Newest Member
    joxey
12z GFS Fantasy Range, hy brid storm brings feet of rain to SNE

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I would still watch SE US if it turns N a bit later, but not looking good up here. 

Looking pretty damn good if your a surfer. There will be massive surf and beach erosion regardless of the offshore track. Ruggles in new port RI could see 20 foot surf with this

38 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's always a long shot. This is a cane out at d7-8. It's still progged to go up the eastern seaboard so at least give it the weekend to see how the synoptics shake out. It's going to be a long winter if we have lalaland leapfrogging like this.

Same thing happens every year. I was poking around the Irene and Sandy threads the other day and saw the same dismissive tenor in many posts at the 140-180 hour range. And undoubtedly they will happen with every future threat, including those that fully deliver. Sure it fits climo that this should miss (it probably will) and being dismissive balms egos in danger of disappointment. But the fact remains that a powerful tropical cyclone is on all modeling moving north through the Bahamas, the upper air pattern is fluid and far from locked down, and the models often struggle with speed/track/intensity of cyclones. If this were a Jan nor'easter scraping at 70 hours, we would be getting posts telling us to expect the next runs to start backing it in, that the upper air isn't well sampled etc., but with a tropical system it's obviously correct at 170 hours. Anyway, I'm happy just to watch this evolve and am really impressed it's intensifying in the face of 20kt+ shear.

58 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's always a long shot. This is a cane out at d7-8. It's still progged to go up the eastern seaboard so at least give it the weekend to see how the synoptics shake out. It's going to be a long winter if we have lalaland leapfrogging like this.

Lol...I never even looked much at this at all...so any changes in forecast between day 10 and day 8 were basically hidden to me. Maybe I'll take a mild interest by Sunday or Monday if models are showing a close pass.

7 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

lol. The mass exodus begins at 8 days out. 

Makes me look forward to the same thing happening in the winter.

We used to have a weenie tag for these types of threads. Especially when they occurred in winter. A little more slack in the autumn when nothing else is going on.  

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

Lol I was wrong!

heh... yeah i was jokin' too - 

this thing's a b**ch - seems the governing tenor of the models have been to torment here :)    ...soon as interest wanes they seem to unilaterally puke out a blockbuster solution - then, hearts rattle by their deliberate next run of harmlessness.  

it's like Bart Simpson when he recorded Millhouse being crushed by Lisa, his sister.  He kept rewinding to the precise moment Lisa says no, and Milhouse reacts, over and over again, while saying, "Watch .. .the exact moment when the heart breaks" - and laughing in Schadenfreude (means taking joy in other people's misery).  

that what the models are ... winter, summer, spring ... hurricanes, they are taking Schadenfreude from getting people all lubed up and hard for a big lie, only to orgasm when they make everyone's balls blue.  

... venture in creative writing over ... 

in any case, it would be foolish and un-educated to think some sort of direct affliction is not plausible along the EC, regardless of the 00z runs.  There is too much time.  For one... the N. Atlantic teleconnector seems to be quasi-in line here, with a couple of powerful Icelandic bombs rotating up there; that tends to balance mass-fields with some sort of mid and lower tropospheric blocking in the form of high pressure SW of Greenland.  that's pretty well agreed upon.  More over, not sure anyone can be certain that ..backward transitive influence on the flow along and astride the EC is correct as that region may not be correctly handled to begin with. 

the list goes on... then we have to be perfectly modeling the MW trough components too?  good luck... too much going on just yet. 

Archived