• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

The Atlanta to Raleigh to shaggy folks would like this UKMet look at this time range....while the Big Frosty folks would like the GFS better

j5yszt.gif

In general the last 2-3 winters the UKMET has virtually always caught onto a system being more amped in the 120-144 hour range when the GFS/CMC/Euro are not.  The one exception I remember was the mid February AL/NRN GA/SC/NC snow event in 2015 where it was also late to the party.  So overall good news for now for southern area.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

JB tweet

GFS looks too far south to me as per usual bias. Its all over the place, next run something different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is silly is his comment simply ignores all the other modeling that says this is a non-event for the midatlantic and points north ....and a much more minor event (than the GFS) for the southeast.

I get this whole every winter storm goes north and buries DC to BOS and I am sure it will.   I am sure the super suppressed/progressive CMC/UK will come around but if the models are correct in building a W to N ridge behind the storm a more progressive low is favored, just depends on how far south it digs and strength of low.  The GFS is on the strong end of the spectrum.  

IMG_3839.PNG

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I get this whole every winter storm goes north and buries DC to BOS and I am sure it will.   I am sure the super suppressed/progressive CMC/UK will come around but if the models are correct in building a W to N ridge behind the storm a more progressive low is favored, just depends on how far south it digs and weaker.  The GFS is on the strong end of the spectrum.  

What do you mean when you say "more progressive?" Is the idea that a W to N ridge behind the storm will try to "shove" the storm further south/east?

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I get this whole every winter storm goes north and buries DC to BOS and I am sure it will.   I am sure the super suppressed/progressive CMC/UK will come around but if the models are correct in building a W to N ridge behind the storm a more progressive low is favored, just depends on how far south it digs and strength of low.  The GFS is on the strong end of the spectrum.  

IMG_3839.PNG

Pack, I just worry about the GFS in that usually with its tendencies during this timeframe, it tends to be more weak and suppressed usually. Will that 1040 MB High up near Montreal help to keep the storm track more suppressed or does this thing still have a chance to go negative even quicker and ride up right over us? Also, the Euro is doing the complete opposite that it usually does, whereas it ejects the western system out the fastest. Usually it has a tendency to hold back s/w the most. Has the upgrades changed these errors and biases from what we are accustomed to?

36 minutes ago, Wow said:

A lot depends on the speed of the s/w.  At 0z Jan 6, we find:

0z Euro: s/w is weaker and faster located in NV at the time -> strung out

0z GFS/12z NAM: slower [and/or] stronger and over W Oregon -> amped up and further north (at least with the 0z GFS)

18z, 6z, 12z GFS: in the middle of these solutions, located near SE Oregon -> money

Exactly. This is really all I'm watching is that s/w digging and when it starts. I'm just wondering IF or when the Euro will show a slower, digging solution. Not sure if you saw the GIF link I posted earlier (on my twitter) but Euro trending towards more digging, just not enough, yet. Huge steps though for the last 2 days of runs.

9 minutes ago, packbacker said:

IMG_3839.PNG

The trajectory of the jet behind the storm is roaring and really gonna make it almost impossible to turn north on us.

3 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Pack, I just worry about the GFS in that usually with its tendencies during this timeframe, it tends to be more weak and suppressed usually. Will that 1040 MB High up near Montreal help to keep the storm track more suppressed or does this thing still have a chance to go negative even quicker and ride up right over us? Also, the Euro is doing the complete opposite that it usually does, whereas it ejects the western system out the fastest. Usually it has a tendency to hold back s/w the most. Has the upgrades changed these errors and biases from what we are accustomed to?

Both models have there flaws, GFS may be to fast swinging that trough through and thus less interaction with ULL and thus your left with a progressive ULL digging and big storm.  The Euro may be handling trough more correctly but to much interaction with ULL.   Probably a blend is favored as the that's usually how it works.  The fact that all the other models are weaker and more progressive shows a miss is still possible.

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

The trajectory of the jet behind the storm is roaring and really gonna make it almost impossible to turn north on us.

User Actions
  Follow
b9afb7b1e53699701004cc68ca057270_bigger.Severe Weather Blog@blizzardof96

Even if nudges N are possible, potential for N movement is capped given the 110-130kts H2 jet on backside. NW wind vectors push vort SE.

C1LneBoXgAAP_5F.jpg

3 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Yep look at that deep low in GOA and that 588 ridge in MX, jet should be screaming and ridge should pop...IMO. But there is a reason it doesn't snow a lot around here....one little thing is all it takes to derail.  

3 minutes ago, Wow said:

Something else to consider.. it's going to stay very cold for days after this storm.  Per the GFS, I don't get above freezing until the following Wednesday, and not much above either.

QUBNEkD.png

Good point...and this is the best time of year as far as sun angle goes. It's why i much rather have snow/ice this time of year than in feb or march..the potential for it to hang around on the ground a lot longer. 

Archived