Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

dates of other manitoba maulers:   1/27/11, 2/7-8/13 and 1/22/05

1/22/05...yes....the other two were not, however. 2013 had some legit southern stream interaction and 2011 was kind of a bowling ball going across the south-central US.

Feb '78 though was actually a mauler.

Anyways, a mauler is def one oft he types of storms we could get out of this pattern...you want an amplified PNA ridge for them.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like there's so much volatility in that pattern with all that extreme gradient that just about any gnat's wing beat in the flow is careening 1-10" events over head.

And I don't believe any of it...  It's too volatile - hypersensitive to perturbation in the flow with (probably) odd feed-back propagators and false interactions therein... 

...Ironically, I'd almost be more interested in the one diving down the high Plains D10 before anything that's ripping through that antecedent, planetary maelstrom.   

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Scoots boss agrees . This baby is fooking locked in

I will say, those analogs pointed to this upcoming pattern....well at least hinted at it. I didn't quite believe them since they failed before...but they got this right. That's all Mike Vs stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. 

And LOL...you think I have about 5 bosses.

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'd like to know what MJO prog he's basing that on....  The MJO is in fact progged in the GEFs to be antithetic ...but, I could be wrong - certainly not something one want's be bludgeoned for... 

Is he talking about a longer lead ... ?  perhaps they have a week 2.5- 4 MJO ?? 

EDIT: Actually .... looks like the MJO source is two day old - perhaps there's been sweeping changes ?

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I will say, those analogs pointed to this upcoming pattern....well at least hinted at it. I didn't quite believe them since they failed before...but they got this right. That's all Mike Vs stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. 

Looks like us and Western Europe while Siberia cooks (relative to normal, probably gets up to 0F someplace there during this heat wave). Fascinating. Hope it holds on for a solid six weeks with frequent snow.... kinda like Feb 2015 Reprise. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Even if there are not big numbers it would be quite fun to have a pre-holiday run of, let's say, several(3) 2-4" events over a 10 day period.  

Anything beats the Bermuda-esque Decembers we've had recently. I think Scooter had parrots at his bird feeder in recent Christmases.

I think we'll get some small events mixed in with this type of pattern. When you have it this amplified, you're going to get a lot of smaller vortmaxes in the flow coming out of Canada from the arctic jet.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro has an anafront snow event next Wed night/Thursday....kind of skeptical of that evolution but can't rule anything out this far out.

It's been hinting at that for a bit now, though that's more robust today.  It's had a fun runs of it over us up here, over SYR/ART, and now a bit further southeast.  Makes sense with the low level gradient that a wave rippling along might stall the forward motion enough that some precip can ride into the cold sector.

EPS trying for another go at the -NAO at the end of their run.

While the previous NAO look shown will not verify, it's important to note that the NAO region actually isn't that bad looking coming up in the D8-12 range...it's probably still mildly negative or at least neutral. It's not raging positive. So we'll have some assist there.

56 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'd like to know what MJO prog he's basing that on....  The MJO is in fact progged in the GEFs to be antithetic ...but, I could be wrong - certainly not something one want's be bludgeoned for... 

Is he talking about a longer lead ... ?  perhaps they have a week 2.5- 4 MJO ?? 

EDIT: Actually .... looks like the MJO source is two day old - perhaps there's been sweeping changes ?

It looks at velocity potential at 200mb from the EC since that is usually the better metric to gauge the MJO. As far as what else it looks at..I can't exactly describe it. :lol: 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS trying for another go at the -NAO at the end of their run.

While the previous NAO look shown will not verify, it's important to note that the NAO region actually isn't that bad looking coming up in the D8-12 range...it's probably still mildly negative or at least neutral. It's not raging positive. So we'll have some assist there.

Pseudo blocks will work too

With the trough setting up over the eastern third there is going to be a lot of lobes of vorticty in the flow out of Canada so we should be able get some reinforcing shots as well as chances at storms if we can tap into the gulf moisture at least over the next several weeks before the pattern eventually breaks down, Its a far cry from the last couple December's here in the northeast with it looking to front loaded for a change.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing.  Are you the janitor there?

The old saying in meteorology for Cape Cod residents, is that early December chances for snow decrease substantially because of the ocean being too warm, well it has cooled considerably since August now down to 48F from the top temperature reading of around 75F.  This should not be an outspoken factor when regarding snow forecasts in the future given how cold the arctic air will be in the first week of December through the end of the month.  However, once an arctic jet disturbance reaches these waters south of the Massachusetts Islands, there could be some explosive cyclogenesis 

3 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

The old saying in meteorology for Cape Cod residents, is that early December chances for snow decrease substantially because of the ocean being too warm, well it has cooled considerably since August now down to 48F from the top temperature reading of around 75F.  This should not be an outspoken factor when regarding snow forecasts in the future given how cold the arctic air will be in the first week of December through the end of the month.  However, once an arctic jet disturbance reaches these waters south of the Massachusetts Islands, there could be some explosive cyclogenesis 

We think there’s a good chance you jack with rains to start off. The ridge is more west than you’d like it.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

December is always tough on the coast unless it's a very cold antecedent airmass. I would not get too giddy about snow unless I knew it would be very cold.

I was going to ask just that but if memory serves me correct, pretty much every major I-95 December snowstorm south of sourthern New England had unmodified arctic air in place before the storm correct? 

Archived