Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

Just now, snowman19 said:

I was going to ask just that but if memory serves me correct, pretty much every major I-95 December snowstorm south of sourthern New England had unmodified arctic air in place before the storm correct? 

Well I suppose it's how you define modified....I look at it as needing a cold airmass in place with a good high to the north. It does not need to be bitter..but sufficient. No retreating high nonsense.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Anything beats the Bermuda-esque Decembers we've had recently. I think Scooter had parrots at his bird feeder in recent Christmases.

That would be 2015, when the NYC minimum on 12/24 was 22F milder than their normal max for the date.  (12/25 min was only 16F milder.)  Palm tree climo; I think their +32.5 on 12/24 is their greatest ever positive departure, for any date.

In my area, we've been about 50-50 in recent Decembers, though 1-10 or so have been pretty poor since 2007.  Last Dec was great, BN temps and 40" (less 0.1") snow, 2015 a disaster of epic proportion, 2014 with near avg snow and +3 temp, 2013 my coldest of 19 with 31", 2012 slightly AN temps with 30".  Then some dogs 09-11 (though 12/09 was all the "winter" we got that season.)  Latitude can be nice early and late, though the past two Aprils have run contrary to that.

3 hours ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Looks like us and Western Europe while Siberia cooks (relative to normal, probably gets up to 0F someplace there during this heat wave). Fascinating. Hope it holds on for a solid six weeks with frequent snow.... kinda like Feb 2015 Reprise. 

A week ago it was -65 F in Siberia, lol.

I had poor reception all day-at a meeting-went to my car to charge up at 2 and correctly predicted who would say what other than Brett who posted positive vibes...lol.  As Kevin said a few days ago-that look is snow and lots of it!  

On one of the waiting room TVs I caught some Boston OCM saying pattern supports cold and snow after the next 7 days.  

And finally-it’s coming!

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

its coming dude, put your nickles and dimes back in ur pocket, take out the Benjamins

I'm excited...but kind of evolved to the point of "wake me when we have a viable threat inside of day 5"...

I think we wait until at least the holidays for a big dog.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It looks at velocity potential at 200mb from the EC since that is usually the better metric to gauge the MJO. As far as what else it looks at..I can't exactly describe it. :lol: 

yeah .. fair enough.  the marine subcontinent is going crazy ...it's far and away more conducive to the part of the wave/phase spaces the align the AB Pacific...which, low and behold, the WPO is decided to flip phases to negative out there in about a week - it's been building hints and frets and starts at doing so for the last several days and finally committed more fully to doing so as of last night.  CPC hasn't updated their web source in days (dheads..)

...We could be looking at the biggest interdimensional cross rip since the Tunguska blast of 1909! ... oh, wait - wrong movie.  Seriously though, that's getting top tier if that MJO and gang decide to crash the party... jesus

With so much northern stream action, it would be nice to get a good widespread clipper system.  It seems like its been a while since we've had a legit widespread 3-6" (~0.25" QPF) advisory clipper dropping snow across upstate NY and New England.  Would be a good way to get the vibe going in December with a nice cold clipper.

I hate to be a downer and not to bring politics into it but this thread is starting to feel like some of the AP threads leading up to last November. And yes, all of the reasonable folks have waved the caveat flag high (great patterns don’t always produce great results in your backyard)but there is stil an aura of Greenspanian irrational exuberance. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I hate to be a downer and not to bring politics into it but this thread is starting to feel like some of the AP threads leading up to last November. And yes, all of the reasonable folks have waved the caveat flag high (great patterns don’t always produce great results in your backyard)but there is stil an aura of Greenspanian irrational exuberance. 

Don't look at this as a dig but dude this pattern is money.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

December 1985 had a great pattern that didn't really produce. So I def get the mindset of "talk is cheap, show me the money".

There's been other excellent patterns that didn't produce much. But the odds are def increased in this pattern, no doubt about it.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

December 1985 had a great pattern that didn't really produce. So I def get the mindset of "talk is cheap, show me the money".

There's been other excellent patterns that didn't produce much. But the odds are def increased in this pattern, no doubt about it.

85 I distinctly remember only had like a week of a decent pattern but we were at the base of the trough. 

Screenshot_20171130-202547.png

40 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

I have good reason to worry it's called "reasonable worry" though. Let's face it we have been burned many times before and it has left us very disappointed. I don't want to give my hopes up. 

lol, it’s called “obsessive paranoia”. You know how many times I’ve been burned on 2ft storms inside 24hr, eventual busts? That still doesn’t deter me from being excited over a upper air look that oozes potential. Past failures suck, but they don’t dictate what happens now. 

If you had a bad relationship or a bad breakup, and you obsess and can’t get over it, then you’re missing out when someone great comes along. Let go, move on. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Don't look at this as a dig but dude this pattern is money.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh, I get it and I would much rather be staring at pattern that offers great potential than one that features a perma pig in AK or an immovable SE ridge. I’ve also bought three new snowmobiles in the last 11 months and desparately want to feel like I didn’t completely piss my money away :lol:

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

it was a pretty good pattern.  You'd think a month like this would have produced.  It's actually seems to be the number one analog on the CPC on the 6-10 and 8-14 days. 

dec. 85.png

You know CPC analogs are all Pacific based.I have more and more used EPS and CIPS which encompass the whole NH. 85 was great for a week 

Product Interpretation: The link on the top of the page to the top 10 analog dates in text format lists the top analogs found between 1950 and 2010 which correspond to todays official 500-HPA outlook. The analog dates selected are those with the highest correlation with the official 500-HPA outlook over the PNA region. 

Archived