Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out to lunch still IMO...beyond extreme. Like 5 days below freezing for many...some nights below zero in the Piedmont...pipes would be freezing and busting. Very unclimo like...not saying there won't be winter weather....but 6z GFS is an extreme outlier IMO. It would be foolish to share this run to the public.

4 minutes ago, AshevilleCityWx said:

Out to lunch still IMO...beyond extreme. Like 5 days below freezing for many...some nights below zero in the Piedmont...pipes would be freezing and busting. Very unclimo like...not saying there won't be winter weather....but 6z GFS is an extreme outlier IMO. It would be foolish to share this run to the public.

We've had cold snaps like this before, why does it have to be an outlier? It's not like is a day 15 GFS crazy cold shot.

9 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

We've had cold snaps like this before, why does it have to be an outlier? It's not like is a day 15 GFS crazy cold shot.

It's worst case scenario. Rare...once a year setup in favorable years when we are talking below zero in the Piedmont. Climo tells me it will not only be warmer...but the warm nose will likely reach as far north as the Virginia border when all is said and done. I believe the most ice would likely be somewhere north of Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh...defiantly not southward!

10 minutes ago, AshevilleCityWx said:

It's worst case scenario. Rare...once a year setup in favorable years when we are talking below zero in the Piedmont. Climo tells me it will not only be warmer...but the warm nose will likely reach as far north as the Virginia border when all is said and done. I believe the most ice would likely be somewhere north of Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh...defiantly not southward!

That Augusta ice storm a few years back, was pretty rough! I think they are due and the 6z GFS, would do it and probably worse!

2 minutes ago, AshevilleCityWx said:

More worried about the warm nose. No way is the 6z GFS anywhere near correct with that heavy icing placement...my faith in that is near a non-zero percentage.

Feb 2013 must have escaped your memory then because the IP/ZR line was south of Columbia, and they had ZR all the way to Charleston.  No, it's certainly not common, but it's by no means unheard of either.

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

That Augusta ice storm a few years back, was pretty rough! I think they are due and the 6z GFS, would do it and probably worse!

Hope so I hate ice here. This could easily trend icy toward north-east Georgia to south-east Virginia...which would of course throw IP and not all snow back into western NC.

1 minute ago, J.C. said:

Feb 2013 must have escaped your memory then because the IP/ZR line was south of Columbia, and they had ZR all the way to Charleston.  No, it's certainly not common, but it's by no means unheard of either.

It's a different setup can't really compare it to that one.

20 minutes ago, AshevilleCityWx said:

No, it's not a worse case. It's called climo. seen it plenty of times in my 52 years here. Give some reasoning why you think it will not happen as depicted. Our best snows come when the midlands of SC get a crippling ice storm. The rain-snow line sets up just south of a Charlotte-GSP line. As for the low temps.... I assume you understand the effect a fresh snowpack has on overnight lows. Look at what happened in OK a few years ago. There was a pocket of -25 F temps in central OK just after a fresh snow and you had to travel north to the Canadian border to find similar temps. It can and does happen. Now, I will not say that this will happen as modeled, but it is certainly within the believable spectrum.

4 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

No, it's not a worse case. It's called climo. seen it plenty of times in my 52 years here. Give some reasoning why you think it will not happen as depicted.

First reasoning is if ice is already modeled a tick south of all the major S/E metros like 5+ days out...it's going to be awful hard to keep it there. Climo is more favorable to see warm noses surpassing Danville, VA in this setup. I think it may be possible to see better runs of the models after the current severe weather outbreak passes the S/E...possibly starting Wednesday-Thursday timeframe. Until then I expect no agreement among the main globals and inconsistent swings with the GFS op.

RAH discussion (smartly playing it safe):

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
As of 300 AM Monday...

Wednesday through Friday: The cold front will progress through the
area and surface trough will shift offshore on Wednesday and
Wednesday night, with high pressure ridging into the area
thereafter. The cold air advection will lag a bit behind the front,
and as a result highs on Wednesday will still be quite warm, mid 50s
NW to mid 60s SE. Wednesday night lows will bottom out in the low to
mid 30s. Much lower temps for Thursday (highs in the upper 30s to
mid 40s) and Thursday night (lows in the mid 20s to low 30s). Aloft,
the upper level low will remain over the Northern Great Lakes and
Southern Canada during this period. A weak shortwave will pass to
the north, however the weather will be largely dry until Thursday
night. There is a slight chance for rain or snow Thursday night,
though there is some uncertainty on if and where it would occur.
Regardless, impact appears to be minimal at this time.

Friday Night through Monday: Very low forecast confidence from
Friday Night onward as the ECMWF and GFS have completely different
solutions. The ECMWF brings precipitation into Central NC Friday
Night as a low moves northeast along the mid-Atlantic coast, while
the GFS brings it in Saturday Night into Sunday as a second frontal
system moves into/through the area. It is likely the outcome will
fall somewhere in between the two, however blending the two
together, given the significant differences, would not provide a
better forecast. Temperatures with either model solution would
result in the precipitation falling as rain or snow if it does
occur. For now, will lean more toward the ECMWF and introduce a
slight chance for rain or snow in the west late Friday night into
early Saturday, a slight chance of rain Saturday afternoon, and keep
Saturday night dry, though just below slight chance.

&&

About half of the EPS and half of the GEFS members have more than just a dusting of snow here in the ATL area. This has been pretty consistent for many runs now. So no real clarity yet with this setup- we will not get a better handle for at least 3 more days IMO. Getting all depressed or excited about individual Op runs is a waste of time and energy.

Archived