Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 st/Feb 1st Clipper Obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I looked to the west and it looked pretty shredded to me... but it was obvious after you pointed it out that I was looking in the wrong place. We ended up getting a nice burst of heavy snow... I have no problem admitting I messed up on that.. I'll own it... part of the learning process 

I'm busting.  Your area did look good for round 1 though. Good warm advection, nice soundings etc. 

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I looked to the west and it looked pretty shredded to me... but it was obvious after you pointed it out that I was looking in the wrong place. We ended up getting a nice burst of heavy snow... I have no problem admitting I messed up on that.. I'll own it... part of the learning process 

You don't look at anything other than a cursory glance of snow maps and qpf. You did it on the blizzard and this one. You downplay every single snow event. Never promote or pump or hype and it's just a terrible way to go thru life 

These quick hitters on very cold days are a recipe for bad road conditions. Greased from the get go today. Understand that there are more smaller events but this data from Wisconsin is pretty evident of why it's not the huge storms we need so much attention on road wise,its these little guys. I hope NWS and DOT really start stressing and laying down the salt for the little ones

IMG_0277.JPG

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Just measured again after that last burst went through, 3.5 inches in Southington.   Nice event here for sure.  

Wonder if that burst down by you now makes it up this way??   

It is on the move northeast but weakened a bit, you should see a nice little burst shortly or right now

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

These quick hitters on very cold days are a recipe for bad road conditions. Greased from the get go today. Understand that there are more smaller events but this data from Wisconsin is pretty evident of why it's not the huge storms we need so much attention on road wise,its these little guys. I hope NWS and DOT really start stressing and laying down the salt for the little ones

IMG_0277.JPG

Makes sense...it's the little ones that catch folks off guard.  

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

The precip is basically going to blossom over SNE...you'll see some hints out in NY State, but you can't entirely just extrapolate radar eastward right now. And yes, the IVT is the wildcard...maybe it produces and maybe it doesn't....if it does, someone lucky (prob NE MA or somewhere close) will get a nice surprise overnight.

Thanks Will

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That's not our call. And it's not like this light snow wasn't forecast. 

But it's definitely the small, untreated events with complacent drivers that do the most damage.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's not our call. And it's not like this light snow wasn't forecast. 

But it's definitely the small, untreated events with complacent drivers that do the most damage.

People are dumb. The nws and all their social science stuff can't fix stupid. If some meatball in a F150 wants to do 75 on a snow covered road and cause a 80 car pileup...nothing you can do.

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

Scott it looks like it's going to start to enhance around the coast now 

We may see some bands or cellular stuff start over the water and slowly move west. The question is, how does weak low pressure develop? Does it start near BOS and give a quick burst for a couple of hours before moving NE or is it more towards BVY or offshore?  

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We may see some bands or cellular stuff start over the water and slowly move west. The question is, how does weak low pressure develop? Does it start near BOS and give a quick burst for a couple of hours before moving NE or is it more towards BVY or offshore?  

Yeah going with a blend of modeling you would expect an inch or two at BOS and 2-4" additional at Cape Ann.

I'm leaning toward 101 Seacoast for invt due to trends today on mesos. 

51 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You don't look at anything other than a cursory glance of snow maps and qpf. You did it on the blizzard and this one. You downplay every single snow event. Never promote or pump or hype and it's just a terrible way to go thru life 

That's not really true, but thanks for the input.

I prefer not to focus on everything that "could" go right. If that is your preference, fine.. no issues with that.

Sometimes it pays to be a little conservative and not always jump to the best case scenario. I felt like today was one of those days..and it worked out fairly well, admittedly I may have been a bit low though.

If I remember correctly... the storm In early jan def fell below some expectations... especially out west. This area did well... but overall... I fee like the storm disappointed.

and as an aside... is someone being pessimistic every event any different than people who will ride whatever model prints the most snow for them? Both extremes are usually incorrect 

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

In hindsight, I overestimated round 1 at BOS. I thought they would do better than .25" Seems like they'll come in on the low side for this one. Round 2 is looking rather meager at least for now in that area.

This is what really hurts in low snow years, low busts.  It's not just that this area is doing badly but in comparison to nearby area's we are falling behind fast and faster. I know nobody here is doing really well but this area has been getting a serious hosing.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That's not really true, but thanks for the input.

I prefer not to focus on everything that "could" go right. If that is your preference, fine.. no issues with that.

Sometimes it pays to be a little conservative and not always jump to the best case scenario. I felt like today was one of those days..and it worked out fairly well, admittedly I may have been a bit low though.

If I remember correctly... the storm In early jan def fell below some expectations... especially out west. This area did well... but overall... I fee like the storm disappointed.

and as an aside... is someone being pessimistic every event any different than people who will ride whatever model prints the most snow for them? Both extremes are usually incorrect 

My Outlook $hit the bed in January...unequivocally.

Archived