Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 st/Feb 1st Clipper Obs

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You have like 12"more than I do, so you can't really compare perspectives....this has been like a mini 2010 with a snow hole in these parts.

Snow growth is good,but....when snow is not sticking to the pavement on a 25* night in January, the event sucks it-

Warmth of the last couple weeks was evident on paved surfaces around here.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

glad folks are getting a nice snowfall.   Enjoy it!   I think round 2 will still favor S of the Pike

South of pike region has had a good run the past several years....I don't know how many times I have watched Kev-Steve-Bob have an outright snowstorm, while my ground has hardly been whitened.

I just knew this one was destined to do the same-

SNE in general has had an epic run, but there is a hierarchy of epic.....they are at the top...this area isn't.

14 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Still better than 01-02 and 11-12, well maybe right around there with 11-12 at least that had a historic October snowstorm

I would disagree.   In both of those years you knew early it was a full on ratter.  This one continues to tantalize leaving you to masturbate in the corner just to relieve the pressure.  At least a warm dry winter is comfortable.

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

Light flurries.....0.0" on the ground.  NWS will bust bad here.

I don't know what some of these outlets were smoking....but some of them need to check themselves into a NAM clinic bc they need to stop using, and get sober.

One blog had 3-5" with locally higher amounts here....even Harv. had 2-4".

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't know what some of these outlets were smoking....but some of them need t check themselves into a NAM clinic bc they need to stop using.

Yeah, several of them had 3-5" up here, even as late as this morning.  Don't know what they had during the afternoon and evening tho.

Just now, White Rain said:

I don't think the forecasts were that bad. All it would have taken were a couple decent bands for this to add up quickly north of the pike. I could see many places getting to the low end of the 2-4" range, but a few locations near the border/out in western MA may get screwed with this one. 

Sorry, dude...that is the difference between busting, and not busting.

"The forecast wasn't bad, but that period of heavy snow that was supposed to signficanty impact society never happened"

1 minute ago, White Rain said:

Boston into Northeast MA has definitely got the shaft this year so far - which was made all the more tough with last winter. I think it's sucked out here too - but more from a retention and warmth standpoint. We have had some decent and semi frequent events.

ORH came into today barely below average for snowfall on the season. But yeah retention hasn't been very good...and it's been small to moderate events. It's not amazingly unusual historically but for recent years years it has been. An interesting stat...last time ORH failed to get a double digit event was 2007-2008 (kind of funny it was that winter and not a ratter...I think 6 warning events that year but none 10"+). But historically ORH did have some winters without a double digit snowfall. About 1 every 3-4 years on average. So we've been skating around that average. Only 2001-2002 joined 2007-2008 as winters without a double digit snowfall at ORH since 2000. 

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm looking at radar

That's the thing...can't tell by looking at radar yet. Those weak returns in NY will blossom more and drop a couple inches over us late tonight if it pans out. If they stay weak or slip north, then it's a bust north of the pike. 

11 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Boston into Northeast MA has definitely got the shaft this year so far - which was made all the more tough with last winter sucking big time. I think it's sucked out here too - but more from a retention and warmth standpoint. We have had some decent and semi frequent events.

This area fanned on the blizzard last year, too....at least Boston got a moderate event from that.

Agree, Will......total story not yet written....I think I'll see 1-3" tonight.

46 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Still better than 01-02 and 11-12, well maybe right around there with 11-12 at least that had a historic October snowstorm

06-07 and 07-08 were pretty terrible down this way too. My 1st two winters in CT. Even now...one more minor event should help me eclipse last year...only 3-4" away. So 10 years in CT...assuming one more minor-mod event and no blockbuster to close out this year, this year will come in right in the middle for the last decade.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

06-07 and 07-08 were pretty terrible down this way too. My 1st two winters in CT. Even now...one more minor event should help me eclipse last year...only 3-4" away. So 10 years in CT...assuming one more minor-mod event and no blockbuster to close out this year, this year will come in right in the middle for the last decade.

Yeah its not a "ratter" by any means in CT. When you are at or near normal, thats exactly what it is...an average ho-hum winter. A ratter is 2001-2002. That is everyone's worst nightmare.

Last year was actually pretty good i got about 140% of normal snowfall. 2 events over 10", 2 warnings, 2 adivsory events. Jan 23rd was awesome, 14.4" final from the possibility of it missing us only the night before..

Archived