoes with shotgun blasts. Anything short of that I'm all set. 

You don't really want that.  I had double-digit (barely) mashers in late Feb 2010, from 4:1 globs so wet that they couldn't accumulate even on large branches, but would splatter off onto the ground.  I didn't try, but was confident that if I'd scooped a handful of snow and tried to make a snowball, water would've streamed out thru my fingers.  Had no working snowblower, and moving that mess off the driveway was monumentally harder than clearing the 24.5" storm that came 370 days earlier.  (Also done with snowscoop, and had to push snow over tall pre-existing snowbanks for that one.)

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

When I see people post that sort of info, I also think are they speaking as currently modeled and observed? Because what may currently be observed may or may not occur downstream.

Archived