Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z GFS Fantasy Range, hy brid storm brings feet of rain to SNE

USCAPEWEATHERAF

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

it's like Bart Simpson when he recorded Millhouse being crushed by Lisa, his sister.  He kept rewinding to the precise moment Lisa says no, and Milhouse reacts, over and over again, while saying, "Watch .. .the exact moment when the heart breaks" - and laughing in Schadenfreude (means taking joy in other people's misery).  

Fiona!!!

Still an interesting storm to watch and things are still far from set in stone.  Will it be a double hard right storm?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a personal and unbiased note since I'm not buddies with anyone here, I'd like to see the mods rein in some of these long distance threads. I know people will have hurt feelings when the thread they started at 240+ hours gets deleted but they'll get the hint. I hate to single people out but James is one of the worst offenders for this. If this sort of thing goes unchecked this winter, it's going to get people agitated due to emotional investment.

10 minutes ago, Hazey said:

On a personal and unbiased note since I'm not buddies with anyone here, I'd like to see the mods rein in some of these long distance threads. I know people will have hurt feelings when the thread they started at 240+ hours gets deleted but they'll get the hint. I hate to single people out but James is one of the worst offenders for this. If this sort of thing goes unchecked this winter, it's going to get people agitated due to emotional investment.

yeeeah... i see your point.  but, that also teeters close to the realm of censorship and the stifling of 'wonder' 

i'd say tighter moderating is okay, as long as it doesn't actually silence voices - which i don't agree with.

14 minutes ago, Hazey said:

We're buddies

#hugs

Well I see the censorship point but at the same time starting a thread with about a storm based on one 384hr solution, doesn't do anything for the forum. Maybe there is an easier way than just deleting but this going to be one heck of a winter if James (or anyone else) starts a thread every time they see a model run that shows a blizzard. Perhaps just leave the status quo I guess. Sorry don't mean to stir a pot.

Just now, Hazey said:

Well I see the censorship point but at the same time starting a thread with about a storm based on one 384hr solution, doesn't do anything for the forum. Maybe there is an easier way than just deleting but this going to be one heck of a winter if James (or anyone else) starts a thread every time they see a model run that shows a blizzard. Perhaps just leave the status quo I guess. Sorry don't mean to stir a pot.

We will definitely be more strict with our moderating as we get into the "busy" season.  Think of this thread as a warm-up.  Like years past we will probably have a non-specific model discussion thread where we can discuss anything.  Get systems to within 4-5 days and we can spin off specific threads.  Hindsight, his one could have been lumped in the to TC thread we already have.

We will definitely be more strict with our moderating as we get into the "busy" season.  Think of this thread as a warm-up.  Like years past we will probably have a non-specific model discussion thread where we can discuss anything.  Get systems to within 4-5 days and we can spin off specific threads.  Hindsight, his one could have been lumped in the to TC thread we already have.

I think that's great. We have our own local weather forum where it's done that way and it works awesome. I don't mean to poo poo the kid. He is obviously very passionate about the weather but he has to practice some self control and every once and a while it's up to us community members to help him with that.

We definitely will be deleting specific threat threads in the winter if they are posted this far out.

A day 10-11 model solution is basically meaningless for a specific threat. We certainly talk about teleconnectors at this time frame in the winter and how perhaps they may support a higher probability of a winter storm within a narrower range of days than pure randomness, but that wasn't the spirit of this thread.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We definitely will be deleting specific threat threads in the winter if they are posted this far out.

A day 10-11 model solution is basically meaningless for a specific threat. We certainly talk about teleconnectors at this time frame in the winter and how perhaps they may support a higher probability of a winter storm within a narrower range of days than pure randomness, but that wasn't the spirit of this thread.

I thought people didn't like probabilities either

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

better idea - just lock them...   don't delete.   that sort of heavy handed approach is fascist to put it nicely. 

but if you 'lock' the thread, people will get the message without being suppressed in their opinions - in theory ... i guess in dealing with the general public you get all types and well, heh... it probably wouldn't matter.  

whatever.  anyway, i don't think this thread went up when this Matthew system was 384 hours out though - i think that's an exaggeration that the 'cause' of impugning is getting swept away in.  

having said that... yeah, even a D9 threat is silly ...ah ... er.   sometimes, however, a long lead threat carries more weight  - not so much in the deterministic sense, but in the 'something to look for'  I know back in the days of Eastern, and up until about 4 years ago ... i used to start threads about two week potentials; i did well, but i employed more than model awe in my analytics, too.  

probably?  it just comes down to case-by-case, thread-by-thread basis for usefulness.   maybe that, there, is the best approach.

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Man this thing is still a week away or more until it gets up this way...that's a long time.  Anything is still possible with this that's for sure.  Certainly not calling for any type of hit in SNE, but the lead time is still so significant that absolutely nothing can be counted on/counted out at all.

And the thread was started 5 days ago.  Thread should have been started for a storm hitting us now, not an additional week away.

this may in fact be the most tormented solution we've seen on this thing, to date...

why? 

cuz ... in this paradigm, it gets close enough to have packed isobars but no wind, because the left quadrant gets hosed by polarward accelerating COC teases ...  

it's amazing?  the atmoshere/models are literally engineering the collective misery on purpose ..

muah hahahahaha

Imagine, Hermine was suppose to be bad, but ended up being a dud. Watch Matthew be the big deal.kinda reminds me of Irene being not horribly bad,everyone getting mad at media etc, then Sandy comes and no one takes it totally serious..

Of course  this isn't like either of those storms,but who really knows, maybe it will surprise and hit us,and no one will take it seriously. After Hermine screw up,and it coming way later, not many will be so quick to believe Matthew coming,if it did. 

Archived