Newest Member
    CHSVol
Saturday December 30 Snow Obs and Disco

SnowGolfBro

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mitchnick said:

I would think there aren't a lot of year round jobs in those parts.

3 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

Lol jobs in Deep Creek?

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Unless your job is tied to tourism (lake or Wisp or rental homes) or general contracting I would think it’s hard to find jobs here. Last summer was our first summer having the house and I couldn’t believe how pleasant the temperatures were - upper 70s during the day and upper 50s at night. A few occasional days in the low 80s (lol). 

No, the job was in Luke.  20 miles to Oakland or the SE side of the lake.  Ultimately, decided that the tenuous nature of jobs in the paper industry (as a whole) and that mill in particular was too great a risk to uproot my family.....despite my desperate longing to live in the Garrett Co. climate.  It was a gut-wrenching decision.  Other than the Verso mill in Luke, and Simon Pierce near Oakland, there certainly isn't much else outside of retail or tourism. 

6 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

No, the job was in Luke.  20 miles to Oakland or the SE side of the lake.  Ultimately, decided that the tenuous nature of jobs in the paper industry (as a whole) and that mill in particular was too great a risk to uproot my family.....despite my desperate longing to live in the Garrett Co. climate.  It was a gut-wrenching decision.  Other than the Verso mill in Luke, and Simon Pierce near Oakland, there certainly isn't much else outside of retail or tourism. 

You were probably aware that Verso is under bankruptcy protection.  They have also been under a lot of scrutiny for polluting the river.  Not sure if they have been sanctioned for that ?  

I haven't been there in years, but when WestVaco had the mill when I was a kid there were days you couldn't visit the town of Luke without feeling sick from the smell.  Hopefully they have at least improved on that since the 70s.  Given everything, I think you made the right decision.

25 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

HRRR likes hours and hours of virga here. I would be pretty surprised to see 1/2".

Nasty dry layer in there. Hey it'll probably be snowing like hell at the top of that tower along Rt. 50 a little past 404. Nobody will notice if you climb it. I can almost guarantee you a nice flat place at the top to relax and drink beer. You can send us some pics too. Careful with that first step on the way down though. :yikes:

6 minutes ago, Negnao said:

Time to watch the radar and hope to get lucky. Last few runs of the high res stuff didn't look too good. 

Its going to be a close call for DC to BWI, but probably should see a solid coating.

I honestly have had no expectations for here since the Euro lost the nice vort tracking through southern VA a few days ago. Totally lost interest after that. Weak sauce clippers tracking north and redeveloping well off the coast are mighty dry on the south/east side.

9 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I already know I’m gonna wake up to nothing so I might as well hope everyone else gets screwed.

According to the Reaper I’m dead so I might as well bring everyone down with me....

...on that note the 3k is also garbage for everyone.

Good night.

Ok. This is a free for all thread now. Good to know....

13 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I already know I’m gonna wake up to nothing so I might as well hope everyone else gets screwed.

According to the Reaper I’m dead so I might as well bring everyone down with me....

...on that note the 3k is also garbage for everyone.

Good night.

Chin up lad. No one is getting very much from this "event". The best is yet to come. It's a bit frustrating to have all this cold and minimal prospects for snow, but it looks like the general pattern going forward will become more conducive for bigger storms, with the more typical p-type issues. Always trade-offs in this region.

Ok. This is a free for all thread now. Good to know....

Yeah sorry. That post was garbage. Feel free to delete. Point is that things haven’t improved.

IMO the issue we always forget until the last moment is dry air. Seems to be the last-second killer. I wonder how the short-range models predict the DP 24hrs out vs 6.

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

You were probably aware that Verso is under bankruptcy protection.  They have also been under a lot of scrutiny for polluting the river.  Not sure if they have been sanctioned for that ?  

I haven't been there in years, but when WestVaco had the mill when I was a kid there were days you couldn't visit the town of Luke without feeling sick from the smell.  Hopefully they have at least improved on that since the 70s.  Given everything, I think you made the right decision.

Yep, well aware.  They were one our customers at my old company.  Paper mills are pretty foul places.  Too bad, because there would/will be little left of that area if/when that mill shuts down.  Fortunately, found another job locally that paid even more than the offer from Verso.  Somehow, even managed to shorten my commute from here to Middletown. LOL.  Avoided the hassle of moving, especially now that the oldest has started Kindergarten, but I'm left living in the desert.

Chin up lad. No one is getting very much from this "event". The best is yet to come. It's a bit frustrating to have all this cold and minimal prospects for snow, but it looks like the general pattern going forward will become more conducive for bigger storms, with the more typical p-type issues. Always trade-offs in this region.

Yeah, I agree with you. Better times ahead. Some of our most typical largerstorms always have ptype issues. We've got so much winter ahead of us, and there's always gonna be a bust or 2 along the way, just as there are reverse busts.

12 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah, I agree with you. Better times ahead. Some of our most typical largerstorms always have ptype issues. We've got so much winter ahead of us, and there's always gonna be a bust or 2 along the way, just as there are reverse busts.

Few and far between, lol.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived