Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

22 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Might not be ideal for snow as you posit, but that's an historic block being depicted on the 12z GFS. Obviously far out there, but this would be very rare territory with 582dm heights over Anchorage. Could be a good pattern for clippers/LES with the northern jet racing in from Saskatchewan.gfsblockdec.thumb.gif.d419b357f53942c35c87b16006758eaa.gif

Post the more realistic ensemble mean.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Post the more realistic ensemble mean.

the 384 hourness of that is probably arresting - or should be... as in, stopping one from wanting or needing to do any such comparison.  :) 

having said that ... i wonder if there is a database that ranking those objects in the atmosphere?  i'm sure there is - in fact .. vague memory of maybe Plymouth State maybe... anyway, record high heights... 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

the 384 hourness of that is probably arresting - or should be... as in, stopping one from from wanting or needing to do any such comparison.  :) 

Well my point is one perturbation shows an extreme scenario and the op run by itself beyond d3 is misleading.

42 minutes ago, das said:

What's the largest snowpack you've ever had?  Mine was 48.5" here in Central Maryland in Feb 2010 with 52" measured OTG just NE of me.  I'm not thinking I'll ever see that in my new place just south of Burlington.  Hope I'm wrong though...

Like PF said, 33" is all time max depth at BTV (going back to the late 1800's with missing date in the 1920's and 30's) 4ft probably not too realistic.

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Like PF said, 33" is all time max depth at BTV (going back to the late 1800's with missing date in the 1920's and 30's) 4ft probably not too realistic.

Remember, it took an all-time historic run for that to occur down there for him, while we swallowed bitter pill after bitter pill up here.

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We prob get about 3 or 4 inverted trough events per year. They are usually nuisance crap events and once you hit January and February you basically have little interest in a 1.3" snow event. But this early it is a little more intriguing. 

One of our volunteer interns (now met intern at ALY) did a study on inverted trofs in the region, and his average was 3-4 per cool season. Your memory bank strikes again.

Though he found that of all the trofs in the study window (last 10 years) 63% were headlined (could also be an advisory of course). Now he also identified the trofs by visually inspecting pressure patterns, so a broad, weak event may slip through the cracks. The point really is the true inverted trofs are more often than not headline-able events. But they also tend to be localized enough that they are meh-ed.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Champlain valley just isn't a great snow retention spot. The CAD there is very weak and they get plenty of downslope dandies.

To me it's not the downslope dandies, that's not even that bad... it's the fact that there's no barrier from the Hudson Valley to the Champlain valley so it starts blowing from the south and it's all over.  It's like a feedback loop too...south winds get funneled between the Dacks and Greens, which just increases the flow and the warmth transport.  Mild nights with south winds at 40F while it's 25F at MVL/MPV, lots of that stuff.   Long prolonged melts.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It also built up heights a bit more in AK. As Will alluded to, it may help force troughing west and not be cold and dry. Of course this is just one run.

I always root for the trough to dig into the lakes.

No use for 5*F with cobalt blue skies and a biting wind....at least not with barren, cracked earth under foot-

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

haha, i just want drama - ...snow's always been fun for me, but not quite in the wheelhouse of 'that or bust.'  i want huge storm and/or giant events that challenge the very endurance of man. 

it just so happens to be, for the next 4.5 months we're not getting that from heat waves and basket ball sized hail. 

although... i'm in Will's camp that there's something truly ...almost of engineering prominence in the gathering forces that construct the life-cycle of big bomb. 

what i would give to take the entire scope of modern technology and transport it back in time to say 7 days before March 13 1888 ... what a 10 days that would be.

I'd toss my modern technology out the window after I poured rain on top of a foot of snow, while NYC witnessed the white armageddon.

I'll take my technology and wormhole to groundhog day 1978.

6 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Actually Ray, I personally would like a deep trough into the OH Valley more so than the Great Lakes, Great lakes is too far north for a nice coastal storm on the New England benchmark, Oh Valley with a trough digging as far southeast as Cape Hatteras, NC

I mean the trough centered at the longitude of the great lakes....but yes, the closed low barreling through the ORV.

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

To me it's not the downslope dandies, that's not even that bad... it's the fact that there's no barrier from the Hudson Valley to the Champlain valley so it starts blowing from the south and it's all over.  It's like a feedback loop too...south winds get funneled between the Dacks and Greens, which just increases the flow and the warmth transport.  Mild nights with south winds at 40F while it's 25F at MVL/MPV, lots of that stuff.   Long prolonged melts.

Yeah the lack of CAD is the main culprit....you see it all over the northeast and New England, the best CAD spots are where the snow tends to pile up and retain...but I've often been surprised at how mild they are sometimes on a good west flow, so it definitely doesn't help. But the CAD is really the driver...even today you could see it...they had this SSW flow and shot up to 43...meanwhile most places to the east stayed in the 30s....some even struggling to crack freezing at similar elevation.

Archived