Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It ended up being 8" in Central Park right? ;)

That was a pretty bad forecast, if you go 36" for NYC you better mean it (36" anywhere really). Ideally the forecaster forgets the last bust and continues to forecast based on the available information. 

That's one nice thing about working for the government, we aren't subject to criminal action for a bad forecast. So there is rarely any pressure put on to influence the next forecast one way or another. Now we're all subject to losing followers if we produce enough bad forecasts, that's a different story. 

I got 4” ;)

Maybe I’m the angry Jo Schmo...jk.

I know it’s not an easy profession but man has Upton failed here many many times this decade. 

26 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

If we don’t get a storm boy oh boy are y’all gonna hear some sh*t from LURKERBOY!!!!

Yeah, except you're in NYC. A Miller B, for example, can play out very differently for you compared to BOS or ORH. "We" may not be the appropriate choice. Heck, a SWFE can flip to rain down there and dump 10" on KTOL. Radically different climo compared with much of New England.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He’s not a met you know.Some of his stuff is quite weenie 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

My guess is he's most of the way there studying at NC State. I could be wrong that he's not majoring in Met, but that's what I'm going with.

He's one of my friends. Yes, he is a meteorology major at NC State and he really know his stuff with planetary scale pattern.

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m she cold will get muted some once it  arrives.  But it is impressive to look at this far out

She’s a beaut, Clark

Extreme Temperature anomalies Usually get bigger as we get closer as climo Usually is less and less Cooked into The forecast.

Now, if core of.cold transitions further west..

Than ya.

15 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Anyone have a good link archiving snowfall totals by month and year?

I used to have a great NOAA link to Boston climate data showing texts of total snow / month for every year dating back to at least 1934...  but I've scoured CDC, CPC etc and can't find it.

TIA

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=box

Go to monthly summarized data, and you can figure out which drop downs to pick from there.

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Extreme Temperature anomalies Usually get bigger as we get closer as climo Usually is less and less Cooked into The forecast.

Than ya.

I think that may be the case-and hopefully that increases our snow chances.

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Than ya.

Pike,  can you explain the climo idea and how it could be making The temp anomalies smaller/or less being its 10 days out?  

28 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Than ya.

Hmm.  I get the climo part...but not sure I agree with the first part.   I admit I could be wrong.   Any way to verify your statement?

Archived