Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco thread 2

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Can't see widespread amounts like that unless we get a stall or something. MIRACLE MAYBE

I could see a widespread 12" being very possible! If everything plays out as planned actually i think its likely nw of i95

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Can't see widespread amounts like that unless we get a stall or something. MIRACLE MAYBE

One of the features that the GFS is showing is an upper level disturbance bowling through after the initial slug of moisture from the developing low off the coast. If that upper level disturbance is strong enough.. it will help to fill in the dry slot and we could see a 12+ hour period of moderate snow.

3 hours ago, Fozz said:

I'm not saying it can't happen, all I'm saying is that with this much uncertainty and with still being 5 days away, the chance of this becoming a big storm is less than 50%. Maybe I should've worded it better. I'm definitely not cancelling this like BaltWxguy, so no worries :) 

3 hours ago, mappy said:

All good buddy! :) 

Changed my mind after the 12z runs.... I feel much more confident now about a big storm. Not a sure thing, but I love the way things are trending now that we're inside 5 days. The H5 depiction on the GFS really stood out for me.

Historically in DC, the "ideal" for vort passes at 500mb is the Kentucky/Virginia/West Virginia state line.  Today's 12z GFS is very close to that, needs to be just a bit further south.  If the Euro looks even similar to the 12z GFS, then we could be in for something very special.

5 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Changed my mind after the 12z runs.... I feel much more confident now about a big storm. Not a sure thing, but I love the way things are trending now that we're inside 5 days. The H5 depiction on the GFS really stood out for me.

I've been out of the loop all morning. Briefly checked early. Looks good, if it happens. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

That trailing upper level low likely won't give much more than instability snows in the 1-2" dept. The atmosphere already unleashed the mid-levels prior to that panel. There's only so much it can do. 

I have seen it happen in the past though.  as soon as you think you are getting dry-slotted..  you get that fill in effect from the west...  You watch it spin through on the radar... What do you mean be 'Unleashed the mid levels"?

Just now, PDIII said:

I have seen it happen in the past though.  as soon as you think you are getting dry-slotted..  you get that fill in effect from the west...  You watch it spin through on the radar... What do you mean be 'Unleashed the mid levels"?

The main event takes a lot out of the atmosphere. The only times a trailing upper level low produces well (like Jan 2010 here or Feb 2014 down in SW VA) is when they are strong to begin with. As depicted on the GFS it's a pretty weak ULL. It could "keep things going" but big precip totals are very unlikely at best. The mid level energy is far off in the distance by this time. It would be vigorous snowshowers splattered around and not a shield of precip. 

Just now, osfan24 said:

January 2010 was great with the upper level low coming in and putting down another 4-6 for everyone.

Yes it was. It was also a beast of a bowling ball  approaching from the SW. The one the gfs shows is a little duck pin bowling ball sweeping through from the west.  

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

It's good to be in the bullseye snow axis at a 5-6 day lead time right? I mean, what could possibly go wrong for our subforums? Pretty much a lock with only room for marked improvements at this point yes?

I dont know... we have never been in this territory this year... Having a storm within the 5ish day window

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The main event takes a lot out of the atmosphere. The only times a trailing upper level low produces well (like Jan 2010 here or Feb 2014 down in SW VA) is when they are strong to begin with. As depicted on the GFS it's a pretty weak ULL. It could "keep things going" but big precip totals are very unlikely at best. The mid level energy is far off in the distance by this time. It would be vigorous snowshowers splattered around and not a shield of precip. 

are you talking about Jan 2011?

Just now, PDIII said:

Jan 2010 is in my top 5. It snowed really fooking for about 4 hours.

Jan 2010, Jan 2016 and Jan 1996 are probably my top 3. Feb 2003, Feb 2010, Dec 2009 are next. And then I'd probably toss in Jan 2000, Jan 2011 and Feb 2014 I think it was. I don't remember 93 well enough to include unfortunately.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived