• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

Too early to take these kind of details verbatim, but with being on the outside looking in with tomorrow's storm... Euro is 0.50"+ of freezing rain in my yard, and temps only briefly get as high as 30 during the afternoon on Monday.  Most of the event as depicted would be with temps 26-28 here.  Precip is never real heavy, but falls steadily all day.   With the surface as frozen as it will be at the outset, that would be a major ice storm for my part of the valley.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

A lot of support for an ice storm here on Monday showing up on the EPS. Well over half and plenty of significant ones.  Control looks identical to the op. 

i should cancel winter more often. EPS shows below normal surface temps for most of the period and it gets us into the blue snow wise lol. Maybe we are still tracking up until the 15th! 

You're looking at the wrong model. 12z euro and 18z gem for Monday:
I_nw_EST_2018010312_126.png&key=8925e841bd3a3e6b45404ecce8364b3667dd8887d6c735aa680384dec3912432

And 18z GFS for next Saturday
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_37.png&key=6cfb2be116de9426ac145a2baf6780c79cc09ad5523167dccf3f5b5a1a7b49e3
I was commenting on how gfs had nothing Monday but another shot on the 13th which may be our final shot before pattern shift

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You're looking at the wrong model. 12z euro and 18z gem for Monday:

And 18z GFS for next Saturday

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_37.png

Heh!  Maybe we'll be tracking a bit more than originally thought as we get toward mid-month!  I honestly haven't looked much at the medium range recently, but the potential ice Monday certainly bears watching.  This event you show from the GFS the following Saturday...I haven't checked the upper levels, but offhand it appears that nice 1043 high is moving out ahead of the low.  But that's getting into la-la land, and it beats looking at a torch.

2 hours ago, Ji said:

Gfs says what Monday event?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

also by and large says what warm up.  after all we've been through, and still have to go through, i'll be glad to wait until next week to see where we are really headed.  Lots if model runs/indicies can change a plenty in that time.

06z GFS erodes any cold air for the next event pretty quick. Looks rainy. Then another rain event later in the run - other than that pretty dry looking. Last nights 0z CMC also has the system and bring a bit more ice but it goes over to a driving rain pretty quickly it seems. What a winter so far...

19 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

A lot of support for an ice storm here on Monday showing up on the EPS. Well over half and plenty of significant ones.  Control looks identical to the op. 

so what happened. The EPS is still showing negative 2m temp anomolies for Monday

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

7 degrees for a forecast low Sunday morning and plain rain 36 hours later? That’s a special kick in the nuts. 

Hey, had we gotten a foot of snow with those warm temps on the way, we'd just have to watch it melt in a couple days. Seems to me we lucked out.  :ee:

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

so what happened. The EPS is still showing negative 2m temp anomolies for Monday

It comes down to precip onset. EPS (and GEFS) are mixed. The solutions that get precip in here before 18z on Monday are mostly icy and the ones that start after 18z are mostly cold rain. It's an insitu-cad setup so we need precip to start before the surface warms during the day on Monday. There's still a cluster that start as snow. Hard to tell from last night's run with the current storm on the panels. Personally, I don't think snow is going to be something we track with this but there's a chance still. It's a terrible snow setup though so if there's snow south of PA consider it very lucky. 

We can sometimes do OK with a front end thump out here in setups like this. We seem to hold onto the cold a little better than east for some reason. You would think elevation would actually hurt in these types of events as the upper levels warm up.  There is no doubt that the upper levels will heat very quickly so it really doesnt matter. But I am so snow starved at this point I would take a slushy ice storm and call it a success.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived