Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As amped/North as the 00z GFS was, I think it would still be a nice winter storm for many as depicted. Wedging would hold on longer and you would probably see a better miller B type transfer opposed to the surface low traveling across the mountains.  Probably a quick burst of snow followed by lots of sleet.

5 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

I always say when the models swing wildly....ride the ensembles. That's the best course of action. I hope the NWS offices tomorrow morning will throw out the 0z GFS run as an outlier.

FYP ;)

But seriously, can we PLEASE get some sort of EURO agreement tonight? I don't think anyone's gonna bite (tv mets/NWS) on anything for Saturday until the EURO shows something.

37 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

Looks like around a half inch in the favorable areas, maybe more snow than zr in Rabun County.

Been lurking around on here for a few months, but saw my little home town of Rabun County mentioned so figured I might as well say hello. I'm a senior at UGA right now and working on getting my Geography degree and a certificate in Atmospheric Sciences and needless to say I've been a weather geek since I was a kid, so I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I've got this semester off at home for some family reasons and have been looking forward to the winter. Having spent the last 3 1/2 years in Athens, winter weather has been hard to come by and the pictures from home were absolute torture. So hopefully the mountains of North GA will treat me kindly this weekend. 

17 minutes ago, griteater said:

Looking at the GFS Ensemble members, I counted 8 that were SE centered hits, with another 8 that were Mid Atlantic centered hits....rest were something else, usually weak or no system.

I see 3 that are tracking it like the Op, up in KY.  If we can just keep it south of us...although  whiff is just  as likely as a rain per the ens. 

IMG_3835.PNG

25 minutes ago, griteater said:

It's just so very common for the height pattern to shift north than it is for it to shift south...just a common bias in the modeling.  For now, we stay in the game

Especially without a stout Atlantic block.  When was the last time we had an event that didn't affect the MA.   It's a given that if we get something so will they.  

1 minute ago, griteater said:

Out to 81, Euro has positive tilt Pac wave in N Nevada.  GFS at same time had it still off the Oregon coast.  Wave looks just a touch stronger than prev run.  Early guess is that this should be a decent run

Looks nothing like GFS at 84.   More like the CMC if anything. 

Archived