joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, shaggy said:

I was in the bullseye just at the 06z run.and now it's gone. Never good to be a sweet spot this far in advance 

Agree. For your area WAA killing it. Safe bet would be Guilford, Alamance, Rockingham, Forsyth.

That's just another beautiful run, two in a row now. Gotta get the Euro and Canadian in agreeing with leaving the pac low being a bit. Matt East commented in his video today that a few months ago this same situation happened and the GFS scored the coup and was right on leaving it behind.

Doesn't make it right, but at least there's a chance. Can't get our hopes up, but if I'm being honest, I'm pretty fired up.

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

I remember the old NAM with 20-26 inches in Charlotte area before the Feb 04 storm

If I remember correctly, didn't that area get a foot with surface temps marginal at best? Seems the precip rates were off the charts with thundersnow, but surface temps above freezing. Had there been cold surface temps that 20-26 inches could have came to fruition.

2 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Everyone take a deep breath. You will get a stroke watching every run like this. Yes, I am now a bit more interested in seeing what plays out, but do not get your expectations too high just yet. Just sayin' :D

It's tough not to get excited when seeing the last two GFS runs. Good advice on waiting for the euro since it needs to show us the same thing.

4 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

JB tweet

GFS looks too far south to me as per usual bias. Its all over the place, next run something different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

translation...it must be wrong because it doesn't show enough snow for the mid atlantic and northeast. Always has to find a way to hype things for the center of the weather universe. 

4 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

JB tweet

GFS looks too far south to me as per usual bias. Its all over the place, next run something different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand where he's coming from.  The pattern favors a more northern system overall.  However, because of the current timing the GFS has the system is perfectly timed to not go north.

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yeah you want that sweet spot to your south at this range for sure

My best hope is the euro and CMC stay strung out a bit and less amped and the  the storm to be a combination of the gfs and those. That's really my best bet at a big one but we have an eternity in "weather time" to watch this.

Let's fast forward to Thursday, shall we? Sometimes I hate big storm potential more than I enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, shaggy said:

My best hope is the euro and CMC stay strung out a bit and less amped and the  the storm to be a combination of the gfs and those. That's really my best bet at a big one but we have an eternity in "weather time" to watch this.

Anecdotally this is what I want, simply because I've seen so many storms cut north this year.

14 minutes ago, griteater said:

I remember the old NAM with 20-26 inches in Charlotte area before the Feb 04 storm

Don't you talk about Feb 04 Grit, don't you do it. 

Similar storm but I think we had good blocking on 04. Still wondering how this is so suppressed on all the models.

2 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Hey Shaggy, good to hear from you again.... I think a compromise of the big dog we just saw modeled and a less amped more southern solution is certainly possible.  

A lot depends on the speed of the s/w.  At 0z Jan 6, we find:

0z Euro: s/w is weaker and faster located in NV at the time -> strung out

0z GFS/12z NAM: slower [and/or] stronger and over W Oregon -> amped up and further north (at least with the 0z GFS)

18z, 6z, 12z GFS: in the middle of these solutions, located near SE Oregon -> money

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

The Atlanta to Raleigh to shaggy folks would like this UKMet look at this time range....while the Big Frosty folks would like the GFS better

j5yszt.gif

This is opposite of what we usually see with the gfs wanting to shear out/ crush waves coming out under a trough.  Usually the euro is over amped and the gfs is a weak strung out mess.

Archived