joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 st/Feb 1st Clipper Obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some folks don't like it, but I don't give a rat's a$$.....call a spade, a spade.

This event blew to high hell imo, from the start.

Though it was decent south, which I said if it succeeded anywhere, it would there.....even back when folks were "pike points N"ing it to death.

Garbage event back this way, but I wasn't disappointed.

I get the whole mid level consideration...I really do......but its also important to consider whether model QPF is paltry bc the system just isn't that impressive....I mean, sit on the H85 low all you want and spin, but at the end of the day, no one cares if the flakes don't reach human begins.

EURO never had impressive QPF....those that did, are busting....at least here.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I get the whole mid level consideration...I really do......but its also important to consider whether model QPF is paltry bc the system just isn't that impressive....I mean, sit on the H85 low all you want and spin, but at the end of the day, no one cares if the flakes don't reach human begins.

EURO never had impressive QPF....those that did, are busting....at least here.

Model QPF definitely plays a roll, as much as some hate it.  Even in the favorable areas it's mostly ratios that do it (say mid level magic stuff)...model QPF is usually a good place to start as much as traditionalist mets hate it.  You just have to figure out the ratios from model QPF and you'll do quite well forecasting.

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

This event blows dead rats.  This winter on balance to date is among the all time duds.  And I had the worst forecast of anyone.  I can't wait till it's warm enough to not even think about this abortion.

Lmao..I hear you that it blows there.  It didn't blow here though.  We've watched you guys in eastern mass clean up constantly lately..pretty much since 2015.  Southeast mass  had the big one in early January..I got 6.5 inches, and peeps out east got 16-19 inches.  

It ain't over yet Jerry..hang in there. 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

That's not our call. And it's not like this light snow wasn't forecast. 

But it's definitely the small, untreated events with complacent drivers that do the most damage.

The science behind the process certainly should be a priority for DOT. I cringe at the not my job attitude. Public Safety and intergovernmental diagnosis of even light freezing drizzle is extremely important.  It's not always the super bowl and how many touchdowns you get. I and many others have seen the finger pointing by State and Federal agencies. Somebody needs to step up and identify when critical events are likely. Extra crews, more chemicals, more pretreatment based on the science.  The simpleton oh it's the guy going 60s fault doesn't always work. A combination of events , very cold surfaces, quick accumulation and time of day.  The untreated roads today were like grease immediately.  There is a huge difference between  variable light snow at 31 degrees and quickly accumulating  light snow at 25 after a night in the teens. I  was pleased to see the SPS yesterday by Mt Holly. Very specific and toned out. Let's maybe change the focus from how many inches to impact based forecasts.  It's over due 

Archived