joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First post of the season, earlier than typical for me... drawn in by this remarkable +PNA/-EPO/-NAO stage signaled on EPS / GEFS Day 10-15 and beyond. I know you've all been on this for the past week.

I'd think there's some explosive baroclinic potential in there too with those arctic blasts, though there's always the risk the best gradient blasts too far south and out to sea. Casual memory, I don't think we've had this promising a front-end "look" in years.

I'm not that paranoid about Dec 89. First, that was actually not that bad back in the interior because of the dec 15-16 storm which kind of shafted a few areas out east...we did have snow cover most of the month...though admittedly it was pretty thin for the first half. 

Secondly, we'd prob do a bit better with the same longwave pattern if we tried it again. 

Third, were prob not getting something as extreme as that month anyway. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm definitely in Ray's camp for Dec '89. No thanks. Would rather a warmer, but snowier Dec in a heartbeat.

Already talked about this a month ago with Will, but that December '89 cold blast was so powerful that coastal South Carolina saw 8-16" of snow. It'll have to take a very historic pattern to even surpass that month which, thankfully for us, I can't see that happening again anytime soon.

12 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Already talked about this a month ago with Will, but that December '89 cold blast was so powerful that coastal South Carolina saw 8-16" of snow. It'll have to take a very historic pattern to even surpass that month which, thankfully for us, I can't see that happening again anytime soon.

Well it hasn’t been soon.... it’s been almost 30 years ago (I know it’s hard to believe that 1989 is practically 30 years ago), so if it does go to that extreme...it’s been a while.    But hoping it doesn’t go there...don’t need that kind of cold.

15 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Yeah that was a doozy. I've seen pics from that storm down there. Suppression depression here, but you guys got nailed. When I mean Dec 89, I just mean the cold and dry stuff. There is nothing worse than that. I love cold, but as someone who lives on the coast...I treat cold and dry a as kick in the nads. All that cold going unused. It's fine if there is good snowcover, but bare ground with frost heaves the size of the Grand Canyon..ugh. We did have some snow OTG that month though, but that was classic 80s. 

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

wet dreams at dusk?

Sadly, it’s the truth. When Jimmy jacks corn, I snort pixie dust, and I don’t care.

Being you’re east of Danbury now...you’re gonna be in a bit better spot when all the big Dogs shift east last minute lol....

watch now everything this year will hug now that you moved from out west 

6 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Like PF said, 33" is all time max depth at BTV (going back to the late 1800's with missing date in the 1920's and 30's) 4ft probably not too realistic.

I would “like” this but I can’t. I had 35” OTG less than 2 years ago after the Jan ‘16 storm down here. BTV will be quite the change. 

9 hours ago, das said:

I would “like” this but I can’t. I had 35” OTG less than 2 years ago after the Jan ‘16 storm down here. BTV will be quite the change. 

But you'll find more consistent winter-like conditions compared to MD. That should wet your appetite. The cold will be quite the change.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

But you'll find more consistent winter-like conditions compared to MD. That should wet your appetite. The cold will be quite the change.

Yeah despite the occasional time where their peak snow depth in central MD got higher...it's not contest the other 98% of the time. BTV won't go a month or two with no snow in the winter. Their floor is about 35-40" in a winter. 

Archived