Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

With how cold the ground will be, I’d expect a lot of icing still if temps only get to 33-34 Monday like the GFS and Euro show. 

That's what I was thinking.  Man, I'm tired of settling though...I'd take a nice ice event.  Everything looks promising long range and then....

Just now, stormtracker said:

That's what I was thinking.  Man, I'm tired of settling though...I'd take a nice ice event.  Everything looks promising long range and then....

Just now, stormtracker said:

i was actually excited yesterday about seeing legit ice....we are in the deepest part of the valley man and there is nothing to get us out

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We can sometimes do OK with a front end thump out here in setups like this. We seem to hold onto the cold a little better than east for some reason. You would think elevation would actually hurt in these types of events as the upper levels warm up.  There is no doubt that the upper levels will heat very quickly so it really doesnt matter. But I am so snow starved at this point I would take a slushy ice storm and call it a success.

Yes. I am hoping we can get a quick few inches before a change over to ice/rain. Been a brutal start to winter with this much cold and basically no snow.

17 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Hey, had we gotten a foot of snow with those warm temps on the way, we'd just have to watch it melt in a couple days. Seems to me we lucked out.  :ee:

That's exactly how I'm rationalizing today. I'd rather take out behind the shed and be done with it quickly. It's painful to watch something you love suffer for too long.

24 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Word.

While I hunt BIG storms my measure of a nice event is a Winter Storm Watch and then a verified Warning level snow area wide. We didn't have one of those last year, and we haven't had one yet this year, so...definitely not great from my perspective, even though it has been plenty cold.

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Many areas are at or  above climo to this point . Speaking for Md mostly . I know A lot of Central Md and east for sure . Far Western and sw  burbs not so much . I can't complain at all imby .. ive seen it snow 8 or 9 separate days ( totaling over 9" ) thus far...and a  rememberable New Years morning below 0 temp. Great start with 2 1/2 + months of winter left. 

Yup, BWI and IAD are at or above climo and today’s snow puts DCA just below.

Taking a big step back, I still see this as season 2 after our stretch of three consecutive way-above average snowfall seasons. To even have a fighting chance at median snowfall (~10” at DCA) for this season, and not immediately writing it off as two consecutive complete clunkers is already a plus for me.

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Many areas are at or  above climo to this point . Speaking for Md / DE mostly . I know A lot of Central Md and east for sure . Far Western and sw  burbs not so much . I can't complain at all imby .. ive seen it snow 8 or 9 separate days ( totaling over 9" ) thus far...and a  rememberable New Years morning below 0 temp. Great start with 2 1/2 + months of winter left. 

Most are probably at or barely above climo so far, but it's also been very cold, so you could argue we've wasted a prime opportunity. This storm is a perfect example. There for the taking but didn't work out for us. If the next couple weeks aren't great and then the mid-to-late January thaw is real, it's getting late early.

GFS sure wants to keep the streams separate and squash the southern vort. It brings up a discussion that we brought up recently...let the northern vort race out in front of the southern one so there's a bettern column to work with. Would be similar to a 13-14 event where a front clears and a wave runs up it. Unlikely but on the table. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS sure wants to keep the streams separate and squash the southern vort. It brings up a discussion that we brought up recently...let the northern vort race out in front of the southern one so there's a bettern column to work with. Would be similar to a 13-14 event where a front clears and a wave runs up it. Unlikely but on the table. 

CMC is sounding more like the Euro. Who do you take at this point, american or european?

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

CMC is sounding more like the Euro. Who do you take at this point, american or european?

It's been a weird year. Things have gotten squashed instead of amplified as leads shorten. Euro has tried to amplify things too much in the mid range. My guess is the GFS is probably more right but that's a total guess. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

"Squashed" is starting to become the word of the winter, smh 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It's been a weird year. Things have gotten squashed instead of amplified as leads shorten. Euro has tried to amplify things too much in the mid range. My guess is the GFS is probably more right but that's a total guess. 

whatever model gives us the least precip will probably work

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Whatever frozen, in any form, that falls Monday would be history come sundown Tuesday. Now this is a January thaw if I ever saw one.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=T850&runtime=2018010412&fh=144&xpos=0&ypos=306

Pretty good inversion though. Surface isn't warm at all in the east. 

8 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Whatever frozen, in any form, that falls Monday would be history come sundown Tuesday. Now this is a January thaw if I ever saw one.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=T850&runtime=2018010412&fh=144&xpos=0&ypos=306

Thats crazy. 3 days ago we were suppossed get another arctic shot.

Unreal.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Yes sir...seen this very scenerio play out a few times.  Artic outbreak followed by similar storm  setup as Mon.... with surface temps above freezing . Ground being uber cold.  A few years ago I saw 34 and fr rain accret on everything .

the Feb 2014 ice storm? 

56 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Many areas are at or  above climo to this point . Speaking for Md / DE mostly . I know A lot of Central Md and east for sure . Far Western and sw  burbs not so much . I can't complain at all imby .. ive seen it snow 8 or 9 separate days ( totaling over 9" ) thus far...and a  rememberable New Years morning below 0 temp. Great start with 2 1/2 + months of winter left. 

That is what makes our area so unique. And probably one of the toughest areas to be a met in all honesty. But yes. Those of us to the west have been screwed for two years straight at this point. That doesnt mean we wont score one of those 12 inchers while east rains later this winter. It would just be nice to have an event where everyone in our subforum is hyped up. It is a lot more fun that way. And that still might happen. There is A LOT of winter left.

56 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Your right. I should of said for western areas. I'm in Smithsburg.  Close to Hagerstown.  Has been very close to a Snow less winter up here so far. I' m at 1.0 so far for the winter. Great to see eastern areas doing good though.  Glad someone in this forum is doing well.

If anyone's curious about how the globals did for the most recent storm, I put up a gif of their forecasts in the storm thread.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50758-jan-4th-coastal-obsdisc/?do=findComment&comment=4758273

Weather.us doesn't have these plots for the RGEMs and NAMs (as far as I can tell), so it's harder to put together a similar graphic for them.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived