joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

does the NAM show the thursday threat at all?

No, it doesn't quite get in range (precip starts at 00z (7 PM) on the 18z GFS, but the NAM ends 12z Thursday). Also, Tropicaltidbits updated their simulated radar outputs for mesoscale models a few days ago so that models like the NAM don't show a ton of virga.

No, it doesn't quite get in range (precip starts at 00z (7 PM) on the 18z GFS, but the NAM ends 12z Thursday). Also, Tropicaltidbits updated their simulated radar outputs for mesoscale models a few days ago so that models like the NAM don't show a ton of virga.

It's there at 500mb, would likely be a repeat of the 18z GFS if it played out...virtually identical with the first wave it seems. It will start showing up with tomorrow's runs on the Ptype maps
06f822ada0221b88310aed8f2da91d4b.png
b8b76e1682065b44a8e93780e409367d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Jon said:

It's there at 500mb, would likely be a repeat of the 18z GFS if it played out...virtually identical with the first wave it seems. It will start showing up with tomorrow's runs on the Ptype maps
06f822ada0221b88310aed8f2da91d4b.png
b8b76e1682065b44a8e93780e409367d.png

Para NAM looks close to GFS for both wave 1 and 2....FWIW

IMG_3832.PNG

3 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Brad P is live on facebook.  Basically called the GFS crazy and said that first snow on Thursday was extremely weird and makes him give pause to that model.  

He also said he doesn't look at deterministic models and prefers the ensembles...particularly EURO.

Brad is a really good Met. I like the guy... However he can be a bit too conservative when it comes to forecasting snow in Charlotte. On the flip side, if he does forecast snow, you can pretty much count on it.

5 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

GFS trended west with that ULL West of Oregon and Washington. Run hasn't finished, lets see, maybe something changes. 

Technically it did, but when you consider the difference between the 00z/18z and today's 12z run, that's hardly much of a difference overall.

EDIT: The difference is more noticeable at 78 now... Still way better than the 12z, but you're right actually....

10 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I'm just worried that with everyone saying this will be a front loaded winter, that if we don't cash in the next 2 weeks we are done.

"Everyone"? Not me. But then who am I but a long time hobbyist who studies, has posted since early October and am sticking with - an AN Dec, Normal Jan (with a chance of one big blast around or after the 15th), wet and cool Feb, with summer starting in March (all for down this way, but extrapolate further north). This is based on my own analysis (mostly tropics this year and past set ups) and I would not take it to Kroeger, Publix, Ingles or BiLo and try to spend these thoughts! But I'll share them like pennies in a parking lot.

Out to 99hr, wave 1 produced snow over nc once again. Shortwave starting to dig *yikes at that auto correct* and will be caught, most likely another repeat close to the 18z run.

Archived