Sign in to follow this  
Baroclinic Zone

January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Going with 10'' at 2 PM but who the hell really knows. I have a 20'' drift on my deck and then spots with like 7'' but the average is ~10''

3 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Damn. This is going to be us by tomorrow. Yikes.

Prepare for the worst you have seen flooding wise. That very well may be what is coming.

My moms house is on the marsh. Water is highest she has ever seen it.

Some flooding up here in newburyport as well. Nothing like that though

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

Going with 10'' at 2 PM but who the hell really knows. I have a 20'' drift on my deck and then spots with like 7'' but the average is ~10''

Pretty much all you can do is estimate with this kind of storm.

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think we’re seeing the beginnings of a big rotting band from ORH Down thru HVN. It’s all sort of combining you can see there 

Meaning?

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah . This next 6-8 hours. We wild 

Let’s hope it’s that long!  I think maybe 3-4 hours of heavy left?

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just pics of Atlantic ave in Boston near aquarium...crazy. Sea ice thrown all into the road form the harbor.

Remember when BOX told coastal infrastructure to prepare for serious flooding? Great enhancement of wording on their part.

22 minutes ago, apm said:

I wonder why the water is so high in Boston with the wind from due North?  I could see Cape Cod Bay for sure being high. Perhaps it is (low) pressure related?

Yep Ekman Spiral FTW. Think of it like Coriolis for water. Water piles up to the right of wind direction. So north wind throws surge towards the New England coast.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

9.5"

Snow growth starting to looks like Boxing day, though

I"m with you Ray .  Just approaching 10" with much better snowfall.  I f we can keep this up for a few more hours we will do fine.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Let’s hope it’s that long!  I think maybe 3-4 hours of heavy left?

I think they meant about 6-8 for total end duration, but yah, 3-4 for the most intense snows left.

I think about 7-8" but I haven't ventured enough far enough from the door to take a good set of measurements.

9 minutes ago, skierinvermont said:

I haven't been following the obs, but judging from the radar am I wrong in thinking totals from NYC through western CT and the Berkshires may rival or exceed SE MA? Great banding and possibly better ratios?

You guys will win, but we did great. Roughly a foot here in Queens, verified blizzard despite a lack of a warning.

• Thanks 1

The city is wild right now. All I hear is sirens. Plows seem to have re routed elsewhere.
Now that you mention it I haven't heard a plow go by my house all day. I'm in Allston FWIW.

Snowgrowth improving as this band starts to rot overhead. Surprised and impressed that I'm going to pull a foot. 

9 minutes ago, skierinvermont said:

I haven't been following the obs, but judging from the radar am I wrong in thinking totals from NYC through western CT and the Berkshires may rival or exceed SE MA? Great banding and possibly better ratios?

It's been at least 2"/hr stuff for the last couple hours, visibility is down to yards, this band is rivaling my avatar! Closing in on 13" here!!

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Another pretty heavy band looks to be rotating in.... 14.5” 

Probably flip to rain.

These things always underproduce.

Meh.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Keep feeding into my parent band. Thanks.

I think I might be getting your exhaust a bit, but that's okay...build up the pack at the new house.  And maybe another heavy will back in.

I have to get out and measure again.  Crazy snow rates and snow seems pretty deep.  Will do it in the next few minutes and I’m guessing 9-10.

4 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

The city is wild right now. All I hear is sirens. Plows seem to have re routed elsewhere.

Based on the pictures, I'm really worried about all the underground infrastructure in or around the Seaport. There are numerous underground parking garages there, for example, not to mention the T stops. The one under the Seaport hotel has me particularly worried (but there's no shortage of others). Also, just wondering what it would take to get water into the harbor tunnels--I'm guessing that's better protected than those parking garages, but I don't really know.

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Another pretty heavy band looks to be rotating in.... 14.5” 

You're gonna meh your way to 18" lol 

Congrats :weenie: